Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The State of Affairs at South Carolina is truly, amazingly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

The State of Affairs at South Carolina is truly, amazingly

Jan 8, 2021, 9:20 AM

bad right now in football. We joke about it as Clemson fans, but it really is something to panic about if you support that institution. Since they are in the best conference in college football year in and year out (Yes, I said it), and they are not Vanderbilt or Kentucky, I never really thought they would sink to current levels. They have already gone through not one, but TWO Hall of Fame coaches, and even those could not get anything good permanently established that outlived their tenure.

When you couple the current sad state of the program with the lack of revenue due to Covid, and paying hefty buyouts of Muschamp and assistants, the previously unthinkable spectre of a major college folding its football program is no longer impossible to imagine.

That being said, I think they will continue in some fashion. The SEC could even step in to prop them up somehow. But it would take some truly seismic shift to get them even mildly competitive on the field for the next several years. The fact that Beamer is having guys poached off his new staff before the ink is even dry on their contracts tells you that. Instead of a screaming chicken, their new mascot should be Eeyore, because they certainly do seem dooooomed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a $#!7 show I have thoroughly enjoyed watching***

Jan 8, 2021, 9:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Remind me...

Jan 8, 2021, 9:32 AM

to send a sympathy card.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The State of Affairs at South Carolina is truly, amazingly

Jan 8, 2021, 9:42 AM

A poster on on fgf actually suggested that they scrap the idea of Beamer at HC and move him to OC since he's already under contract. Then hire Chadwell as HC. As if Beamer would just say yeah sure.

Being a Clemson fan, i've been casually keeping up with USuC football for 30+ years. It's been a long time since i've seen it this bad. Akin to late Brad Scott years and year 1 under hotlz. I can't see them fielding a competitive team for a while.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 10:41 AM

As if Chadwell would say “sure no problem”. He’s a COY kinda guy with arguably one of the best coaching staffs in CFB, based on performance He could have brought his whole staff, a top 10 QB and a bunch of other good players with him. But no, SCar had to go with Muschamp-lite.

Rewind, see you in 5 years for another doofus coaching hire.

I would like to have a conversation with everyone who

Jan 8, 2021, 9:42 AM

put a “high five, Clemson” sticker on their car back in 2013 right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I would like to have a conversation with everyone who

Jan 8, 2021, 9:44 AM

thought that the Woo Hoo was a good idea

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 9:47 AM

I’m sad that they couldn’t get their hopes up under Bobo and a 5-star savior QB just to get crushed by that ol’ school from the upstate every year. Oh well, I’m sure they have more saviors on the way. Beamer’s probably losing assistants because he’s spending all his time trying to lobby to cancel the Clemson game next year.

Go Tigers!

The joke is on them right now...a few comments...

Jan 8, 2021, 10:07 AM

- its still a pretty good job bc its in the south and they have great fan support. Plus they play in the SEC East and the pecking order is pretty wide open outside the top 1-2. Even then, you dont look at UF or UGA and say, 'my gosh I dont want to play those guys'.

- they will always be better than Vandy but are not as good as Kentucky right now.

- with good coaching they can get to 6 wins and a bowl but it'll take 4-5 years for them to build a really good team. Holtz proved you can win at South Carolina pretty quickly and Spurrier proved you can get them in the conversation and have a shot at a title, but in the case of both..it was the end of their careers and Spurrier was happy with the 11 win seasons and rode off into the sunset.

- what will be interesting to see is if Beamer can make enought headway in his first two year and 'win the hearts' of the fanbase so to speak that they buy into his vision. Muschamp stunk before he came to Columbia and never really jived with anyone. Beamer at least seems like a good guy....but not sure that'll equal top 10 finishes.

Jan 8, 2021, 10:16 AM

The Democrats could mandate that conferences prop up lesser teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I think the capons already have sec prop. Otherwise how

Jan 8, 2021, 10:38 AM

would they get the coach they want. Oh, wait............

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the capons already have sec prop. Otherwise how

Jan 8, 2021, 11:12 AM

It's just Vandy. Kentucky stomped a mud hole in them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My best friend is a coot graduate ......

Jan 8, 2021, 11:25 AM

He has not been happy! I used to bust his balls all the time, but the last few years I just haven’t had the heart.

I remember when word got out that South Carolina had hired Lou Holtz. I saw old ladies jumping up and down like little children on Christmas morning scream we’re going to win a national championship! Swear to God! Old ladies jumping up and down screaming like children because of Lou Holtz.

The same thing happened with Steve Spurrier.

Both times in that moment I told every gamecock fan and graduate that I saw And was friends with you will be lucky if things aren’t worse by the time they leave!

And of course as I predicted both of them left South Carolina in worse shape than they found it! I think the only reason the NCAA didn’t investigate them after Lou Holtz, who has gotten almost everybody except Notre Dame put on probation, is because they feel sorry for South Carolina!

The coots didn't escape probation under Hotlz...

Jan 8, 2021, 11:32 AM

Just like every other school Holtz coached at

In 1999, Holtz resurfaced at the University of South Carolina... When he retired for a second and now final time in 2004, he left with a 33-37 record. The NCAA imposed a three-year probation on the university for committing five major infractions during his time as a coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: both of them left South Carolina in worse shape than

Jan 8, 2021, 3:39 PM [ in reply to My best friend is a coot graduate ...... ]

To be fair, SCar returned the favor and left both of them in worse shape than they arrived.

Here's how we should approach coot fans

Jan 8, 2021, 5:03 PM [ in reply to My best friend is a coot graduate ...... ]

There's something in these hills.

Re: My best friend is a coot graduate ......

Jan 8, 2021, 6:40 PM [ in reply to My best friend is a coot graduate ...... ]

If you will google Lou Holtz NCAA problems Notre Dame you will see he left them on probation for ncaa violations during his tenure.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Things rarely as good or bad as we think

Jan 8, 2021, 11:32 AM

Then again, things at SC are wretched. They might not be Vanderbilt or Kentucky, but that's not good either.

Brands matter, especially in sports. Vanderbilt is known as an elite academic institution, Kentucky in an elite basketball program. When exactly is South Carolina elite in? Absolutely nothing.

UNC,DUKE,WAKE,NC STATE,FSU,GA TECH,LOUISVILLE,MIAMI,PITTSBURG,SYRACUSE,UVA,VA-TECH,CLEMSON,ALABAMA,ARKANSAS,AUBURN,FLA,UGA,KENTUCKY,LSU,OLE MISS,TENN,TEXAS A&M.

Every single school on that list either: A) Consistently Won Football/Men's Basketball games at an elite level over long period(s) of time throughout history. B) Considered an Elite Academic Institution. C) Has won National Championships in Football/Men's Basketball. (D Has accomplished A, B, and C.

South Carolina hasn't, and they're trying to compete with schools that have bigger brands and name recognition.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic