Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shocking to see so many Clemson-ites
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,761

Shocking to see so many Clemson-ites

Jun 13, 2020, 10:43 AM

Having such a problem with the university's active disavowel of horrific racial abuse by way of name changing.

We have always claimed to be classy. To have class.

Arguing and fighting to keep the names of lynchers and slave holders is the furthest from class. SMH ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shocking to see so many Clemson-ites

Jun 13, 2020, 11:06 AM

I have no issue with the name changes, and many others would not either if that was the end of it. Many gun owners would be for certain gun laws if enacting them would not establish a new baseline. By removing Tillman and Calhoun we are one step closer to removing Clemson.

Tillman Hall, the Calhoun Honors College, and Clemson University are not known for their namesakes but for the specific entities. During the Indian mascot controversy, one of the Washington players asked what would you think if someone was to say "A couple of Redskins just walked in"? Would you turn and expect to see a couple of Indians or would you expect to see fans or players from the football team?

The Clemson brand has nothing to do with the namesakes of any of the buildings or programs on campus. None of the defenders are highlighting the indiscretions of any of these men and most would know little if it was not brought up by others.

As I said in the beginning, I have no problem with removing Calhoun and Tillman, but I will be kicking and screaming when they start calling for the name of Clemson University to be changed. That time is going to come that much sooner now.

Re: Shocking to see so many Clemson-ites

Jun 13, 2020, 12:17 PM

The Clemson name will never change. There are so many reasons this would never happen none the least of which are the lawsuits. The city of Clemson, the university, and even the state would be so overwhelmed with litigation it would be impossible to manage. That's just one of many reasons it will never happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree completely!***

Jun 13, 2020, 1:33 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Building names are one thing, but nobody is asking

Jun 13, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Shocking to see so many Clemson-ites ]

for universities to change their name. Almost all universities over 100 years old are likely to have some ties back to before the Civil War. Shoot, even the founders of Harvard and Yale have such ties.

There are too many schools that would be affected. I have zero concern with universities being told to change their name.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Building names are one thing, but nobody is asking

Jun 13, 2020, 1:51 PM

I would have thought the same several weeks ago, but with some of the changes being pushed by various groups across the country, I can’t be certain that it would never be considered. Hopefully, there is a line that we do not cross and apply some sane criteria - but who knows.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,761
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic