Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There is one very concerning stat that worries me if I'm OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

There is one very concerning stat that worries me if I'm OSU

Oct 25, 2020, 2:33 PM

That stat is this: the number of times Justin Fields rushed in his first game: 15 times, for 54 yards.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401247293

Yes, Fields was extremely sharp, picking up where he left off against Clemson and only missing one throw. (He was 20 of 21 for 276 yards and 2 TD's throwing, and added another one with his feet.)

But OSU seemed compelled to lean on him too heavily in the run game. Mind, they're playing an extremely truncated schedule - they're playing just eight games in 2020 - but those games come in eight straight weeks, followed by a likely B1G Championship Game on 12/19. That means nine straight games with no bye week (unless COVID cancellations happen, which could also take them out of the playoffs)...so while OSU gets fewer games and thus less abuse, they also pile that wear and tear into a much shorter time frame, with no chances for their players to heal up.

Fields was gimped up noticeably against Clemson last year. He was also the second-leading rusher on the team but they were able to restrict his workload to just 123 carries for 471 yards prior to our meetup in the playoffs...he was a not-insignificant part of their run game, but they were also only rushing him less than 10 times a game. But JK Dobbins more than shouldered that load - he rushed for 2,003 yards on the year on 301 carries, which was a heavy workload that ranked the fifth-highest in the country and only 27 carries behind the leader, Chuba Hubbard.

At that rate, he'll exceed his 2019 carries by the B1G Championship Game...and he'll do it over the course of about seven weeks less weeks with no bye weeks.

Running QB's tend to wear down over the course of a season - think back to how much emphasis Clemson placed on limiting Deshaun's carries until the playoffs after 2015, and we lost him after four games in the 2014 season. Lamar Jackson, for instance, tailed off dramatically in 2016 the year he won the Heisman; the wheels absolutely fell off after November 17th when Louisville (who had lost only to Clemson up to that point in arguably the best game we've ever seen in Death Valley) went from 9-1 to finishing the season with three straight losses...against Houston, Kentucky, and a so-so LSU team. Jackson just wasn't nearly the same player down the stretch; before November he was arguably the most unstoppable player in college football.

You would think OSU almost has to find a running game and limit Fields' carries, or he's going to be a shell of himself by the end of December. Yes, they're playing fewer games...but starting late may hurt OSU a lot worse. It'll be interesting to see.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is one very concerning stat that worries me if I'm OSU

Oct 25, 2020, 3:53 PM

Lol. Were you concerned when DW4 ran 15 times nearly every game? Did I miss this post back then?

Oct 25, 2020, 4:06 PM

Reading is fundamental as is some basic knowledge. Did you read what Quozzel wrote?

Watson averaged less than 15 carries a game over his career and his seasons were 17 to 18 weeks long.
Watson averaged 10 carries per game his final year at Clemson.
Watson suffered two ACL injuries in his career and he beat SC hobbling on an unrepaired ACL.

OSU needs to run Fields less this year due to the compact nature of the B1G season if they hope to have him available for the end of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 5:20 PM

And Fields averaged 9.8 carries a game last year.

There were plenty of games where DW4 ran more than 15 times in a game, but that doesn’t mean that was our whole offense and we needed to be worried about it. That was our offense and that’s OSUs offense. Running the qb is very effective. I guarantee you Fields carries will average out this year to around 10 a game, just like DW4.

Watson tore his ACL twice with non contact injuries. That was just plain bad luck. Any qb can do that moving around in the pocket.

And when did we ever play 17 or 18 games? I must have missed a few.

Oct 25, 2020, 7:06 PM

About the 17 week long seasons......Sept 9, 2016--January 9, 2019 was 17 weeks. The point quozzel made was that Fields season is going to be compressed into a much shorter time frame and so he'll have less time to recover.

You can check the '14 and 15' seasons if you're interested.

I still find it amazing how many people think Ohio State was better than Clemson last year. Perhaps many quit watching after the first quarter.

And about the physicality issue....Day did a bad job coaching his team for last year's game. For some crazy reason he seemed to strongly believe that if his team hit Clemson in the mouth hard, the Tigers would quit and OSU would prevail. So he preached and coached physicality, physicality, physicality ahead of time. His team listened, one guy lowered his head and targeted Trevor, another roughed Spiers on a punt and gave us life on a possession that should have been over. That physicality cost OSU 8 penalties.

But, like everyone else who has watched a lot of Dabo coached games, I really like it that Day and his team keep talking about how they should have won as if we stole something we did not earn. I wish they'd mention taking out a running back, laptops, or how weak our schedule is.

Feilds seems like a very good QB and a nice guy. But in my visual he has both hands on his helmet wishing he had not thrown the same pass toward Nolan Turner twice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 4:12 PM

No doubt concerning. My interpretation is that Mr Insecurity, Ryan Day, is doing everything he can to win something of significance...Either a Heisman or a NC. And I would have to imagine, he’s constantly got Clemson in the back of his mind in all this.

Oct 25, 2020, 9:07 PM

Mr Insecurity, lol!

Ryan’s an entitled crybaby, cheap scotch swilling nome. The only thing about Ryan that scares is his trip to the bathroom after a night of scotch, borrowed cigars and overeating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yoooooo dooood

Oct 25, 2020, 4:19 PM

I'm a fan of a sucky football program, but that was the most overly dramatic post I've read on a message board since the early 2000's when everyone was trying to be the next internet superstar.

Ohio State would obviously crush my boys and they are wasay more legit than that one game analysis. Fields is fine. Ohio State is loaded for bear again. They most certainly be in the playoffs, and if you're thinking Fields will be worn out from running by then you will be sadly mistaken. OSU will develop a lead back and Fields will do what Fields does. He is super accurate and maybe even more accurate than Lawrence. Fields doesn't seem to have days like Lawrence did yesterday and if Lawrence brings his "LSU" game against OSU in the playoffs it could be a long night.

My second favorite team is Clemson and I gotta say Ohio State reallly took the physical game to Clemson to start that game last year. If it weren't for some big, big plays Clemson may have lost that game. Ohio State had the more physical well-tuned offense and was physically overwhelming Clemson before the big plays.

If Clemson wants to beat Ohio State again, they better be better physically prepared. Travis Etienne is great but his OL isn't working hard enough for him. They are relying on Travis' ability to bail them out of weak physicality at the point of attack, and if Travis goes down Clemson is in a world of hurt.

Clemson runs Trevor too. Will he be as banged up as Fields when the playoffs come around? Maybe.

I want Clemson to win it all, but you guys have got to get more physical on the oline. Clemson hasn't manhandled anyone in a while on the LOS. They rely too much on Travis to create rushing yards. By the playoffs Clemson will need to be tougher on the oline LOS or someone will put Trevor in that "LSU" mode again where he was missing guys and like he did to a certain extent yesterday. If Clemson can get more physical on the oline they will run through the national championship. If they try to rely on Travis' skills or Trevor's arm too much, someone could do what LSU did.

Fields will be fine. I just hope Clemson can ratchet it up on the physicality or it could present some issues come playoff time. OSU, Alabama, and Georgia all seem a little more physical than Clemson, and you guys need to fix that. If you do, then bring on another natty!

Go Clemson!.. and go 'Cuse!.. when does basketball start? ??

Re: Yoooooo dooood

Oct 25, 2020, 4:24 PM

We actually are predicted to be better than ‘Cuse this year in hoops. Don’t you remember Aamir Simms last season. 3 other starters are back also, plus three 4 star front court players. Look out Orange, again...

Oct 25, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Yoooooo dooood ]

“ Fields doesn't seem to have days like Lawrence did yesterday...”

Really? Maybe you should watch last years game with OSU and how Fields ended it...

Oct 25, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Yoooooo dooood ]

Wow. A Syracuse fan who has been here less than a week decides to come on here and tell us Clemson fans on our own board not just about football but also about how we post. Way to represent, my man.

Since it's literally been since Donovan McNabb's time since you guys got near a postseason game not called the Camping World or Pinstripe Powl, much less the actual playoffs, let us tell you what those of us who have been there a bunch know: the difference between playoff teams is often very small. Alabama beat us in 2017, for instance, in no small part because they didn't have to play a conference championship game - they weren't the SEC West champs that year, much less the SEC champs - and got an extra week after the end of the season to heal up. They got two starting linebackers back and it made all the difference against Clemson because the Tide couldn't stop the run to save their own lives to close out the regular season. It mattered in 2015 too: the Clemson team that got to the National Championship game and lost to Alabama the first time they beat us - by 7 points - was very beat up. In 2016 the coaches placed an enormous emphasis in 2016 on rotating as many guys as possible...Hunter Renfrow caught that pass with a second remaining, and Clemson won. The differences were that tight. In 2018 Alabama had more NFL talent than us per the draft but we boat-raced them; they didn't have any depth and it showed. And you might have noticed Ohio State started on fire last year but faded as the game went along...and hey, there's Trevor Lawrence outrunning the entire OSU defense to close out the second quarter. We rushed him less than 7 times a game...and only around 5 times a game in the regular season. Lawrence still had gas in his tank come the playoffs; Fields didn't.

As anybody who has ever actually played the game and woken up the next morning knows, those hits pile up and matter, and attrition is a big part of the postseason calculus. So it's concerning to me OSU likely gets in with likely 4 fewer games, but they may pay for it by back-loading like they are too.

Doooood

Oct 25, 2020, 6:27 PM

I truly don't understand the saltiness my friend. All I said was your post about Fields was long and a bit off, because Fields and OSU will be just fine. Fields shouldn't remotely be on Clemson's radar right now, and at the same time I think Clemson needs to worry about becoming more physical if you want to win the national championship. Agree?

I hope you do win it becausse Clemson is my 2nd favorite school .. my wife went there. That's all buddy. Please don't slam me with another wall of text ??

Re: Doooood

Oct 25, 2020, 9:10 PM

I won't...because you're a troll. I shouldn't have responded to you the first time because - sad to say - I didn't make you initially. But you guys are a dime a dozen...and you'll do what all trolls do, which is escalate until you're banned.

Enjoy your stay here. I suspect it won't be a long one.

Re: Doooood

Oct 26, 2020, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Doooood ]

Nobody ever said that all Clemson ladies was the smartest!!!

Oct 25, 2020, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Yoooooo dooood ]

Bravo well take not bias at all like that mr morbid weirdo and very informative you’re like me and just enjoy good football yes we have our teams but we want a good competitive games!

Oct 25, 2020, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Yoooooo dooood ]

Cusetiger, I’m not sure you watch enough Clemson football to make the assessments made in your post. The Oline will be fine. Clemson always tunes down the stretch while giving our young guys reps throughout the beginning and middle of the season. We played quarter speed and beat Cuse by four touchdowns which I told you we would at halftime yesterday.

Please don’t compare Justin and Trevor. Their body of work doesn’t compare. Justin played one season. One and blew the game at the end of the season to.....Clemson.

Be a better guest to. Quoz posts good content and does so often just as he did here. He writes like a pro and many of us enjoy it. If you don’t, take your opinion back to hell where you came from along with that whipping your team just took. Na wut I’m sayin?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wazzup with the rudeness friend?

Oct 25, 2020, 6:36 PM

Look man I want Clemson to win the natty but I think you guys will need to be more physical if you want to win it all. Ok???

I don't understand why you have to come at me with the "where you came from" stuff but okay.

Go Cuse and Clemson!

Re: Wazzup with the rudeness friend?

Oct 25, 2020, 6:45 PM

If you think I’m “coming at you,” take a breath.

Like I said, be a better guest unless I missed the part the OP asked for opinions on his writing style.

Don’t worry about Clemson though. Clemson will cover that.

Enjoy the show down the stretch. I bet the bucks won’t.

Re: Wazzup with the rudeness friend?

Oct 25, 2020, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Wazzup with the rudeness friend? ]

A Syracuse fan coming on here trying to educate us on football with a snarky, yankee attitude, then you wonder why you get “rudeness”?

Oct 26, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Yoooooo dooood ]

Internet idiots come along quite often, and you make it easy to prove that point!!! Orangeman, stupid man!!!

Oct 25, 2020, 5:10 PM

Ryan day will make adjustment, Nebraska has a very good line this year. I look to see adjustments in penn game and OSU starting steel chambers over sermon and Teague.

Oct 25, 2020, 6:37 PM

Nebraska is not good at all bucknut.

Oct 25, 2020, 7:19 PM

That that is funny and I don't care who you are-
Nebraska has a line- what a punch line.

Oct 25, 2020, 5:40 PM

Great analysis on a fresh perspective. Wish there were more posters like you.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same. And he’s right. Did you guys see any

Oct 25, 2020, 7:09 PM

holes for which ETN or Mellusi could run through? The thing that makes ETN so special is his ability to break tackles (in the backfield oftentimes) and pick up gains seemingly where other RBs would just go down for little to no gain. Do you guys think that’s a good thing??

Also seen this season particularly when ETN and TL would end up running to the same spot on zone reads.... ummmm I don’t think that’s the way those plays are designed. And why do you think that is? Has ETN had a 100 yard game rushing this year (no, citadel does not count)?

Oline is soft. Face it. It usually always is. This is not a new development.

Oct 25, 2020, 6:32 PM

Day is trying to win him the Heisman. Don’t care what lip service he gives but that’s his goal. They wanna keeps Fields on the field and rack up stats like Lamar Jackson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quozzel commentary all day over ill informed visitors and newbies. For the latter, better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Re: building off of Q's thoughts on Fields...

Oct 26, 2020, 10:52 AM

I didn't see the Ohio St game, but apparently neither did the ESPN writer who touted Fields as now leading "the Heisman race."

Because, going strictly by statistics, the WI QB--Mertz?--had a similar day to Fields, so he at least deserves a mention.

So far as readiness for the CFB is concerned, I agree with you, Q, though it is only one game. Justin Fields is a better version of Kelly Bryant. When you go 21-of-22, your receivers are basically running free and/or you're getting the matchups you want. Fields puts a lot of air under his ball, which we took advantage of during the CFP with 2 picks which I predicted; if he is going 21-22, it's because a lot of DBs are not in position to contest throws.

But like Kelly Bryant, it looks like if the throw or matchup isn't available, he isn't throwing it away or going through progressions--he's tucking and running. For a great runner like Fields to only have 54 yards on 15 carries, that means he held the ball too long a couple times, ran well a few times, and tried to make something happen with his legs to minimal benefit a few times.

In other words, he never threw the ball away. I remember playing a great QB a few years ago with the same tendency...a guy names Tua. How many picks did he throw against us?

As you said, it all adds up to unnecessary pounding in a season with no Off dates, and ends up throwing picks to good defenses.

One game is not a trend, but it is a precedent. Something to watch as the season progresses.

Re: building off of Q's thoughts on Fields...

Oct 26, 2020, 4:16 PM

You're 100% correct Rw43, and you could have went farther by saying that it was all they could do to hold that talk in check waiting for OSU to play a game!!! That is why I say and believe that the Heisman trophy is no more than an award gave to the media favorite player, and it no longer stands for anything other than a media favorite. It's a junk trophy that players should take home and put with the other junk/trash they have collected since they began playing FB!!!! If I was a close relative of John Heisman, I would be demanding that they remove his name from the trash they have made the Heisman Trophy out to be!!!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic