Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time for playoff committee to have rules not guidelines
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Time for playoff committee to have rules not guidelines

Nov 27, 2018, 8:00 PM

I said this last year and was accused by coot fans of being afraid of playing Bama. The committee should only be allowed to choose a power 5 conference CHAMPION to play in the CFP. This committee has too much power to put whomever they want in the playoff.
This takes away from the revealence of the regular season. How can a two loss team be put in the playoff ahead of a one loss team? How can a team that does not win its conference championship be in the playoff much less a team that has not won its division.
As for all the independents they will join conferences the day the rule goes into effect.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let two SEC teams make the final cut again this year and

Nov 27, 2018, 8:06 PM

watch the outcries across the land.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rools? Dey don' need no steeenkin' rools.

Nov 27, 2018, 8:18 PM

They don't even need no stink'n guidelines. TV tells 'em whatever they need to know.

this is the only reason I want Uga to beat bama

Nov 27, 2018, 9:16 PM

So that there is an all time meltdown when we have 2 sec teams picked over conference champs, and the committee gets its wings clipped.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is the only reason I want Uga to beat bama

Nov 27, 2018, 9:30 PM

A 1 loss Bama deserves to be in. A 1 loss Clemson also deserves to be in.

Why would a one loss Bama or one loss Clemson

Nov 27, 2018, 10:39 PM

both without conference championships, deserve to be in over undefeated Notre Dame or one loss conference champions (Oklahoma, Georgia, or Ohio State)?

In that scenario, I don't think Bama or Clemson deserve to be in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The committee has proven the past few years that

Nov 27, 2018, 10:43 PM

When have they left out a conference champion

Nov 27, 2018, 10:47 PM

when the conference champion is a power 5 school and has the same number of losses as the non-conference champion?

Last year, OSU was a 2 loss conference champion, and USC was a 3 loss conference champion. I don't think Alabama would've gotten in if either of those teams had just 1 loss like Alabama did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I don't think they have

Nov 27, 2018, 10:59 PM

Re: Why would a one loss Bama or one loss Clemson

Nov 27, 2018, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Why would a one loss Bama or one loss Clemson ]

I agree, Judge.

The time for freebies is now over.

Since the CFP Era began, the CCGs have all been elimination (but not necessarily play-in) games. NO ONE has gotten into the playoff after losing their CCG. NO ONE.

No one has ever been invited with 2+ losses, either. But that "rule" should only be broken when we don't have enough qualified (CCs) teams with 1- losses.

People are always looking to make exceptions so they can be subjective instead of objective. (That means they want to force their opinions on the situation.)

Last year there were only 3 qualifying teams, do Bama got in as the most deserving 4th. To hear some tell it, they were actually the most deserving, but they had simply failed to prove it in the Iron Bowl, so all of the guidelines should be thrown out so we can perpetually make Bama a participant in the CFP regardless of their regular season or CCG result. After all, if the outcome justifies the process, the only team you can count on not to 'Clemson' is Bama.

Why do we even have a championship if you're going to invite Bama regardless of their qualifications? Just crown them king like we did before we had a CFP and stop lying about 'proving it on the field.'

Re: Time for playoff committee to have rules not guidelines

Nov 27, 2018, 9:23 PM

Last year if you kept Bama out then the other option was a 2 loss Ohio State

Nov 27, 2018, 9:26 PM

That Ohio State team had been blown out twice. I’d also say that schedules matter. If all that matters is your overall record and winning your conference then why bother with a difficult OOC schedule?

Re: was it really just Bama and OSU?

Nov 27, 2018, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Time for playoff committee to have rules not guidelines ]

No, according to some of you guys, WIS should have been considered because their only loss came in their CCG.

That's what some of you are saying when you say that Bama or Clemson should be considered even if we lose this Sat.

Nov 27, 2018, 9:28 PM

So you are saying if T.L. and Brice get the Flu and we lose to Pit, we should be out because we are not conference champion?

Nov 27, 2018, 9:50 PM

This argument defeats itself. If Pitt wins, do they deserve to be in? If northwestern wins, do they deserve to be in?
Utah?
Washington?
Texas?
I like the idea of champions, but the better team doesn’t always win

Bama should have been in and

Nov 27, 2018, 9:54 PM

proved it greatly. Nuff said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

Nov 27, 2018, 9:57 PM

Re: I disagree

Nov 27, 2018, 10:19 PM

Auburn would.

Hindsight is only 20/20 because it eliminates hypotheticals. But outcomes don't prove a correct, fair or even satisfactory process.

So long as the 4 teams included in the CFP are selected, not qualified, there will be questions about the selection process.

Yes but the selection process has been validated by results

Nov 27, 2018, 10:30 PM

Conference champs only. Win your conference or shut it.

Nov 27, 2018, 10:52 PM [ in reply to I disagree ]

It's not best two out of three. Alabama did not even win their division last year, much less the conference championship. So were they national champs? Auburn would argue not.

Should their be 8 teams from SEC in top 25 right now? Who knows! But if your conference's best plays in the final 4 against the best from 3 other conferences, you find out who's best in a LOSE-AND-YOU-ARE-OUT tournament. If the SEC wins, then maybe 8 was correct.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK so if Pitt somehow gets lucky like they did 2 years ago

Nov 27, 2018, 11:09 PM

Re: OK so if Pitt somehow gets lucky like they did 2 years ago

Nov 27, 2018, 11:34 PM

The case can be made--subjectively--that Auburn lost the Peach Bowl because of their extra game vs GA. While Bama's defense got a chance to get healthy by not playing for 5 weeks, Auburn's only had 3 weeks to recover from back-to-back extremely physical elimination games.

UCF is not a team to face when unprepared.

Certainly we have seen teams before win a national championship while not winning their state or conference championship, but have we ever had a NC who had failed to win both? Bama was effectively 3rd in their conference last year.

Yet some of you say they were obviously the best team in the nation.

So you can make all those subjective assumptions about

Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 PM

Re: So you can make all those subjective assumptions about

Nov 27, 2018, 11:58 PM

What i think happened in the Peach Bowl is irrelevant. But those who use the outcomes of the NCGs to say "the committee got it right" are being absurd, especially when they try to make that equally irrelevant opinion the foundation of their case, that rules are too limiting to the selection process.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:01 PM

If I was Georgia and Bama, I would make a deal and just both play not to get hurt, and win by 3 in over time..... They both in!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic