Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Real-Life Diet of Deshaun Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

The Real-Life Diet of Deshaun Watson

Apr 30, 2018, 4:29 PM

After becoming the Houston Texans’ starting quarterback during the second week of the 2017 NFL season, Deshaun Watson took the league by storm, passing for nearly 1,700 yards and 19 touchdowns in only seven appearances. Watson dazzled fans with his scrambling ability, too, and appeared poised to become the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year before tearing his right ACL during practice in early November.

No stranger to devastating setbacks and triumphant comebacks alike—he tore his left ACL in 2014 before leading Clemson to two national championship game appearances and one title—Watson has launched himself into the rehab process this summer. And given the potential he flashed last season, long-suffering Texans fans are quietly (or not so quietly) thinking about the Super Bowl. We caught up with Watson to discuss his recovery, his relationship with fellow Texan J. J. Watt, and his stubborn penchant for sour gummy worms.

GQ: You’ve worked your way back from the same injury in your left knee at Clemson. How did that experience help you to embrace this current rehab regimen?
Deshaun Watson: Going through this before has made it a lot easier to not only understand but also appreciate the process. I already knew what had to be done, so it wasn’t hard for me to grasp what I had to do for treatment and recovery this time, so that I can come back stronger than I was before.

Where or how have you found the motivation for a recovery process that you know can be grueling?
The recovery process can be mentally tough, but for me, it’s pretty easy to stay positive because I always have an end goal in sight—I need to get back on the field and perform. The entire Texans organization and its fans have constantly been sending me good wishes and giving me their support, so the grind has been easy.

What does a typical day look like for you during the rehab process?
I wake up and eat breakfast before going to the facility for a full day of training. Once I get there, I work directly with my trainer to go over the day’s program, which includes both rehab exercises and isolation exercises that continue to strengthen other parts of my body. After workouts, I head home to eat and focus on recovery.

You’ve been rehabbing from a major injury alongside J. J. Watt. How has that affected your own recovery?
J.J. is an inspiration, not just for me but also for the entire team. He’s been in the league for a while, and he has a lot of advice and tips he’s willing to share. It’s been great to bounce my questions off of him, and to get his honest feedback. Even though it was disappointing to get hurt during my rookie season, it’s been great to have someone like him to push me during the process.

In what ways have you had to alter your diet since the injury?
As a rookie, I worked with my agent and the training staff to figure out what diet works for my body naturally. But after I got injured, it was apparent that I needed to follow a more regimented nutrition plan. I now have a strict meal plan that I follow five times a week.

I'm a southern boy raised in Gainesville, Georgia, so it’s natural for me to want fast food and sweet tea, but those are the things I’ve had to cut back on. It’s been hard, but in order to be the best player I can be on the field, I had to limit them or completely cut them out.

What’s your diet philosophy like now?
For me, it’s about convenience, as well as having enough protein to help build and sustain muscle. I have a partnership with Just Crack an Egg, and since I’m usually trying to rush to the training facility in the mornings, I eat one of their breakfast bowls, which usually keep me full until lunch. For lunch, I aim for a lean protein, some starch, and leafy greens, which are full of magnesium. Between lunch and dinner, I try and snack on fruit and granola. For dinner, I try to mimic lunch, but with a protein that is also high in omega fatty acids, which help with my recovery.

Are you still snacking on gummy worms to the extent you were back in Clemson?
Oh, I eat a lot healthier now. In college, we were teenagers, and we really weren’t too concerned with what we ate, as long as we were full and had enough energy to perform. Now, heading into my second season in the NFL, I am definitely more conscious of what I put into my body.

On game days, though? My guilty pleasure is still sour gummy worms. I still have to have them.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/real-life-diet-deshaun-watson-170402379.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Real-Life Diet of Deshaun Watson

Apr 30, 2018, 4:33 PM

:)

Apr 30, 2018, 4:38 PM

I just can't get over how much I love this kid.. He's just so humble & laid back, a great steward for Clemson Football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Though seldom discussed, one of the biggest reasons

Apr 30, 2018, 4:42 PM

for so many injuries today is simply bad "food."

Hope he has some good nutritionists working with him.

Apr 30, 2018, 4:44 PM

He omitted secondaries.... He eats them up

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2018, 4:53 PM

touche

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive