Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The reason I started following the coaching carousel....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,802

The reason I started following the coaching carousel....

Dec 22, 2020, 7:54 AM

.... (started following it back in the mid-90s or so) was because every year there were rumors that FSU was gonna lose an assistant coach (Mickey Andrews, Mark Richt, Chuck Amato) to someone.

In the early days of the net (before message boards were so prevalent) I would click around to newspaper and TV reports. I would find information from folks who followed flight trackers. It was a much different process back then than today.

But, today I follow it for another reason. (Maybe I get some guilty pleasure out of it.) Fans are basically the same everywhere. One thing they all have in commons, besides a love for their school, is the amazingly ability to overreact.

Auburn is a great example. I love reading their message boards. One, it is the easiest way to keep up with all the latest rumors. But, another reason is, I just enjoy the overreactions. Here is a summary of what you can find if you read any of their message boards.

The sky is falling. We are turning into Vanderbilt.
Relax, we're gonna hire Urban Meyer.
We get turned down by a Sun Belt coach. We'll probably hire some HS coach.
Don't give up on Mario Cristobal. Trust me. He's coming.
Hugh Freeze would kill Alabama. Hire him.
Hugh Freeze would give us the death penalty in 3 years.
Steve Sarkesian knows how Saban thinks. He would destroy Saban.
If we hire Sark, he'll leave us for Bama as soon as Saban retires.
We're waiting till the NFL season is over. We have our coach.
Our BOT is so screwed up they haven't got a clue. We're doomed.

And, my favorite one: There are several posters saying, "We should just hire Gus back. He beat Bama 3 times."

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The reason I started following the coaching carousel....

Dec 22, 2020, 7:57 AM

..... because you’re a fan of FSU?

jk

(okay, now that I’ve gone back and actually read your post - the fact you love fans overreactions explains why you’re on tnet, eh? Now that makes sense)

Message was edited by: Uncle Bill®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 22, 2020, 8:13 AM

The carousel was the reason I started posting on this site.

Way back when Clemson was looking for a coach (ended up hiring Tommy Bowden) I found this board. Y'all were very gracious to me back then, and have been ever since.

I recall spending one evening (2 or 3 hours) in a chat room with Clemson fans. There was some talk that Clemson was gonna hire Danny Ford back. It was a highly controversial topic in the chat room. At that time the general consensus was Tommy Bowden (fresh off an undefeated season with Tulane) had been offered the job and was making up his mind whether or not to take it. Most folks were hoping he would take it. One guy in chat even said, "bret, call his daddy and put in a good word for us." Others in the room did not want to hire Tommy, but wanted to hire Danny Ford.

The point is I don't want to rehash the Tommy Bowden hire. Just point out that fans are very passionate and emotional about hiring coaches at their school, as they should be.

Me? Yep. I get passionate as well. But, my ability to make accurate predictions of success aren't too good. I thought Willie Taggart was a great hire for FSU. I thought Tom Herman was a great hire for Texas. Occassionally, I'm right. I didn't think Mark Richt would ever fit in at Miami. I thought Jeremy Pruitt would be a train wreck for Tennessee.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember that...

Dec 22, 2020, 8:26 AM

I may have even been on that chat.

Danny Ford was never going to be rehired as Clemson's coach. Way too many bridges burned.

I never thought Willie Taggart was a good hire for FSU.

I did think Tom Herman would turn out to be a great hire for Texas.

I also thought Mark Richt would do really good things at Miami.

I definitely agreed with you about Jeremy Pruitt. I never thought he'd do much at Tennessee. They're similar to uof6c. Their culture is a total mess and until they clean that-up, they're going to continue to flounder in abject mediocrity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

But, but...Tennessee has Fat Phil, the coach who led them to

Dec 22, 2020, 8:31 AM

their greatest heights, back as AD! Shirley that is a recipe for success, just look what it has done for South Carolina! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 8:14 AM

if you must be at last this tall to rid how do Jimbo and Nick plus even old Lou ever get on it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL ‘74. . . but I dunno. Let’s ask Napoleon...***

Dec 22, 2020, 8:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,802
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic