Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 98
| visibility 1

TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices

Jul 19, 2018, 8:42 PM

Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices

Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell said from his point of view senior quarterback Kelly Bryant outplayed freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence during spring pr Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices

Jul 19, 2018, 8:47 PM

Wow!

Message removed by Author

Jul 19, 2018, 9:01 PM

Message removed by Author

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices

Jul 19, 2018, 9:44 PM

What game ? TL has yet to play in a game

Jul 19, 2018, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

so the spring game was a game huh. lmfao. you guys never cease to amaze.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 11:08 PM

And then he referenced the "passing game" as if that's a real "game" too!!! LOLZ. SMH.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 20, 2018, 7:18 AM

IN THAT "GAME" WE SAW IN THE SPRING WE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SEEN KELLY RUN FOR 250 YARDS HAD DABO NOT HAD THE TOUCH RULE. YOU KNOW THE TOUCH RULE THAT IS USED IN EVERY "GAME". KELLY WAS OFF PASSING NO DOUBT. GUESS HE WAS PRESSING SINCE IT WAS A REAL GAME.

Jul 20, 2018, 11:13 AM

?, was Bama a real game, or was it also practice with a pressing KB. We all have our own opinions and that is OK, but, it isn't OK when folks act as if their opinion is better than anyone else. It maybe a surprise to some but, Dabo don't care a thing about the opinions of the fan base bc he knows and understands that nothing happens until he says it can happen. And it's actually immature in a childish way when one fan will be rude to another fan over a difference of opinions that don't mean Jack Shiot anyway. Dabo Swinney runs the show, and no other opinions count. And when people will show their nasty side over meaningless opinions, it leave me to thinking that it must be their character in everyday life wanting to be in control of what ever is going on around them!!! It's OK to be different, just as it is OK to have a different opinion, and bc we do have different opinions, it doesn't call for rudeness. Most of us here on T-Net pull for the team, and we all want our team to win every game in a blow out. We are fans, and that is what fans want for their team, and in Tiger Nation, we are so lucky that we finally have an Elite FB team that wins most of our games. Just saying holly shiot stop the madness, we are of the same fan base!!!

Jul 20, 2018, 12:15 PM

Well said Sir. Well said. Spot on in every aspect. I hate you deleted your other post but that's your prerogative, just as you've posted above. Afterall, this is supposed to be a message/forum board where as you so eloquently stated are discussions amongst Clemson Fans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2018, 12:55 PM

Well, I think that I'm going to carefully start choosing what I post on bc nobody is allowed to have an opinion but the nasty A$S hats that I actually believe they believe their perfect without ever being wrong. And I'm just not the type of person that will get out of line with someone that has their personal opinion bc we're all entitled to our own opinions just about anywhere in the world with the exception of T-Net, or it seems. My thing is, and has always been, if you have to speak of one of our players, be nice about it without the name calling or disrespect, and the same goes for our fans on here. We all pull for the same Tiger team, and we just don't have to be rude or disrespectful to one another. To me personally, snapping or biting at each other bc we have a different opinion, it just don't make any sense, not to me anyway!!!

Jul 20, 2018, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

Just like the 250 he put up against 'Bama? Don't be a moron. KB won't even be drafted next year. Hand him a clipboard and he'll do just fine watching TL.

Jul 20, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

You must have been amazed, I mean you are admitting to "lymfao", you were at least amused!!! ;)

KB is miles better in the run game***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

How do you know that?

Jul 20, 2018, 9:17 AM

and if he is why not play a runningback at QB, if a running QB is your major offensive threat?

Maybe we should become Georgia Tech?

I'm sure our "frisbee-catching dogs" won't be happy!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The ENTIRE offense is based on the QB run threat

Jul 23, 2018, 10:59 AM

KB was one of the most efficent passers in the nation last year. Calling him an option QB is plain ignorance and stupidity.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

So Cle is one of the “KB boys”

Jul 20, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

Nuke Hopkins of the Houston Texans said the same thing about their starter at the time. It didn't take long for that opinion to be thwarted, though. Who knows what will happen with our QB battle, but I take very little stock in what a friend says about his buddy, although I acknowledge Ferrell may be 100% correct. I just hope that our coaches really do play the very best performer. I don't care if that guy is a walk on freshman or a former senior who has started 3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2018, 11:27 AM

Duga ... did not read your post and expressed similar sentiment on Nuk 2 hrs later ... great minds and all that ... well said

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2018, 9:14 AM

Thanks! Great minds do work alike!

Jul 20, 2018, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

The coaches will play the QB that is the most consistent, makes the best calls, and has the most trust in his teammates. Basically, the best driver of the entire offensive machine. Now does that mean that the QB who has displayed all this is incapable of having a bad game??? No, it does not.

The Bama game was not all on KB. That was a total team loss.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2018, 9:23 AM

You are right in that it was not all on KB. His inadequacies in the passing game, however, set the table for a game plan that put much extra pressure on an OL and pass blocking that got totally exposed. I hope we have a more complete offensive package this year. We will get challenged this year by others who learned how to get to us, and I want us to be more multi-dimensional in our offense. Being a threat to throw effectively opens up the run opportunities and helps the blocking schemes on run plays and pass protection be more successful, as well.

No sh-t. I expect a senior player to be ahead of a guy who just got to campus

Jul 19, 2018, 8:51 PM

And! The KB we saw in the spring game was eerily similar to the KB we saw vs Bama. I don’t care what he looks like in practice if you can’t do it in a game.

the fact that it is even a competition

Jul 19, 2018, 8:53 PM

shows just how little bryant has progressed since last season..with a year under his belt as a starter and what not he should be the clear started.but to hear the coaches talk hes not

Easy now, there was a much better way to present that.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:44 AM [ in reply to No sh-t. I expect a senior player to be ahead of a guy who just got to campus ]

UR 100% correct about TL just having arrived on campus. He was talking about practice and admitted that TL outperformed KB in the game.

I should point out that with that type of improvement in just a few short weeks that any reasonable person would believe that TL will achieve much more by fall camp and be way too far ahead to catch by the first couple of games. He may lack nothing but live action experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Straight to the comments

Jul 19, 2018, 8:56 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO***

Jul 19, 2018, 9:00 PM

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO***

Jul 19, 2018, 9:11 PM

LOL some "fans" really do feel "entitled". Pretty sure I'll trust the players and the coaches over someone losing their crap over who starts at QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 9:17 PM

Good, you'll watch them do it to you again then. Guess you forgot in one year that they said no different about Cooper vs Johnson.... One was "better in practices". Think everyone knows how that went, and which transferred out first.

Then again, we are only talking about the spring, the first few months where Lawrence was learning from freshman mistakes. KB came out in the lead because of it, and no one expected any different. So this is just supporting that leader. Let's see where things are after fall. Things could change.

Jul 20, 2018, 1:39 PM

Hit the nail on the head, its funny how the cheerleaders forget about how awesome Cooper was in practice, and how most thought hunter was better. They try to silence criticism by saying they trust the coaches, which is funny since by seasons end the coaches simply took fans advice :)

Pretty sure they wouldn’t have used the words ‘clearly better’

Jul 19, 2018, 9:09 PM

If they were telling us TL was outplaying KB. Just shows the bias we have for seniority.

We have tons of talent. But I hope we don’t get the idea that allows us to play who we want to play vs who we are better with. We can win either way, but you don’t play less than your best hand. Saban sure won’t.

And before you say it

Jul 19, 2018, 9:11 PM

I am not a coach and don’t know who is better. But I do see a bias.

Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant

Jul 19, 2018, 9:15 PM

Yep, remember hearing the same thing about Cooper vs Johnson until they got in live action...then eventually switched places on the depth chart, permanently....FWIW.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:03 PM

All of the 31 voices in my head agree that Chase will be the starter

Jul 19, 2018, 9:18 PM

I doubt Dabo was aware Clelin was going to be that expressive about the QB competition.
He clearly made a case that the whole team felt the same.
I suppose it's not a big deal but IMO he probably shouldn't have been that explicit .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 9:45 PM

Yes, you remember correctly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2018, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

That was my thots too.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:38 PM

If I remember correctly several Houston Texans players, including Hopkins, said Savage was THEIR QB when Deshawn showed up in Houston last year. How did that turn out? I really don't care who the QB is, I simply want the best player at every position on the field, and I hope ALL the players do the same without any bias toward their team mates, be it a Sr. or a Jr. or a Freshman. They should all want the player that gives the Tigers the best chance to win each game out there. I'm sure the coaches will. Go Tigers!

Jul 19, 2018, 9:38 PM

I really hate he said that. And it’s nothing to do about who should and shouldn’t start. To me, when I hear something like this, I hear dissensions within the lockeroom and that’s the last thing I wanted to hear.

Not sure if it was a player or coach, but I think it was another player on defense that said they were both good and they both made plays etc but said player was just trying to learn their position type thing.

I’ve been working in an office setting for nearly 50 years and even been in management with 50 people under me. I bring that up because I’ve seen managers (team leaders) try to win over and recruit people because they’ve paid their dues, new kid does not deserve it yada yada... I hope and pray we don’t have a situation like that and I hope that’s not the reason we’ve had qb’s leave.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2018, 7:18 AM

Austin Bryant.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

I agree, I'd rather not hear what players think about the QB battle. I would think for the sake of team unity the coaches wouldn't want players views about position battles being public. That being said, we won the ACC & played in the final 4 with KB as QB, I doubt a freshman with no game experience is going to unseat him.

Jul 20, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

Well it looks as if someone believe's that you're not entitled to your harmless opinion, and by them TD-ing your post, it tells me that he/she believe's, their opinion is the only one that matters!!!

Jul 19, 2018, 9:47 PM

I'll just say that I haven't seen that kind of certainty from the coaches. Yes, they say Kelly is the leader but I think Cleland is pumping up his bud. Understandable, but not necessarily an objective reality.

My thoughts: I am very, very focused on winning another National Championship this year. Not being a pumper I see real pain next year when we have the best D-line in the NCAA move on. Yeah, we have done a pretty good job of reloading but when you are talking about a National Championship - being good isn't nearly enough. We have to be really, really special. We have that this year - next year is a question mark for now. So let's not blow this chance.

What I'm getting at is that the focus, for me at least, is being ready for the play-offs and the prep for that starts right away. I feel strongly that TL will be clearly superior to KB if given the game experience. He doesn't have to start on day one, but if he shows out in his playing time in the first three games then I'd like to see him start on game four or five. He needs the experience to take us all the way.

I do not believe that KB will win it all for us. DW4 barely did that. Yeah we won - at the last second. He engineered a spectacular 2 minute drill but let's not behave as if we crushed them.

I'm not against KB - if he clearly shows he is the best, then fine, we are all behind him. What I am saying is that who is the best choice to make a run for the title is an open question and the big issue with TL is playing time. Skills and ability are not the issue (but they are for KB). So give TL the playing time.

I say start KB game 1, 2 and 3 (unless things develop and TL is clearly the choice before then.) But put TL in for the second half in game 1 and 3. Against A&M it is a game-time decision because I expect that to be more of a contest.

Whoever wins the starting job - we are all Tigers and we are all-in.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:35 PM

Wow, that may be the best level headed and honest thing I’ve read on here all summer. I know I’ve tried to say this but clearly couldn’t find the correct words. Kudos to you for expressing exactly how I feel.

I know people love to call other people kb dumpers but I like kb and appreciate all he’s given to clemson but there’s a reason he was third string when DW4 was here. But what you said all the way. IMO kb hit his ceiling last year and there’s nothing wrong with that or anything to be ashamed of. I’d like to see CB get some reps to build for the future.

Glad you’re focused on the natty, need you out there

Jul 20, 2018, 5:16 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

Because it’s clear our team just wants their friends to play. Hope you can pull us through.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 10:48 PM

Didn't Nuk Hopkins say pretty much the exact same thing about Tom Savage vs the GOAT. It's all noise, we'll see come Sept. 1 who the clear winner is...

Y'all remember when Nuke said the other Texans QB was better

Jul 19, 2018, 11:55 PM

than Deshaun? Mull that over for a minute and you'll realize players say what is the politically correct thing to say but it doesn't mean they truly believe it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This hints towards something I was wondering

Jul 20, 2018, 3:21 AM

Even if TL is better, the team might revolt if Kelly is ousted at this point. Whether it's a comfort thing from playing with KB for so long or a racial deal or whatever, Dabo risks losing the team by going with the freshman.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why in the H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS

Jul 20, 2018, 8:09 AM

would you mention race as the reason for Cle's comments.

That is totally unnecessary and really not indicated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I didn't.

Jul 20, 2018, 8:13 AM

I was saying there are a variety of reasons the team might want to see KB start over TL, and that is potentially one of them.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's really not potentially one of them***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:38 AM

Kind of naive to think it's not, TBH.

Jul 20, 2018, 4:08 PM

Racial tensions are about as high as they've been since the end of the OJ trial. Colleges, sadly including Clemson, have taken to promoting social Marxism to students and these ARE college students we're talking about. Minorities of all kinds are constantly told they should feel oppressed and put upon and that white people are angry and looking to keep them down. To think the Clemson football program is somehow immune to the larger social climate is naive.

You sound super racist by thinking that way***

Jul 23, 2018, 10:57 AM

LOL, basically proving my point.

Jul 24, 2018, 7:03 AM

Nothing I said was remotely racist, but because I don't capitulate to the narrative I was discussing, you assume I am one. Perfectly demonstrates what I'm saying about racial tensions.

Oh, I'm so sorry.

Jul 20, 2018, 8:42 AM [ in reply to I didn't. ]

I was sure it was you who wrote in the English language that maybe it's a racial thing. I stand corrected. Apparently.

The definition of awesome!

Yes,

Jul 20, 2018, 3:59 PM

I said that race is a possible motivation for the team to want to see Bryant start over TL. I didn't say anything about Cle's comments being motivated by race, which is what you claimed.

Re: This hints towards something I was wondering

Jul 20, 2018, 11:45 AM [ in reply to This hints towards something I was wondering ]

I really don’t think the team will fall into chaos and have players backing one guy over the other in the locker room if TL takes over as the starter for KB. Cle said KB is our unless the coaches tell us otherwise. I personally don’t see KB himself as a leader letting that happen. I feel KB and the other leaders on this team will look out for what’s best for the Team. Even if that means he wouldn’t be the starter I don’t think KB would allow this team to start fighting among themselves about who the stater is. These guys know it’s notbing personal and yea they are going to boost their friend when speaking to the press and others but will not allow it to break this team apart. I don’t fear this team will draw battle lines and back “their” guy within the locker room if TL takes over as starting QB. Also def don’t think it’s a racial thing, these guys are a family, regardless of race. On the note of the qb battle itself, if KB improves his passing game I don’t mind him starting but I saw the same passing issues in the spring game that I saw last year. I know the touch rule in spring game takes away a huge element of KB’s game but I wanted to see how he would do when forced to sit in the pocket and look for the pass instead of tucking and running too quick and it didn’t look good. It could have just been a off day everyone has them but not good to have your bad day Infront of all the fans. I and the team will back which ever qb comes out and gives us the best chance at winning a National Title. Go Tigers!!!

What does Cle know????

Jul 20, 2018, 4:54 AM

He probably doesn't even Tigernet.

Why would Ferrell say such a thing?

Jul 20, 2018, 6:17 AM

By him using the media day to hint at a possible division on the team serves absolutely nothing. I’ve got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach after reading this drivel. Dabo should have invited Hunter Renfrow to the media kickoff, at least he knows how to answer a question without opening a big ole can of sh!t.

There was no hint whatsoever of a division in what he said

Jul 20, 2018, 6:35 AM

“The whole team is behind him. No question. That’s our guy,” he said.

Re: There was no hint whatsoever of a division in what he said

Jul 20, 2018, 7:26 AM

Okay, don’t be surprised when Trevor Lawrence chooses to transfer because you don’t let a talent like his sit. I guess the moral of the story is just settle for three star athletes and let the five star guys go elsewhere to ensure the “ team is totally behind” whatever three star athlete happens to have seniority no matter what.

lol wut?***

Jul 20, 2018, 7:27 AM

That's the dumbest comment I've read all week***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: There was no hint whatsoever of a division in what he said ]

Yeah, You would definitely know dumb....***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:49 AM

Nm

Jul 20, 2018, 7:07 AM

Come on Tiger fans. This is not like Stoudt and Watson. Nothing against Cole but KB is definitely more talented. KB took us to the playoffs. Give the man some slack. If he is the starter I have no problem with that. Things will play out positively in the end. I trust the coaches not our fans. Coaches only get paid to do this every day. What do they know? LOL!

Jul 20, 2018, 7:28 AM

Goodness gracious I’m so sick of people saying KB took us to the playoffs...if you can’t tell that we won last year in spite of KB rather than because of him than I don’t know what you were watching. Our offense SUCKED last year considering what we had going for us. KB is bad and I do care if he’s the starter cuz it’ll be a heck of lot less fun to watch this season if he is. Dude isn’t a QB. Thumb down away!!

Jul 20, 2018, 7:36 AM

YOU MEAN THE TEAM THAT LOST WATSON, WILLIAMS, SCOTT, LEGGETT AND OTHERS. THE TEAM THAT BEAT THE NUMBER 6 TEAM IN THE NATION 38-3. THE TEAM THAT BEAT 4 TOP 15 TEAMS IN SEPTEMBER. THAT TEAM.

Jul 20, 2018, 8:53 AM

Yeah SHOUTER, That same team got embarrassed by Alabama and exposed our greatest offensive weakness, a QB that can’t throw a decent pass under pressure.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:12 AM

MAYBE YOU SHOULD BLAME THE OLINE AND SOME RECEIVERS THAT DROPPED SOME PASSES. FACT IS I DONT THINK ANYONE WOULD HAVE BEATEN BAMA "THAT" NIGHT. THEY WERE DIALED IN AND WE DID NOT PLAY OUR BEST. ANOTHER FACT. I WANT THE GUY THAT WINS THE JOB TO BE OUR QB. NO ONE IS A BIGGER FAN OF TREVOR THAN ME. I JUST THINK THE BASHING OF A GREAT GUY AND PLAYER IS SOMETHING THAT USED TO BE LEFT UP TO THE COOTS. BUT IN TODAYS WORLD ANY MOUTHBREATHER CAN SAY WHAT POPS INTO THEIR PEA BRAIN.

He looked pretty good to me against Louisville, Miami

Jul 20, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

and Va Tech. People tend to forget those games.

Relax. Sr backing Sr. He practices well. TL a gamer.***

Jul 20, 2018, 7:12 AM

Re: Relax. Sr backing Sr. He practices well. TL a gamer.***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:38 AM

SO TREVOR HAS NEVER PLAYED A DOWN OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL BUT HE IS A GAMER HUH. GOT IT.

Re: Relax. Sr backing Sr. He practices well. TL a gamer.***

Jul 20, 2018, 10:53 AM

Simply basing it off of his spring game performance. Bryant played like a freshman and TL played great. Shrugs.

Jul 20, 2018, 8:26 AM

You don't just anoint someone a starter because of talent. KB has been in the system for 4 years and led us to a playoff berth and a 12-2 season.

It's a process. TL has only been a part of 15 practices. There has not been nearly enough time for TL to pass KB on the depth chart. I bet KB has been clearly better, but you can't deny TL's talent.

I for one am not a huge KB fan and would rather TL start. But if you thought that TL would be named a starter after spring practice, then you don't know the game of football.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2018, 9:41 AM

Great post! +1 I don't know who wins the job, but I do want the best guy to start. I don't care if he is a true freshman or a 5th year senior, and I don't care if he is a 5 star stud or a walk on. I want the best performer on game day to be who is on the field until we get a comfortable lead. Then bring in the reserves.

You got to say that...

Jul 20, 2018, 9:14 AM

No worries. The QB position will be fine. 15-0.

Re: You got to say that...

Jul 20, 2018, 10:23 AM

Comin from an ex player u KB haters are idiots! Crappy play callin against bama! I’m excited to have Trevor too but bashin the probable starter just shows very little knowledge of how a TEAM works! I love gettin on here and reading what u armchair quarterbacks come up with!!!

KB is a #### good quarterback! If Trevor beats him out then I’m fine with that! But Kelly deserves our support 100 percent and the fans should show him positive reinforcement just like they do Trevor! I love Clemson football and played Clemson football and all u haters need to go pull for the coots or some other classless team! I wish KB luck as well as Trevor! I trust the coaches to pick the best man! Thank u KB for bein a Tiger and putting up with some of our more idiotic fans! I personally hope u shove it up their ###! Nothin but positive for u brother! Go Tigers!!!!!

Jul 20, 2018, 11:04 AM

^^^^^ ALL IN WITH YOU ^^^^^^^
I graduated in 1984. Did not play ball at Clemson but plenty of b-ball and football in high school. You are absolutely right. Many of these commentors don’t seem to understand the team concept. Like I said in my other post Cle is supporting the guy that’s on the field with him like anyone would want their teammate to do. Negativity is bad for any team - sports or otherwise. I don’t think we have negativity issues on the team - just among the folks on this site that think they know more than the coaches and players.

Jul 20, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: You got to say that... ]

Coming from another alumni...not many are KB haters just because they support Lawrence. Some just feel TL will be the better guy when it's all said and done. We support KB, we hope he improves, we hope he shows he can be the guy...but we are also realistic in knowing he got a really lucky break getting a trashed crappy 3-6 FSU with a 3 star true freshman leading the helm (the team that annually decides who goes to the ACC-CG in our own division of the ACC), we are realistic that teams don't always stay down year to year...and know he needs to improve some of his deficiencies in his passing game to fix the glaring weakness in last year's team (a weakness most analysts, even the coaches themselves have stated was there). These were the same passing deficiencies that were there his freshman year behind DW4, his sophomore year as well (which is why he never beat Scheussler out), last year (on display in several games...VT definitely shows it), and then yet again in the spring game.

Saying he has a passing issue is no different than saying a RB needs to improve his blocking (which people say all the time about Etienne and Feaster), or that DW4 had issues with interceptions and that could use some work (which I'm sure he'd admit)...or that Leggett needed maturing and needed to quit being "lazy"...or that the TE's this year need to step up and take it to another level.

Jul 20, 2018, 10:07 AM

WOW. Just WOW!!!!
Cle said exactly what any teammate and probably coach would want said. Just shows he is all in supporting the guy that is going to be on the field with him. If TL has been named the starter I’m thinking he would have said he was the best. He trusts the coaches (unlike all the loudmouth “experts” here). There is no divisiveness on this team. Just among “fans” on this website. WOW!!! I’ve just got one other thing to say....GO TIGERS!!! - whoever is on the field!!!!

Jul 20, 2018, 10:13 AM

And the first fan that boos at KB (or any other Tiger) needs to have their sorry butt removed and season tickets revoked. If you want to punish students for not showing up maybe we should punish anyone that creates a negative environment for the Tigers.
ALL IN
ALL ORANGE
ALL THE FRIGGIN’ TIME

Jul 20, 2018, 10:15 AM

^ I think everyone can agree on. You don't boo the players, period.

Jul 20, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

^that I can't agree on...seeing the starter has NOT been named.

The leader coming out of the Spring has been....the starter won't get named until the very first depth chart for the Furman game, coming in late August. The guy sitting at #1 on that will be the first game starter.

Dabo has his hands full ...

Jul 20, 2018, 11:23 AM

When TL demonstrates to CW and CF that he is the better QB, only then will Dabo start TL. Give it some time ... and it will play out. The QB position is tricky to analyze. It’s not one player outrunning or beating down another player. It’s decision making, keeping the Defense off guard by forcing them to respect the Offense has many options, and making your teammates better.

Remember last year. Nuk tells the world at Game 1 that Texans veteran QB has beaten out DW4 for the starting job. Two games later Nuk tells the press he was completely wrong in his assessment and just said what he thought Bill O’Brien and the team wanted and needed to hear. So give this some time and it will play out. Go Tigers!

Jul 20, 2018, 1:13 PM

I know I’m one of few on here with this opinion, but I’m 100% in support of KB. TL’s time will come, but I’ve got no interest in watching him get trucked because they rushed him in. KB is a solid qb and would be the starter in a whole lot of football teams. Dude got us to the playoff last year with a pretty average OL. It’s his to lose. Let’s go KB and Go Tigers!!

Jul 20, 2018, 1:32 PM

What makes anyone think he'll "get trucked'?? There hasn't been anything that has stated anything of the sort of TL all spring... In fact, there was the exact opposite where he trucked'a part of our defense for a 55 yard TD run in practice. He also trucked'parts of our D with a 50 yd TD pass in the spring game.

All accounts of his issues so far seem to be:
1) needing to learn and fully understand the entire playbook... Expected of a guy coming in his first few months and without a summer break to study it deeply.
2) freshman mistakes....i.e. mainly he's tried to make throws like he did in HS and is figuring out the speed of the game, the skill of the DB's are vastly different from HS. Some throws are easier to make in HS, but when you have tons of good guys in college defending them, you can't just "lop it up" and your awesome receiver be the only one to get it. Now, they'll get intercepted if not thrown in the right place. That's what it seems he's had to learn and is what they are looking for improvement in... Decision making and management of the game. And that's straight from the coaches interviews.

Jul 20, 2018, 2:21 PM

And to make sure my position is understood.... I am not saying which quarterback should start or play. Not my job to do that. My job as a fan is to support the team and coaches in a positive and enthusiastic manner no matter who is on the field. The decision of who plays is the coaches job and at this point I have no inclination to doubt their ability to do a fantastic job of that.
ALL IN
ALL ORANGE
ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

Jul 20, 2018, 2:27 PM

I think this is just a situation of Clelin trying to support the QB1 and even more so trying to give his friend some confidence.

Just the other day I rewatched the Louisville game and his passing was night and day compared to games later on in the season. I only recall seeing one situation where a receiver going deep had to slow and come back to the ball, and even then it was nothing like we saw to end the year. His screen passes were crisp and the only ones that failed were more a breakdown in blocking then a weak pass. Even his running seemed more confident and he had a second gear I didn’t even remember.

We all know the thing that separated DW from the rest was between the ears. As much as Kelly gets pumped up for being a positive guy, you can tell he cares and I really think the criticism got to him. The second half of the season I saw a player who was trying to think every ball into the receivers hands. He was thinking on every run and just looked slow at times. I never played football, but I did play basketball and I know there’s a huge difference when shooting with instinct vs thinking the ball into the basket when your confidence is shot. KB fell apart in the Spring game worse than even the Bama game when he saw what TL did to start off.

Jul 20, 2018, 3:35 PM

Was there ever a game that KB dominated so much that people shook their heads because of how talented he was? Did he ever remind fans of DW? If you say yes, you've been drinking too much or you've smoked too much weed. Any one of the quarterbacks on the roster last year could have done what KB did. Any one of them. KB is not special. He is not gifted. He is mediocre. And Clelin Ferrell should zip his lip. He's not a captain and shouldn't be speaking for the 'whole' team.

Jul 20, 2018, 5:08 PM

With that negative bs attitude u would b a looser even at a peewee level! Thank goodness u are a fan and not connected to the team in any way! Support whoever is on the field! Dabo seems like he might have a grasp on the situation! Although u probably think he has yet to prove his worth!

Jul 20, 2018, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clelin Ferrell: Bryant "clearly" better than Lawrence in spring practices ]

KB completed his first 15 pass attempts vs. the vaunted Miami defense in the ACCCG. I’d call that pretty dominant. Certainly not mediocre.

I'd prefer Ferrell stick to defense.***

Jul 20, 2018, 6:07 PM

Jul 22, 2018, 12:05 PM

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder if because Clemson football is approaching the level of Alabama football the overall IQ of the Clemson fans is also approaching the level of the fans that call into the Paul Finebaum show.

So far all we have seen as fans of TL is his high school highlight reel and his performance in the Spring Game. We are paying Dabo and his staff millions of dollars a year to make the decision on who plays. Ferrell just said that in his opinion that during the Spring Practice that KB was ahead of TL. I fully expect him to be. When Fall practice rolls around it may be a different story and TL takes over. Just like when DW was a freshman he did not start until mid season. I expect this to be the same way unless TL really outclasses KB and I do not expect TL to start the first game.

Dabo and the rest of his staff know a whole lot more about football and who is playing the best than anyone on the board. If anyone thinks that Dabo is not going to put the best player out there to try to win no matter what kind of personal feelings, including race, they need to start calling Finebaum. The team is going to do the same and trust whoever Dabo puts in as long as we are winning. If we start losing then it is OK to start questioning the decisions but to get the kind of comments about one player telling what he saw and thinks is plain stupid.

When the offense takes the field against Furman whoever has the best fall practice is going to start at QB and the team will support that person. That is a fact. If it is proven not to be a fact then we need to start hunting a new head coach.

Jul 22, 2018, 9:43 PM

Excellent comments. I don't care who starts, Bryant or Lawrence or Brice, whichever our coaching staff thinks is playing the best will and should be under center as the old saying goes.
I don't think anyone should even think that there could any bias in Dabo's decision, I think we ALL know that Coach Swinney doesn't have a biased bone in his body and I'm sure he doesn't see a White QB or a Black QB, all his QB's are Orange! I hope anyone who thinks any of our coaches or Players or Fans would have any of those feelings would simply leave the Clemson family. WE don't need that type of FAN involved with Clemson Athletics.

Years ago there was a very racist joke going around about

Jul 30, 2018, 11:29 AM

Coach Howard and racism. I think the same one was told about Bear Bryant but in either case I am not going to repeat it here. But the end of the joke was that neither one of them cared or even saw the race of the player. As long as they could play it did not matter what race, color, creed or whatever mattered. They were a football player and that was it. I think that every successful coach is that same way now that they do not see the color of a player, only what he can do. On the other hand I do see a lot of the fans that want race to play a part in who plays. This does not apply to only one color but I see it form all angles that many want race to be a part of who plays. Note I said successful coaches do not see color because if a coach bases playing time on something other than performance they are not going to be included in the list of successful coaches.

Clelin came back to take care of some unfinished business.

Jul 23, 2018, 10:03 AM

I don't believe for a second that he, or the senior leaders who returned with him, will allow discord to compromise this team.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 23, 2018, 10:23 AM

I would be interested to know who our WR's prefer.

clearly, Clelin needs to spend more time on the message

Jul 24, 2018, 7:12 AM

board. He needs to be properly edumacated on the matter!

Didn't Nuk say same thing about Watson in Houston

Jul 25, 2018, 11:09 AM

See how that turned out

Re: Didn't Nuk say same thing about Watson in Houston

Jul 25, 2018, 12:29 PM

You are exactly right, about Savage. I pointed that out in an earlier post, I guess you missed it. I just hope that the team doesn't let this become a distraction, put the best player out there.

Replies: 98
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic