Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: When it comes to the New York Jets, Trevor Lawrence has leverage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

TNET: When it comes to the New York Jets, Trevor Lawrence has leverage

Oct 29, 2020, 8:01 AM

When it comes to the New York Jets, Trevor Lawrence has leverage

There is little doubt at this point that Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence will be the No. 1 overall pick in next spring’s NFL Draft if he decides to turn pro. However, Lawrence told the media earlier this week that while he still has plans leave for the NFL, it is a decision he hasn’t made in full. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: When it comes to the New York Jets, Trevor Lawrence has leverage

Oct 29, 2020, 9:22 AM

he might as well go this year. Jets are going to be in the mix for being the worst team every year.

For a team to be 0-7 in the NFL they have got more problems

Oct 29, 2020, 11:10 AM

than a top rated or even a generational QB can fix. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out but if Trevor goes to the Jets he needs to squeeze every last cent out of his Jets contract because he will have his work cut out for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Insulting!

Oct 29, 2020, 10:19 AM

Saying that the JETS have been mired in mediocrity is an INSULT to fans of the Dallas Cowboys, a team that has truly been mired in mediocrity.

The Jets just $uck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Insulting!

Oct 29, 2020, 10:55 AM

Please, for your own sanity, please tell me you aren't a Cowboys fan. I live in Texas and I wouldn't wish playing for the Cowboys on a Coot or anybody else I didn't like.

Oct 29, 2020, 10:23 AM

It would be great if the Patriots and Jets could work a
plan so that Trevor could wind up on the Patriots team.
He could definitely beat out Newton. Trade Newton to the
Jets.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 12:24 PM

irmotig® said:

It would be great if the Patriots and Jets could work a
plan so that Trevor could wind up on the Patriots team.
He could definitely beat out Newton. Trade Newton to the
Jets.

Let me stop you right there.

As a Dolphins fan, I cannot get behind this ?? the Patriots already have plenty of success - let them faulter for a few years.

Have TL sent to Miami so I don't have to watch my team play him twice a year for 10+ years ??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 11:18 AM

Perhaps he laying the ground work for 'encouraging' the jets to trade their pick for multiple picks. "If you are planning on drafting me, I'll stay another year."

Just speculating.

Oct 29, 2020, 12:23 PM

I'm not nearly smart enough to figure out how Trevor could use his leverage, even if he wants to, to his advantage.

With the NFL having a rookie salary cap, he can't hold out for more money.

So, I guess his options are playing hardball, the way Eli Manning did. "I'm not signing with you. Trade me or I'll just sit out and wait until next year."

Or, he could come out before the draft and say, "If the Jets draft me, I'm staying at Clemson."

The point is, he will be playing a very expensive game of Chicken.

Without a salary cap, I would say the best way he could proceed would be to hire Jimmy Sexton as his agent. That guy is amazing. He got Jimbo a 75 mill contract with aTm. He got Muschamp a huge contract with SC. He does a better job for his clients getting them more money than they deserve than any other agent in sports. (Note, this is not an endorsement of Jimmy Sexton the man. It is just stating the fact that if Trevor wants to play hardball, then Sexton would be the best guy to have negotiating for him.)

I still think that someway, somehow, he ends up in the NFL next year.

But, if the NIL agreement goes into effect before the draft and Trevor could earn $10,000,000 while playing at Clemson next year, then all bets are off.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 12:30 PM

bretfsu® said:

I'm not nearly smart enough to figure out how Trevor could use his leverage, even if he wants to, to his advantage.

With the NFL having a rookie salary cap, he can't hold out for more money.

So, I guess his options are playing hardball, the way Eli Manning did. "I'm not signing with you. Trade me or I'll just sit out and wait until next year."

Or, he could come out before the draft and say, "If the Jets draft me, I'm staying at Clemson."

The point is, he will be playing a very expensive game of Chicken.

Without a salary cap, I would say the best way he could proceed would be to hire Jimmy Sexton as his agent. That guy is amazing. He got Jimbo a 75 mill contract with aTm. He got Muschamp a huge contract with SC. He does a better job for his clients getting them more money than they deserve than any other agent in sports. (Note, this is not an endorsement of Jimmy Sexton the man. It is just stating the fact that if Trevor wants to play hardball, then Sexton would be the best guy to have negotiating for him.)

I still think that someway, somehow, he ends up in the NFL next year.

But, if the NIL agreement goes into effect before the draft and Trevor could earn $10,000,000 while playing at Clemson next year, then all bets are off.

I could see TL getting well into the 6-figure range but 10s of millions? Nah

By all means he'd be comfortable but I wouldn't bet on that much offhand - who knows what the exact wording is going to look like once it is approved.

TL wouldn't need a scholarship for sure ?? I would have loved to go through college with expenses paid and basically 6 figures guaranteed made for the year just on my ability to ball out in football ??????

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 7:36 PM

Hello Nike ... who can pay Trevor any amount. For legal SME's, is there a limit on payments that TL16 can legally receive?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: When it comes to the New York Jets, Trevor Lawrence has leverage ]

There's a 'salary cap' but then there's also signing bonuses and perhaps influence on picks in the draft which will work well with his style.

Any team picking Lawrence knows this last bit means Jets could draft someone in their second or third pick that would be either a good reciever or runner... or both(Kendrick and Etienne) would be interesting to see what shakes out anyways.

i'd hate to have to move up there too. if you're gonna pay

Oct 29, 2020, 12:28 PM

big then i could suffer through it but if i gotta go to a sucky team regardless i'd rather play somewhere where its at least pleasant. Too much crazy going on it NY and NJ to move my wife and future kids up there...yuck

Re: i'd hate to have to move up there too. if you're gonna pay

Oct 29, 2020, 5:00 PM

By the way, for those of you dissing the Jets, which is pretty much all of you, there are many worse teams! Over the last 10 years there are 11 teams with worse records over all than the Jets! True, they are pretty bad right now, but there are bright days ahead with, finally, a good GM and some good draft picks in 2020! Get rid of Gace, spend lots of money (they have lots of it after cleaning house of the big money makers) and trade Darnold for another first round pick and get some good OL and they’ll be in good shape! Bring on TL and go
J-E-T-S

Re: i'd hate to have to move up there too. if you're gonna pay

Oct 29, 2020, 5:14 PM

I agree. For heaven's sake, they did win a Super Bowl! I can't say that about my Lions.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic