Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Strength of schedule will mean MUCH MORE this season..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 813

Strength of schedule will mean MUCH MORE this season..

Aug 8, 2020, 9:28 AM

IF we even have a season.

In this wacky year, it just can’t get any wackier. But, it did.

With the schedule situation changes, the strength of schedule just became so much more important.

I DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THE COMMITTEE after the 4 teams are announced as I can see some fans going bonkers after the announcement..

60/40 we have a season. At best.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strength of schedule will mean MUCH MORE this season..

Aug 8, 2020, 9:45 AM

Especially challenging since there are no non-conference match-ups to compare teams against.

Every leagues W-L record will look pretty much like this:
10-1* (conf champion winner)
8-3 (conf champion loser)
7-3
7-3
6-4
5-5
5-5
5-5
5-5
4-6
4-6
3-7
1-9
1-9

Aug 8, 2020, 10:16 AM

I politely disagree about strength of schedule meaning MUCH MORE. Recently, they’ve put two SEC teams in because of the strength of schedule argument. I don’t think any conference gets more than 1 team in the current format, unless the PAC 12 refuses to play and the Big 12 or Big Ten can’t stop beating each other. Since no one is playing anyone substantial outside of their conference, strength of schedule is circular logic and really doesn’t (shouldn’t) hold any weight.

I feel like regular season record and conference championship will mean the most and will determine teams 1-3. Team 4 will fall to either an undefeated, Power 5 champ, or the “best” Power 5 team amongst everyone else. Of course this can all get thrown out depending on parity, but I just think they would be silly to put more emphasis on strength of schedule than they already have in the past.

Go Tigers!

Aug 8, 2020, 10:25 AM

All Clemson has to do is win out and they will be 1 of the 4.

Aug 8, 2020, 10:37 AM

This is a good reason why the Tigers DON T need to play the Citadel. A good out of conference win would be icing on the cake.

Actually, I think it will be easy for the committee this year....

Aug 8, 2020, 10:36 AM

For the following reasons....

- More conference games will weed out teams. There are not going to be very many undefeated or 1 loss teams. And with less games, a loss puts you on the outside looking in unless you recover and win your conference championship...likely knocking out another team that was aiming at the playoff.
- Basically, I think you win your conference and you are in. PAC 12 will likely be left out in the cold.
- Notre Dame is actually in a conference and cannot take a ‘conference spot’.
- In the ACC in particular, having no divisions means 2 best teams likely play for conference title. That simplifies things for one conference, at least. (No chance of random 3 loss division winner winning a conference)
- I know the SEC loves themselves and thinks that they can put 4 teams in the playoffs every year, but by the end, it will be whoever wins the SECCG that goes and it will be clear cut. Especially since Bama plays UGA in regular season for once.
- People tend to whine about the playoffs and the 4th team that gets in...but how about you win all your games (or even just 1 loss), conference champ games included, and then whine about it. That’s not what typically happens though. Hard to make the playoffs....but I think the committee will not have that hard of a decision, if it comes to that.

Ahhh yes, Conference Affiliation, the last refuge of the...

Aug 8, 2020, 10:37 AM

...delusional.

Chicken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 813
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic