Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rumor around the coaching circle is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Rumor around the coaching circle is

Nov 4, 2019, 10:26 AM

BV maybe a strong potential candidate for FSU.

Hopefully he won't leave.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Not going to happen

Nov 4, 2019, 10:29 AM

FSU too good of a job to hire someone without HC experience. Even with the state of things how they are in Tallahassee, their hiring pool won’t have coordinators in the top 10 even.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not going to happen

Nov 4, 2019, 10:31 AM

FSU too good of a job

That may have been true 5 years ago.

Not anymore. It's a cluster in the admin ranks. You'll see a lot of big name guys looking to make a move skip this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on your interpretation of “big name”

Nov 4, 2019, 10:34 AM

They’re not getting Urban or Bob Stoops but a guy like Norvell at Memphis would jump on that job. A mess in the administration still doesn’t change the fact that a good coach there with the access to talent that they have could be a career-definer.

Exactly.

Nov 4, 2019, 10:37 AM

Just ask Willie Taggart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Key word “good” coach

Nov 4, 2019, 10:41 AM

Wasn’t a fan of the Willie hiring from the beginning but a coach that *actually* knows what they’re doing that’s also given time to build the roster in an effective way (getting D1 capable OL and QB’s) could have a lot of success

T.U.

Nov 4, 2019, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Exactly. ]

For Buckwheat. I miss those guys.

Big name as in a current P5 HC making a lateral move

Nov 4, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Depends on your interpretation of “big name” ]

Look for a P5 Coordinator, or a smaller DI/AA (Like Memphis or Cincinnati) to make a leap.

One thing is for sure. FSU better not screw up this hire or they will end up like the Coots for the next 20 years.

There aren’t a lot of P5 HC’s that would be looking to make a step up though

Nov 4, 2019, 10:44 AM

Matt Campbell, Matt Rhule, Fleck are your hot names but Campbell’s buyout is too big for them, Rhule likely going to NFL soon, and Fleck is more smoke and mirrors for them to go after (but also a $9 mil buyout).

Mark Stoops I think would jump on that job if offered and Memphis is a better job than several P5 schools so Norvell isn’t exactly unknown.

The people plugged in at FSU have already said its going to be a guy with HC experience.

Do actually like Mark Stoops? He seems to be pretty highly regarded

Nov 4, 2019, 12:51 PM

and I find that a bit puzzling. Hes a pretty good defensive coach, but his offenses at Kentucky are atrocious every year. Like bottom 1/3rd or 1/4th in all of FBS in SP+ bad.

I could see him at NC State or something similar, but absolutely not at FSU.

Was a good DC at FSU and has FL recruiting ties

Nov 4, 2019, 2:18 PM

But I’m with you, that hire wouldn’t strike fear into me (neither would Bob Stoops IMO).

Venables @ FSU would be a nightmare

Nov 4, 2019, 1:20 PM [ in reply to There aren’t a lot of P5 HC’s that would be looking to make a step up though ]

Can you imagine how many Johnny Five Stars he would get to terrorize offenses?

He is an ACE recruiter and tireless perfectionist.

Good thing he haz Zero interest and he appreciates what he has now.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Not going to happen ]

I see that working both ways.

If I'm a coordinator I hesitate for my first head coaching job to be a situation like FSU.

While the prestige and possibilities are there to succeed, if an assistant goes and fails it could be tough to get another chance at a head job. The unknown of never doing it before would make me question the decision.

FSU won't want a coordinator who isn't at an elite school, and I'm not sure that coordinators at elite schools want to go to FSU right now.

I could be completely wrong and they hire Jeff Scott. I hope not though.

Not sure who would want to go there

Nov 10, 2021, 10:50 AM

With the cluster @&$) they have there. Think some changes are so at a higher level before you could want to go there.

But I’m sure someone wants the job. Any of our coaches would be too smart to head that way I believe..

Nov 5, 2019, 6:39 AM [ in reply to Not going to happen ]

I have heard this from several people, but I don't think that it is true that they will not consider coordinators. I know that Tennessee has not been good in recent years, but they do have a history and hired Pruitt. Georgia may not have the history, unless you go back to ancient, but they have been good and hired Smart. Ohio State has been good and does have a history and they hired Day. They may hire a current head coach, but some coordinators will get a look.

Venables IS NOT going to FSU. He has kids at Clemson

Nov 4, 2019, 10:34 AM

and another at Daniel who is committed to Clemson. Besides that, he doesn't want that kind of headache nor does he want to compete with Dabo. He isn't about money, either. Brent Venables IS NOT going to FSU. Can't believe we have this conversation every single year and every single year it's the same rationale. He is not taking that job.

He absolutly loves being a coordinator

Nov 4, 2019, 2:21 PM

He thrives on figure out what defense to use every week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rumor around the coaching circle is

Nov 4, 2019, 10:40 AM

I have a good friend that is a FSU fan and keeps his ear close to what goes on and such.....he claims they have their targets set clearly on Stoops - have him there for say 3-4 years before handing off reins to Briles, who they are very high on apparently.

Nov 4, 2019, 11:38 AM

Stoops makes a lot of sense to me for FSU. Can’t recruit to Kentucky well but he always seems to have some dudes, Florida will help him get better players and he usually puts a solid defense on the field.

Nov 4, 2019, 12:22 PM

Could be wrong but I think he means Bob, not Mark.

yeah, gots to be bob***

Nov 4, 2019, 2:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 10:45 AM

There's as much chance that Venables leaves Clemson for FSU as there is we take down the North stands of Memorial Stadium so that we can use that footprint for a new hockey arena .

DB23

We're getting a hockey team on campus?!?!?

Nov 4, 2019, 12:47 PM

SAWEEEET!

Re: We're getting a hockey team on campus?!?!?

Nov 4, 2019, 9:49 PM

Field hockey or ice hockey?

Dang it! This is the second time I’ve heard the hockey

Nov 4, 2019, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Rumor around the coaching circle is ]

Arena rumor! Must be something to it.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Sometimes there's truth to a rumor

Nov 4, 2019, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Rumor around the coaching circle is ]

Those north stands are coming down in 3...2...1

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 4, 2019, 10:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Nov 4, 2019, 11:39 AM

Screw Calford.

Nov 4, 2019, 10:47 AM

If he wanted to be a head coach he would've been one already

If BV wanted a HC job

Nov 4, 2019, 10:50 AM

I would think he could’ve snapped his fingers and been the new K St head coach last year

last year he said he sold the Clemson dream to his sons

Nov 4, 2019, 2:23 PM

and wasn't going anywhere because of it

Being a Candidate Usually Implies The Individual Wants to

Nov 4, 2019, 10:49 AM

Participate. I would find it almost impossible to believe that BV would leave until at least Jake is out of CU. Plus I would suspect Clemson would bump his contract up to stay. Certainly cannot match a HC salary at FSU but would bump him a 1/3 to 1/2 million.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being a Candidate Usually Implies The Individual Wants to

Nov 4, 2019, 10:52 AM

Stoops.

Re: Being a Candidate Usually Implies The Individual Wants to

Nov 5, 2019, 5:53 AM [ in reply to Being a Candidate Usually Implies The Individual Wants to ]

Jake is on the way to being a Clemson Tiger star.

Nov 4, 2019, 11:17 AM

We’re already starting this?

The dirtpeckin' scoks on this board will start makin' sense

Nov 4, 2019, 3:04 PM

before Jimmy Greenbeans leaves for FSU.

Nov 4, 2019, 3:33 PM

Bv has said that he is happy doing what he does. Why do you people keep bringing this up? He ain't going no where except to work.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 9:47 PM

BV also said he had to talk his daughter off a ledge because she was crunk that Clemson was dropped from 1 to 2 and then further down. Lol. The Venables family is All In from the youngest daughter up to coach BV.

BV is going to be mentioned for every job that

Nov 5, 2019, 5:03 AM

becomes available. I wouldn’t lose sleep of any of the coaching rumors until you hear those coaches say they are interested. I believe that all of our coaches are smart enough not to walk into the FSU cesspool.

Nov 5, 2019, 6:24 AM

BV said he already doesn’t care about the money. Plus he has his kids rooted here. FSU will not happen for him.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic