Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So...if the CFP involved 8-teams...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

So...if the CFP involved 8-teams...

Dec 18, 2020, 2:24 PM

based on the 12/15/20 CFB rankings, here is how the match-ups would look:

(1) Alabama v. (8) Georgia

(2) Notre Dame v. (7) Florida

(3) Clemson v. (6) Iowa State

(4) OcryO State v. (5) Texas A&M

Of course, the winner of the Bama/Georgia game would play the winner of the OcryO State/A&M game, while the winner of the Clemson/ISU game would face the winner of the BeeBee Head/Gator match-up.

What say ye?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I say 4 works well. The current system is perfect.***

Dec 18, 2020, 2:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

There hasn't been any controversy in the CFP picks yet

Dec 18, 2020, 3:08 PM

why create any?

They have nailed it every year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh

Dec 18, 2020, 2:28 PM

Bama would murder georgia, as, you know, they already did once this season, Clemson would kill Iowa State, Dame and UF might be intriguing but only because neither of them are elite IMO. Cry me a river state would probably destroy A&M.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm for expansion because it gets more buyin

Dec 18, 2020, 2:33 PM

from other fan bases and regions.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares?

Dec 18, 2020, 2:36 PM

Seriously....why does that matter? Sounds like the give everyone a trophy mentality! Well, youre not good enough to actually make the playoff on merit, so we'll just make it bigger so we can be inclusive of others. Good grief I miss the days before all this political correct BS.

Re: Who cares?

Dec 18, 2020, 2:43 PM

I think you missed it.

It wasn't about expanding the "winner" but rather about expanding participation.

In 2014 you had a team take a 14 point beating at home against a team that would later finish 6-7 for the season. You had another team lose by 3 on a last sec fg on the road. Both had identical records. One was TCU and the other was 31-0. One team got knocked out because their conference were idiots. Merit, sure but with the committee it is subjective. The more you take the "eye test" out and just use champions or record, then move from there.

I'm all for a 6 team playoff with conference champs...

Dec 19, 2020, 8:12 AM

and the group of 5 best. But when you open it up to 8+ it will just be extra SEC teams. Kinda like this year's T A&M, UGA, and UF.

Re: I'm for expansion because it gets more buyin

Dec 18, 2020, 5:31 PM [ in reply to I'm for expansion because it gets more buyin ]

Agree wholeheartedly. Top twenty teams and their fan bases should be more engaged throughout the year - with the increased chance of making the playoffs and pulling off the upset.

Dec 18, 2020, 7:40 PM

If you are going to change, how about the 5 power conference winners plus 1 wildcard team. 1 and 2 get byes and the other 4 teams play for the semifinal game. Total of five games.

Dec 18, 2020, 10:40 PM

I just think that a bye gives too much of an advantage.

Re: So...if the CFP involved 8-teams...

Dec 18, 2020, 2:34 PM

BigCUFan® said:

based on the 12/15/20 CFB rankings, here is how the match-ups would look:

(1) Alabama v. (8) Georgia

(2) Notre Dame v. (7) Florida

(3) Clemson v. (6) Iowa State

(4) OcryO State v. (5) Texas A&M

Of course, the winner of the Bama/Georgia game would play the winner of the OcryO State/A&M game, while the winner of the Clemson/ISU game would face the winner of the BeeBee Head/Gator match-up.

What say ye?

Give me Cincinnati at 8 and it's a deal.

Glad we are moving toward playoff expansion soon ??????

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2020, 2:36 PM

No.

If it would move to the 8 team format, it would not be chosen by a committee the same way.

First, there would be a Power 5 AUTOMATIC qualifier for their conference champions. It will not fly in your example that a PAC12 team would be excluded (especially undefeated USC if they win) while Iowa State 2 loses are included.

Next, there would have to be a group-of-5 highest ranked, etc automatic bd, if not two if the AAC/INDY gets an auto bid and then the other Gof5 get an automatic big.

Thus you would have two at-large spots.

Thus the committee would be more about seeding and selecting the two at-large bigs. Thus I think it would look like this (conference champ/autobid starred*):

(1) Alabama* v. (8) Cincy*
(2) Clemson* v. (7) Iowa State*
(3) 31-0* v. (6) A&M
(4) Notre Dame v. (5) USC*

That would seem to be the most feasible format***

Dec 18, 2020, 3:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: So...if the CFP involved 8-teams... ]

Doc,

I like that, too.

You may be right about the automatics, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. When we expand we could choose to have those autos - or not.

NEGATIVE ghost rider = 5+3

Dec 18, 2020, 2:46 PM

you might the 3 sec teams right

but it would be 5 long champs however determined and then at large

a chance for a little guy to get in there

Coastal ...

or whoever

I would say they should limit the number of teams from same conf to 2, 1 of which is the champ

null

Notice cincy and coastal still out

Dec 18, 2020, 2:51 PM

So why expand?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Notice cincy and coastal still out

Dec 18, 2020, 5:34 PM

Gee,

Iowa State and Texas A&M

4 teams works great. IMO, if it was expanded, go to 12 or 16.

Dec 18, 2020, 2:59 PM

The only reason to expand in my opinion is to get the Non P 5 teams involved. So expand to 16 games...eliminate one regular season game (never happen and not entirely necessary but would be nice for those programs that make it to the last couple rounds), let each conference champ get in and 6 at-large and then seed them. Or do 12 with two at large and the top four get a bye.

If an expansion doesn’t end the “some teams have no shot at the championship at the beginning of the season” issue, don’t bother.

null

Re: 4 teams works great. IMO, if it was expanded, go to 12 or 16.

Dec 18, 2020, 5:35 PM

swarley,

Too many games for kids to have to play.

That’s why I would suggest eliminating a regular season game.

Dec 18, 2020, 7:02 PM

Then the vast majority of teams play one less game (or do what the Big Ten is doing this year and have each team play a final seeded game in conference...it would allow everyone to play 12 games but for the two playing for the conf championship, that would be their 12th game). Then the first round would have 16 teams playing their 13th game, the next round would have 8 teams play their 14th game and the next round would have 4 teams play their 15th. That’s as much as we ask the championship game participants to play. The two teams would have to play too more. Not too bad.

I’m not saying I prefer this...I’m just saying that if we have to extend the CFP to a larger group, make it mean something and get the smaller conferences a seat at the table. It would drastically improve the involvement of those conferences.

null

Re: That’s why I would suggest eliminating a regular season game.

Dec 18, 2020, 10:37 PM

Swarley,

I am all for more involvement from more conferences - and the group of five.

I do worry about competitiveness - # 16 vs #1 etc. If those games were blowouts it might have a counterproductive effect.

And I wonder if teams would be motivated to play games on the same day that their conference championships were being played.

But I am willing to try some of this if it really leads to better and better distributed competition.

Dec 18, 2020, 3:05 PM

I say lets get back to normal, if there is such a thing.
Play 12 games, a Conference Championship, and the CFP's. Total 15 games.
At some future point, you play 10 conference games, one ooc game,a conference championship game then 4 games involving the top 8 teams,4 winners advance, then the 2 finalist play for the title.
Should be the same 15 games.

Dec 18, 2020, 5:37 PM

leftie,

Agree, but i would rather see 9 conference and 2 ooc games. There are lots of ooc rivalries that should be preserved.

There are typically 2-3 great teams...

Dec 18, 2020, 3:10 PM

and the leading second tier team gets in. No need to let 4 more second tier teams in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Ed Zachary. If they want to expand it to five, and have a

Dec 18, 2020, 3:23 PM

"play-in" game for the 4th seed I'd be fine with that. Otherwise leave it at four teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Just to be clear, I am not advocating an 8-team format

Dec 18, 2020, 3:15 PM

This was merely for kicks and giggles.

Re: Just to be clear, I am not advocating an 8-team format

Dec 18, 2020, 3:39 PM

+1

Actually, I think it would nearly be good for a lot of the Group of Five to quasi-split format/divisions/conferences. Nearly go to the FCS format of sorts... or really more like soccer tournament qualifying. I think THAT would put a lot more pressure on the P5 to start including better Gof5 teams.

Each group of 5 goes into six team "pods" based on geography. The top two/three teams in each grouping then play each other. For example,

AAC is now N/S (and assumes 6 teams - per pod), top two team advances. Assume

They play (assumed record): North Cincy 5-0 Memphis 4-1 vs Tulsa 4-1, UCF 4-1. Each play the opposite side teams (no rematch but head to head records are the tie breaker). Again, the top two teams advance. Thus is Cincy goes 0-2, Tulsa goes 2-0 and UCF and Memphis are 1-1 but Memphis holds the tie breaker and advances.

You leave conference play in 7 games with guaranteed high-quality matches mid season..

Meanwhile, the same thing is also happening in other Gof5 conferences/formats.

Thus we have per-described second round opponent tie-in or begin bracket play. (pref if geographically focused). Thus the top two of each conference/pod would then start play.

So if we continue with pods, we would see Tulsa and Memphis play Conference USA's UAB and Marshall. Lets say Tulsa and Marshall advance.

They have played 9 games. Now, they play the winners of the Mountain West/Sunbelt pairing in a seeded bracket.

Winner has played 11 games. Thus you even allow scheduling with a Power 5 as an OOC game.

Yeah, the losers would just schedule in a losers "bracket" or similar. I know I left out all the MACTION or Indies but just insert them as needed.

Dec 18, 2020, 5:28 PM

I'm Ok with those matchups but the 8 team format would be even better after this weekend - with ND and Florida falling a bit and Iowa State having to further prove themselves.

Dec 18, 2020, 10:30 PM

How does 2-loss Iowa State get in over Coastal.
We do have a point of comparison; Coastal best the Louisiana team that destroyed Iowa state.

There’s no credibility in the CFP rankings outside of the top 5.

4 of 8 are SEC...THAT is why we don't need an 8 team playoff***

Dec 19, 2020, 8:08 AM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic