Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Roku best option four youtube tv?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Roku best option four youtube tv?

Sep 11, 2020, 4:18 AM

I have no choice but to get youtube tv for the ACCN.
I don't have a smart tv and don't own a laptob.
Would it be best for me to get a Roku?

Thank you

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It kinda depends on a few things.

Sep 11, 2020, 5:06 AM

Are you going wired or wireless? If you can get your hands on a Xbox One or PS4, those devices are the absolute best because they’re built for power. Not worth the money to get a brand new one if YouTube tv is all you’re using it for though. But with the new generation on consoles coming out this season, the prices will drop. If not, Roku will do. If you can get a model that allows you to hook an Ethernet cable to it, you’ll get a lot more stability. I don’t believe the roku express will allow that, but their higher end models will.

Just looked it up. The roku ultra for $99 is the cheapest roku with an Ethernet port. If you can only go wireless, the $29 roku express will work.

Message was edited by: owensb01®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have Apple TV and like it a lot.***

Sep 11, 2020, 8:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It kinda depends on a few things.

Sep 11, 2020, 8:40 AM [ in reply to It kinda depends on a few things. ]

The best media boxes for streaming are widely recognized to be either the AppleTV or Nvidia Shield Pro. If you want the best picture for all of your streaming, especially if you stream everything, you want one of these. I got the Shield last year, and wish I would have purchased one of these years ago, rather than all of the FireTV sticks and Roku's I've been through. The first version of the Shield from 2015 is still receiving firmware updates today.

Re: Roku best option four youtube tv?

Sep 11, 2020, 8:16 AM

We use the Amazon Fire TV Stick and really like it overall. https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-with-Alexa-Voice-Remote/dp/B0791TX5P5

As mentioned above, if you get something that you can connect an ethernet cable to, you'll get more consistent streaming, but we rarely have issues with the fire stick and if we do have issues, a quick reset fixes it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate the firestick... I firmly believe most just use

Sep 11, 2020, 8:43 AM

It to pirate content.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Roku works good for me. Have about 300Mb/s speed over the

Sep 11, 2020, 8:23 AM

wireless and don't see issues. Others may be able to speak to it's performance at other wireless speeds.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roku works good for me. Have about 300Mb/s speed over the

Sep 11, 2020, 8:38 AM

Ours is supposed to be 200, but we don't actually get anything close to that (60-90 on a good day, 10 on a bad day). We don't typically have issues streaming (Fire TV Stick) over wifi at anything over 10-15Mb/s.

Might need a better router that's capable of delivering the

Sep 11, 2020, 8:42 AM

bulk of the speed that your service "delivers". I have "gig" service, and get about 940 at the desktop computer. I am sure there's a better router that would give me more of that over wireless, but haven't needed to look at that yet.

Re: Might need a better router that's capable of delivering the

Sep 11, 2020, 10:28 AM

I have a pretty decent mesh router system, not the standard junk the internet companies give you. The internet just sucks during peak hours here in Charlotte (I plug my laptop directly into the modem when working from home, and that speed test is usually pretty comparable to what we get over wifi).

It seemed to get worse when everyone started working from home. I just feel like the networks are overloaded. I'll switch to fiber at some point if we start having issues, but haven't really felt the need for it yet.

If you can't afford a smart tv... you probably have

Sep 11, 2020, 8:53 AM

Budget issues... tne roku express us the best/ cheapest.

Youtube just jacked up their rates.

May want to look into fubu tv or another service.

I still don't see how any 1 is passing on charter. If you have to use their internet..it is cheaper to go with their select plan.
$120 month.. but you get no dvrs..so maybe that is the killer.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I have Roku's and Firesticks on all my TV's....

Sep 11, 2020, 8:54 AM

I find that the Roku gives a more consistent/reliable picture quality than the Firestick. Overall you can't go wrong with either but I find that I prefer the Roku when watching TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roku. But why YouTube TV?

Sep 11, 2020, 9:01 AM

I have a Roku Stick+ and I like it a lot. Used to be that not all of them had a mute button on the remote. It’s worth looking for this feature (no extra charge). You may have to go to a different retailer to find it. Try Best Buy.
Also, I would recommend Hulu+Live TV. Both have ACCN. It’s a little cheaper and you get the Fox Sports Regional Networks. (YouTube only has them in select areas.) Really just need to compare channels to see what suits you.

Message was edited by: 84TigerDad®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can also do the free trials and find one that works best for

Sep 11, 2020, 9:12 AM

you. I find the interfaces very different, and did not like most of them when I tried them. Like the DVR and interface best with YTTV. Channel list is always important as well. None of them are the same. Have to decide what you really need for the entire family and chose appropriately.

I just signed up for Hulu Live TV

Sep 11, 2020, 10:38 AM

For multiple reasons: they have ACCDN, I wanted the Disney package, I already was paying for Hulu and ESPN (magazine carryover), and YouTube TV (my first choice) just hiked their monthly price $15 AND no longer offers Fox Sports South and Southeast, the channels that carry the Braves. So I strongly recommend Hulu!

I use my XBox or iPad, but I highly recommend the Chromecast for turning a dumb TV into a smart TV. It's cheap, you just chuck it into an HDMI, it's easy to setup, you control it with your phone, and it works with pretty much every streaming service.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just signed up for Hulu Live TV

Sep 11, 2020, 10:52 AM

We have 3 TVs set-up with Amazon fire and one with Roku...
Either works fine..

The speed of your internet service is probably more critical IMO.. most everyone has high speed Internet these days though...

Be mindful of any data limits on your plan if you’re just getting into streaming ..
The data overages can suck up any savings you have...
Get an unlimited data plan if you can at a reasonable price...

Sep 11, 2020, 7:52 PM

thanks everyone. I did not know about the xbox which my son has. I choose youtube because of the 6 accounts and the 3 screens.

Sep 11, 2020, 8:58 PM

I have several Roku Ultra’s around the house. Most using hard wired ethernet, but also have run one using wifi. No problems and pretty simple screens to navigate. 200 Mbs Xfinity Internet is probably the biggest reason we rarely get loss of resolution or buffering.

Re: Roku best option four youtube tv?

Sep 11, 2020, 8:35 PM

Nvidia shield is by far the best streaming device. While it is pricier than the roku, fire stick and Apple TV , it is built specifically for streaming High frame rate video/ video games.

Re: My grandsons have an xbox here so

Sep 11, 2020, 9:22 PM

I got them to help me get the 2 week trial. I live rural so I have att Internet and wifi. We did this this evening and so far everything is working great. Att has been good with my streaming services. If I am pleased with the next 2 games, Abc and Accn then I may keep it during football season. Lots of sports channels and all local channels.

Roku Ultra works well***

Sep 12, 2020, 11:37 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic