Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shocked to see USC recruiting class ranked # 8
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Shocked to see USC recruiting class ranked # 8

Jan 7, 2021, 8:55 AM

Then, I looked closer and discovered to my delight that the notation concerned the real USC. Our little brother SCAR is ranked # 100 behind the SEC football power Vanderbilt. Really, what kind of a quality player would ever want to go to that garbage dump of a program?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And starters are flocking to the portal to make way

Jan 7, 2021, 8:57 AM

for these unheralded diamonds in the rough

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The kind who have their hands out...

Jan 7, 2021, 8:58 AM

looking for cash, cars, and jobs for their parents.

Otherwise, not so much !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Foreman's reason for choosing them says it all

Jan 8, 2021, 7:49 AM

Self-promotion

"Foreman had made clear that developing his personal brand was important to his decision."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Haven't you heard? High School recruiting is no longer

Jan 7, 2021, 9:03 AM

important. You don't want promising talent coming in to get in the way of all the transfers that are wanting to flock to your program!

The PORTAL is where it is now when it come to winning football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Shocked to see USC recruiting class ranked # 8

Jan 7, 2021, 9:27 AM

I'm shocked to hear that the Real USC has been able to recruit this well. Getting Foreman gave them a big bump I guess.

Maybe CF is looking forward to spending the next three years...

Jan 7, 2021, 9:36 AM

playing is meaningless bowl games like the Alamo, Holiday, Las Vegas, Sun or Independence, with very little if any real chance of playing for let alone winning a national championship. If that's the case, he's probably in the right place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe CF is looking forward to spending the next three years...

Jan 7, 2021, 10:06 AM

The coots will go after a lot of these portal guys since they have nothing coming in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...

Jan 7, 2021, 10:18 AM

apparently they've learned the hard way that JuCo transfers and transfers from schools like Bill & Mary will only get you so far.

But they are going to make him a social media star!***

Jan 7, 2021, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Maybe CF is looking forward to spending the next three years... ]

they get paid in California***

Jan 8, 2021, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Shocked to see USC recruiting class ranked # 8 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 9:04 PM

One thing to always keep in mind when looking at recruiting rankings is how many kids did they sign. Part of what handicaps a lot of our recruiting classes is that Clemson typically has small classes. We don’t bring in 25 kids every year like a lot of schools. We don’t have the turnover they do. Or rather we don’t run kids off the way Alabama does and Georgia etc.

Recruiting rankings are an aggregate score. For example, right now our class is ranked number four, but when you look at quality, we are tied at number one with Ohio State because our average player rating is the highest. But our aggregate score because we only signed 19 is putting us in fourth place.

Now Alabama is the exception and often so is Ohio State and Georgia because they sign quality and quantity. But a lot of the schools sign 25 and even over sign and that makes the recruiting ranking look higher than it really is because when you start looking at the quality of each player the class starts losing a lot of that shine.

Interestingly enough, four years down the road when 24/7 and ESPN and others go back and reevaluate recruiting classes and re-rank them based on their production our classes almost always go up! They look even better. Because we evaluate and develop better than most other teams.

But we also do things that hurt us especially our depth. We don’t run kids off if they look like a bust. If a kid gets hurt or sick we honor his scholarship till he graduates, sometimes even when something happens and they can’t play football before even stepping on campus as a freshman. Let’s be honest we have also brought in a lot of kids on scholarship over the years as part of the friends and family program! Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, rarely if ever do those things! They are truly win at all costs!

Jan 7, 2021, 9:21 PM

You are spot on and I was nodding my head until you got to the friends and family program. Some of those that were once referred to as "5 Hearts" players include
Nolan Turner...Made All American list, and the
Davis Twins.. Solid contributors for depth. There have been several more. Now, there are guys on the roster that frankly wouldnt see the field at most other P5 programs. Frankly
The Coaches kids and Herbies sons come to mind although Jake might be ok if he bulks up a LOT. But if it keeps Davo and Coach V happy, I can live with Will catching a pass against Wake now and then in the 4th.

What has hurt is the number of supposed studs who never played a down for us. Josh Belk.. noooo questions there. The Constantin kid, LB from Louisiana, injured and never played. I remember a top O line recruit a few years ago who got here then a spinal issue was discovered. I ABSOLUTELY admire that CU honors their scholarship..just wonder if there is a way to take it off of the FB numbers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 11:39 PM

I’m pretty sure now that injured players who are forced to retire are allowed to keep scholarships without it counting against the 85 rule.

Correct.***

Jan 8, 2021, 12:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 1:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Shocked to see USC recruiting class ranked # 8 ]

I believe Herbie's sons are walk-ons and do not count against the 85 scholarships.

Jan 8, 2021, 6:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Shocked to see USC recruiting class ranked # 8 ]

Nolan Turner is a great kid, amazing story, and solid safety, but let’s not kid ourselves, Bama and OSU have far superior talent at numerous positions especially safety. I love Turner, but I’d rather have a 4 or 5 star guy on the field.

The Davis twins were OK but not truly talented. We have done a great job developing a lot of the friends and family kids, but imagine how good we could be if those were 4 and 5 star guys being developed?!

Heart only takes you so far. Life and football aren’t Rocky movies.

OSU boat raced our defense! Part of that was OSU watching the VaTech film. People are starting to figure out how to exploit BV’s tactic of lining up late. Sermon scored on a play where OSU snapped the ball and almost all of our players were on one side of the field. Every player was out of position! Stuff like that happened all night. OSU snapped the ball sometimes and our guys were still standing and looking at the sidelines for signals.

That’s coaching. We can fix that. And it hurt not having Turner in the first half. Not because he is a great safety but he is the QB of the secondary. Just like it hurt not having Skalski. But those things are situational and fixable. It was a bad night for BV and the defense.

But we were also out athleted by superior talent at numerous positions and only better recruiting will fix that or possibly smarter recruiting by filling needs better and addressing depth at certain positions. You can have a great recruiting class every year but still have weaknesses and holes and/or depth issues at certain positions.

The reality is our defense has lacked talent and depth since 2018.

Regarding the offense, injuries are killing us at receiver and we haven’t had a great TE since Leggett, but the biggest issue is the fact Dabo has yet to resolve our long standing OL issues! My fingers are crossed that we are addressing it with talent in the ‘20 and ‘21 recruiting classes but that is yet to be determined.

I am like many others baffled by our chronic OL deficiencies and wonder is it talent, lack of depth, scheme, coaching, or a combination of those things! We have to get it fixed if we want another championship.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:25 PM

I am confused by your post. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows that USC is referring to the Men of Troy. At least all those outside of SC. This other team? Yeah that's Carolina.. oh wait.. no, not them either, that is the team that actually has a color named after it. Yeah, i guess you mean those chicken folk in Columbia that wear Burgandy (what the heck is garnet?)..or Black, and have a crowing banty.

You mean to tell me

Jan 8, 2021, 6:46 AM

they’re not lining up at the door to play for Frank Bummer’s son???

I’m shocked!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic