Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Virginia QB announces commitment to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: Virginia QB announces commitment to Clemson

Dec 24, 2020, 1:34 PM

Virginia QB announces commitment to Clemson

Three-star Ashburn, Virginia 2021 quarterback and Billy Wiles committed to Clemson on Thursday. He received a preferred walk-on offer earlier this month from th Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Virginia QB announces commitment to Clemson

Dec 24, 2020, 1:35 PM

Welcome, Billy!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

are there walk ons that aren't preferred***

Dec 24, 2020, 1:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: are there walk ons that aren't preferred***

Dec 24, 2020, 1:40 PM

Yes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 1:45 PM

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process/walk-on-vs-scholarship

Preferred walk-on
Not all offers come with a monetary reward. Sometimes, the reward is simply a spot on the roster. A preferred walk-on offer means the coach would like you on the team but cannot (or won’t) offer any financial assistance at least for the first year. Preferred walk-ons can earn a scholarship going into their second season, but nothing is guaranteed. Some student-athletes will turn down scholarship offers at smaller schools to play for a bigger program as a preferred walk-on.

Do preferred walk-ons sign on signing day?
Technically, preferred walk-ons don’t have anything to sign on Signing Day, as they aren’t receiving an athletic scholarship. However, walk-ons are an essential part of a successful team, and college coaches want to celebrate their signing, as well. Ask your future coach about having something to sign, especially if your school is throwing a Signing day party. Don’t forget to rep your new school with some gear!

Recruited walk-on offer
A recruited walk-on offer means there is interest from the coach but no financial assistance and you must still earn a spot on the team through additional try outs or summer training camp. Although there is no financial assistance or even a guarantee of making the team, some student-athletes still view a recruited walk-on offer as a great opportunity to be play at the highest level of competition.

Unrecruited walk-on offer
Typically, this is when a student-athlete qualifies for admission to the school and plans to join the team through an open tryout. In this scenario, there is usually a conversation with the college coach prior to enrollment to confirm the student-athlete will be able to try out for the team.

There is a lot to consider with any type of walk-on offer. This is especially true if you have scholarship offers from other schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to are there walk ons that aren't preferred*** ]

hphallman said:

hphallman said:

Preferred means you have a spot on the team if you just walk on they can cut you from the team. I think that is how it works.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks for taking the time to explain the difference***

Dec 24, 2020, 1:53 PM

Re: thanks for taking the time to explain the difference***

Dec 24, 2020, 2:15 PM

Preferred's also get to practice with the team in pre-fall (they already have a spot on team roster for Fall Semester), whereas "walk-ons" have to be enrolled and thus, miss all those practices. I also think Preferreds get to eat with the team, but not walk-ons. Hebstreits sons were preferred and his youngest is PWO at Ohio St.

Me, for one

Dec 27, 2020, 8:34 AM [ in reply to are there walk ons that aren't preferred*** ]

I tried to walk-on back in the day and they told me to keep on walking.

;)

Welcome to Clemson young man and Merry Christmas!***

Dec 24, 2020, 3:07 PM

Dec 24, 2020, 3:08 PM

Welcome to the Tiger Family!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2020, 3:22 PM

How far this program has come to take 3 star players as preferred walk ons. Welcome to Tiger Town young man!

Dec 24, 2020, 3:20 PM

Welcome to Clemson, Billy! ????????

Dec 25, 2020, 9:46 AM

I have never understood the allure of turning down scholarships from other Universities to attend a school as a Walk-on with a slim chance of playing. I had the same opportunity years ago to be a walk-on at one school (University of Houston) to play baseball, but I instead accepted a scholarship to Southeastern Louisiana University; anyways welcome to Clemson.

Dec 25, 2020, 12:27 PM

This kid is throwing dimes all over the place. Looks great! Check his tape out.

Dec 26, 2020, 3:37 AM

He looks great.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic