Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Coach Venables and the silly season...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,955

Thoughts on Coach Venables and the silly season...

Nov 28, 2017, 12:32 AM

Here are a couple of my thoughts on the whole Venables coaching discussion:

1. Brent Venables came to Clemson in 2012. That would have Jake Venables being 12 or 13 years old at the time the Venables family moved to Clemson. Jake Venables has been eating, breathing, and living everything Clemson since he transitioned from a child to a young adult. Jake Venables is a hard Clemson commit, is actively recruiting others to come here, and I truly believe Clemson is his dream school. I bring this up because regardless of what happens with Brent Venables, Jake Venables has been and will remain a Clemson Tiger.

2. Brent Venables is already a millionaire. He makes at least $1.3 Million a year and is in no way, shape, or form hurting monetarily. He can thank Clemson for his new "1%" status as he was making very little at Oklahoma for the work he was doing. Clemson has done right by Brent Venables and pays him handsomely for the results he produces and I am fairly certain he appreciates the situation he is in at Clemson. Any SEC head coaching search is likely to throw $3 to $4 million at a first time head coach - essentially little more than double what Brent makes at Clemson as a Defensive Coordinator but with that doubling of salary also comes twice the responsibility/headaches.

3. Question for you fathers out there: If you were already a wealthy person (a millionaire) and happy with your current job, would more money and the added prestige of a head coaching title convince you to give up the chance to spend 4 years coaching, mentoring, and spending quality time every day with your son? To me there are some things money cannot buy - a chance to share your knowledge and mentor your son everyday through his most formative years, in a sport you both love, with the opportunity to share in a once in a lifetime memory of accomplishing something special together as part of your daily job is one of them.

4. Why would anyone in Venables situation want to take a job in the SEC West, particularly at Arkansas or Miss State where you practically have no chance to compete for a championship so long as Saban remains at Bama and will continue to run over everyone in that Division. When was the last time that Arkansas or Miss State were "relevant"? More importantly - how would they become relevant in the current SEC West environment?

5. At the end of the day, Brent Venables may interview with these schools for the experience, but I seriously doubt he will take a job at either of these schools if he is offered. In fact, I would be downright shocked if he did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on Coach Venables and the silly season...

Nov 28, 2017, 12:39 AM

I tend to agree. It seems unusual that a really motivated and successful coach to also be content. But I think that's exactly BV.

Listen starting about 16:15.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5489033-brent-venables?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 12:42 AM

13:15 not 16:15.

It would be nice for BV to just come out and say no thanks!

Nov 28, 2017, 12:41 AM

Like Cutcliff did. By postponing all it does is run the very small "potential" of giving our defensive recruits hesitation about committing or honoring their commit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would be nice for BV to just come out and say no thanks!

Nov 28, 2017, 12:51 AM

Look these guys build relationships with the recruits beyond recruits getting info from ESPN or Tigernet. They know.

BV is content. He's got 2 boys that he gets the chance to coach and 2 girls that he is intent on leading too. Go listen to the audio. He knows what he wants and understands that he has it and doesn't have to be a HC to have it.

are the fringe benefits given to assistant coaches

Nov 28, 2017, 12:41 AM

like the paid for premium life insurance policies, multiple free cars with the university paying the upkeep. dozens of box seats.. things like that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 12:42 AM

#6 Drop the mic and exit stage left!

Nov 28, 2017, 1:18 AM

You lay out some good points. I hope and think he will stay because of Jake and for various other reasons. It has been mentioned that he may hold out for K state. If so, that will still be a little while as things look now. I hope he will stay and Clemson will accommodate any thing he may need, he's worth it.

I'm a gypsy and hate to spend more than two or three years..

Nov 28, 2017, 1:43 AM

at the same job. I'v found every job I ever had boring within two years. If it was a Supt job on construction I'd finish the job but looked for new challenges in the last few weeks.

I'd move for the challenge if in Venable situation but not until after the NCgame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Venables has had 3 jobs in 24 years

Nov 28, 2017, 5:57 AM

he is the opposite of you

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 5:16 AM

It won't be about the money ... it is about the career goal. Think about it this way from a business perspective.

You get a MBA from Harvard. You work tirelessly for 20+ years for a multi national conglomerate and become Chief Operating Officer of a $100B company. You are financially secure, and your children are off to college. So what's next?

At some point you want the title. You want to be CEO. You didn't work all these years to be COO or VP. But largely, you have attempted to make your family life as stable as possible in a very chaotic profession. But those issues are gone. So what's next?

It isn't about money. It's about continually challenging yourself and pushing yourself.

That being said, i don't think BV will go to MSU or Ark. I think BV will head back to the midwest somewhere eventually. But you just never know.

Nov 28, 2017, 5:58 AM

I agree with your points. He obviously loves coaching defense. Being a HC is a totally different animal. In my current role I get to do what I love. If I were to leave to lead the whole thing somewhere else I would spend most of my time doing things I don’t enjoy. It’s the same thing.

I actually think there is a better chance that he one day becomes a DC in the NFL. Of course if he goes to Arkansas he would be able to do that in four years :)

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,955
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic