Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ron Rivera Fired
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Ron Rivera Fired

Dec 3, 2019, 3:16 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His mom?

Dec 3, 2019, 3:22 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ron Rivera Fired

Dec 3, 2019, 3:24 PM

IN Buick's hey day the Rivera was a pretty nice car. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 4:04 PM

Deuce and a Quarter

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 3:24 PM

I am shocked by the timing, not the decision.

Maybe they want an early shot at a college coach.

Doing this a few years ago allowed the Texans to hire BOB when many other NFL teams were eyeing him.

Not surprised...

Dec 3, 2019, 3:28 PM

Team has quit on him....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am sure the Panther's problems are all Ron's doing . . .

Dec 3, 2019, 3:28 PM

NOT!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 3:33 PM

Nice guy but its been obvious for a while he owes his entire career to Newton falling in his lap. He has no idea what to do without a ball control offense to prop up his defense. This year he changed to a 3-4, effectively rendering his best defensive player irrelevant, and the results been one of the worst defenses in the league. When you're supposed to be a defensive guru that equals getting shown the door. He will have a job somewhere next year though if he wants one.

Dec 3, 2019, 4:37 PM

A lot of people have been calling for the 3-4 for years without realizing it's not an easy switch. I actually liked the starting unit they managed to put together this year, but honestly once Short went down, they should've bailed on it. That front was precariously thin at the start, but they kept trying to run it without Short, then without Poe, then they even tried to stay in it for a while this past Sunday when McCoy got dinged up. They've got tons of edge guys, but you just can't run an effective 3-4 without a couple of boulders and 3 or 4 slightly smaller boulders up front. If your linemen are getting single-blocked because they're either tired from a lack of rotation or just not effective at winning 1 on 1 matchups, your ILBs are going to get wrecked. And that's what's happened to Kuechly and Thompson this year. Rivera has experience with the 3-4 from SD and should've known better.

And you're right about Newton. The fact that he was usually the best pure football player on the field at any given time covered up a lot of Rivera's team's deficiencies. Rivera has had this idea that the Panthers are a power running team throughout his tenure, but not having Newton this year has proved that to be false, something that knowledgeable fans already knew. The Panthers have always been good at converting short yardage situations, but it's mostly been because they've had an absolute battletank at QB, and Stewart at RB who despite some of his shortcomings was probably one of the strongest backs to ever play. Power running teams actually open holes for their runners, they don't require their runners to be strong enough to shed 2 tacklers behind the LoS and then bull forward into a pile for a yard.

Another incredibly frustrating thing is that in 9 seasons, he still has not learned how to properly manage the clock and timeouts in end of half/game situations. And while I don't advocate Madden as an effective football teaching tool, most 12 year olds that regularly play Madden can tell you how/when to use timeouts.

Dec 3, 2019, 3:33 PM

Thanks to Ron Rivera for the 5 Playoff seasons and the Super Bowl and I sincerely hate it for him but something had to be done or the losing would just continue to happen

saw this coming.***

Dec 3, 2019, 3:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 3:50 PM

Maybe if he had pushed to draft some quality young men from Clemson over the years, things could have turned out differently.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 3:50 PM

Might he move to the college game. Good fit at FSU or USC?

Dec 3, 2019, 3:51 PM

Should fire the OC for running McCaffrey twice between the tackles on the goal line for no gain after doing the same thing in a previous game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Dec 3, 2019, 4:06 PM

https://twitter.com/woodywhitehurst/status/1201967852594638849?s=20

ODU is looking for a Football Coach, So is Boston College

Dec 3, 2019, 4:08 PM

I think Boston College is better, they got more money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic