Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #150 'Bulldozer driven into reflection pool'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 51

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #150 'Bulldozer driven into reflection pool'

Aug 29, 2020, 9:15 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #150 'Bulldozer driven into reflection pool'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this time with little or no sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of the pho Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #150 'Bulldozer driven into reflection pool'

Aug 29, 2020, 9:32 AM

So what was the bulldozer in the area for?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe.....................................................

Aug 29, 2020, 9:45 AM

amphitheater restoration????????????????????????????????????????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe.....................................................

Aug 29, 2020, 10:52 AM

Thanks, I'll bet so. Seems like that was about then

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe.....................................................

Aug 29, 2020, 11:32 AM

Reading is fundamental (from the post) ...

"nothing like a bulldozer from the amphitheater restoration ended up there"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #150 'Bulldozer driven into reflection pool'

Aug 29, 2020, 10:21 AM

"the pool, which was also part of the air conditioning systems for Bracket and Hardin Halls."

Intersting. I had always heard the reflection pool was part of the library's air conditioning system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2020, 10:32 AM

I remember a big redhead guy (he may have been our hall monitor!) taking credit for this prank. He laughed about it for weeks. We never did like him even before that stupid stunt.

Aug 29, 2020, 11:22 AM

What year did the bulldozer go for a swim?

It IS part of the library's A/C system.***

Aug 29, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #150 'Bulldozer driven into reflection pool' ]

Aug 29, 2020, 11:23 AM

Still say Sonny Cassady did this.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2020, 2:03 PM

Sonny was first person I thought of also

Folklore has it that

Aug 29, 2020, 11:30 AM

Several years later someone wrote into the Tiger admitting he knew who did it. Then his letter was analyzed by handwriting sleuths who were able to link him to papers he had turned in. Well as the story goes they put the screws to him and threatened to nullify his degree. He gave up the name. Then the long arm of the CU police contacted the perp stating he could either pay for the damages or have a warrant issued. He paid. True story

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2020, 12:35 PM

What year did this happen? Looks like the late 70's.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Aug 30, 2020, 9:52 PM

I think it was late 1978 (November?). Amphitheater construction, and the Dozer was sitting on the hill behind Brackett Hall, facing the pond. Straight downhill to the pool! Chipped the brick at the edge of the pool, and the chipped bricks are probably still there, Also cracked the concrete bottom of the pool. They drained the pool and fixed the bottom.

I think it happened after the bars closed downtown at midnight Saturday night. The drinking age was 18 then, and all kinds of mischief happened after the bars closed on Saturday. One time we climbed up in Tillman and rang the bell a bunch after midnight. Good thing they raised the drinking age to 21.......

Aug 29, 2020, 2:25 PM

I(and other Merry Prankslers) would have a felony today(if caught) for some of the stuff we did in '69-'70...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was October 2 1978... around 11:30pm.

Aug 29, 2020, 2:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: it was October 2 1978... around 11:30pm.

Aug 29, 2020, 2:55 PM

Hmmmmm...
That sounds pretty specific.
Do you know anything about Jimmy Hoffa?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Aug 29, 2020, 3:46 PM

I knew it was either 77 or 78, couldn't remember which. I saw it the next morning. I got the specific info from the ClemsonWiki page for 1978:

"October 2: Vandal starts up Fiat-Allis front-end loader parked near Bracket Hall and drives it into the Reflecting Pond behind the Amphitheatre at 11:37 p.m. Oil contamination forces draining and cleaning of basin used in several buildings air conditioner cooling systems. The guilty party is apprehended by Pickens County authorities in 1982.

https://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/1978

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Aug 29, 2020, 8:02 PM

February: A former student who vandalized the Reflection Pond in 1978 by driving a front-end loader into the pond is arrested in USMC boot camp after foolishly writing a taunting letter to the university. It is the evidence needed to confirm his identity.

Yep ..... I met him a number of years later and he was a Captain in the Marines. Must not have gotten in too much trouble. He also had stolen a police car in Greenville and sent parts of the car back to the police department taunting them from all over the United States. He later got into some much bigger trouble than that.

Aug 30, 2020, 8:18 PM

This is ringing some bells of a long ago memory - didn’t this guy get charged in an attempted murder in North Carolina later that also involved driving heavy equipment? I think I remember reading this in my local WNC paper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Aug 30, 2020, 10:37 PM

Yes he got caught stealing a guy's tractor and when confronted, he shot the guy in the head. The guy did not die, but the thief was charged with attempted murder (I think that was the charge) and spend some time in prison, but not nearly as much as I would have suspected. IU also think they found some grenades and other ordinance that he had stolen from the Marines on his father's farm ...... near Traveler's Rest, I think.

Aug 30, 2020, 8:00 PM [ in reply to it was October 2 1978... around 11:30pm. ]

Yep....sophomore year. Remember walking to class that morning and thinking ...”somebody had a few to many last night”. Tracks did damage to the bottom of the pool also.

Aug 29, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote: "I remember a big redhead guy (he may have been our hall monitor!) taking credit for this prank. He laughed about it for weeks. We never did like him even before that stupid stunt."

Yep ..... you should have believed him. That was him. I know him (slightly, but a lot about him). He later got in some big time trouble in Greenville and North Carolina and spent some time in jail.

Aug 30, 2020, 9:46 PM

Was this Johnstone D section?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2020, 11:28 AM

Was this Johnstone D section?

He was on C-7 Johnstone in 1978

Aug 29, 2020, 3:35 PM

1978 was the year.

I remember when Bill Brasky did this one.***

Aug 29, 2020, 8:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2020, 9:12 PM

You have now sentenced everybody here to watch "Killdozer."

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x73k8kj

In the early 2000s I saw the best review on the web of a movie of all times. "If you only ever see one movie in your life about a killer bulldozer, make it "Killdozer."

It was the best movie about a killer bulldozer I've ever seen, and I've seen them all.

Anybody actually prosecuted...

Aug 30, 2020, 1:44 AM

...and found guilty? If yes, anybody got a link to that info? My search skills have failed me on this one.

Thanks!

Re: Anybody actually prosecuted...

Aug 30, 2020, 12:54 PM

Come to think of it the redhead guy did wear USMC tee shirts quite often. I’m glad he got nailed. Hard to believe a but head like himgot to be a captain!

Re: Anybody actually prosecuted...

Aug 30, 2020, 10:41 PM

He was probably in a PLC (Platoon Leader's Class) program where you went to OCS training during the summer of your sophomore and junior year and are commissioned when you graduate. I'm not sure, but he may have played football for one year.

Aug 30, 2020, 7:09 PM

Is he the one with the blue lights from a police car in his room?

Aug 30, 2020, 7:09 PM

Is he the one with the blue lights from a police car in his room?

Aug 31, 2020, 12:33 PM

I’ve waited for someone to comment on possibility of a similar heavy equipment “accident” in the Reflection Pond in 1967, my Rat year. I think it was about the time of the near riot in town after “Bonnie and Clyde” debuted at Clemson Theatre. I remember rocking police cars and blocking highway along Bowman Field with big steel culvert pipes. Also the library pool had to be drained to repair the damage. Maybe my event was a motor grader and not a bulldozer.

Replies: 33
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic