Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Student Attendance; Baseball Style of Play
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Student Attendance; Baseball Style of Play

Jun 25, 2018, 9:22 AM

Student Attendance; Baseball Style of Play

Email Bag

In this format, we will publish your comments and answer your questions. To submit a comment or questions, please email me at mickeyplyler@hotmail.com.

Mickey,

So the issue on football attendance is not about noon games against Furman or other non competitors,

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Student Attendance; Baseball Style of Play

Jun 25, 2018, 12:50 PM

I like Monte too and firmly believe he will get us to Omaha soon. We will see this year as it's all "his" players. I like the recruiting style of getting athletes with speed and can just play baseball. However, I have to respectively disagree with the "homerun" theory. It's nice and a wow moment and can certainly change momentum but I certainly like the quote below from perhaps the greatest player to ever hit a baseball:

”Of course, everybody’s trying to hit home runs, and of course, everybody can’t hit home runs and still be a good consistent hitter.

It’s too bad that more fellows don’t realize this, because they are making themselves .230, .240, or .250 hitters when they could very well be .310, .320. or .340 hitters.”

Ted Williams

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roger needs to learn how to avoid a wall of text

Jun 25, 2018, 5:11 PM

through paragraphs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jun 25, 2018, 7:13 PM

Simple bring back general admission and Garunteed to fill it up. Sometimes it’s takes one to ruin something for others. Clemson it’s time to get your point across and stop doing free tickets. Kids don’t show even for some big games. Oh well your school tried to make it the best but you kids want to be on your phone or whatever. Also alcohol sales might help put butts on the hill and revenue but I’ll save that for another day.

Jun 25, 2018, 7:16 PM

As far as baseball goes I believe in Monte. Just imaging what we really could be if all the pieces came back or we get some of those guys that get drafted in hs that are committed. Oh well it is the nature of the game but I am a coach and I tell my players yes I love the long ball but why don’t you get base hits and get more guys on base and then hit the hr. Solo hr does you no good. You’re not gonna have a pitcher on his a game all the time and etc. small ball does matter and moving guys over on a sac fly or rbi single and such. It’s always gonna be the game.

Jun 26, 2018, 12:54 AM

It seems the talk of student football tickets is coming back up with the season in sight, between this article and and David Hood's about student tickets I figured I'd give a students perspective.

To start off with, you're correct there are a lot of excuses for students not to go to games. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's more convenient to just watch it on tv (the view is usually better) and sometimes we're still recovering from the night before. But, all of these are reasons that anyone might not go to the game (not just students). Now there are a few specific reasons for students to not want to. First, is that with the current system we have no skin in the game. If you can remember to log on at the correct time you can get in a lottery to get a ticket. There's very little time and no money required to get a ticket, there's also no consequence if you don't go to the game. Second, it's hard to go with your friends. Again, with the current lottery, it's difficult to get all of your friends in the same section, and they've really increased the security around the hill and student section in recent seasons. IF you combine these two, it's easy to see why students might not go. Just log on and get a ticket because why not, then go to a tailgate or dt and if you're having a good time with all your friends and have a good view of the game, it might make more sense to stay. There's no consequence if you're ticket goes unused. Finally, Clemson is getting alot more national attention. So there are more students who are coming to Clemson because of it's academics who might not have football as high of a priority as the student body did in the past. The culmination of these three issues leads to a student section that won't be full most games.

Next topic: the hill. I thought this was somewhat common knowledge, but they decreased the capacity of the hill this past season due to fire code (apparently they viewed it as a safety concern after the best game in recent memory [in my opinion]: the Notre Dame game in the tropical storm.) Not only did they decrease the capacity but they also increased security. The top of the hill wasn't just open, it had specific entrances, they also installed a fence between the hill and student section and added more ticket checkers/security. This doesn't make sense to me, they decreased the capacity of the hill because apparently people couldn't leave it fast enough in an emergency (or when rushing the field), but they also constrained it even more by fencing it in and making one entrance/exit at the top. To me the solution would be to add more gates at the bottom (or two really big gates that span the entire width of the hill). So, even if the hill was at capacity, it would still appear to be only 3/4 full.

Now that I've made excuses and explained why students aren't filling the section let me say that there are enough passionate Clemson students to pack the student section, but the current system doesn't always find them. Every time I get a ticket I go to the game, but I didn't get a ticket for the Auburn game so I couldn't go. Every game there are students that want to be in the stadium going crazy for the tigers but the lottery system didn't work in their favor.

To me, the solution is simple: bring back camping. You bet that if a student camps over night for a ticket then they'll be at that game. Additionally, it allows students to camp together and get seats together. You don't have to worry about this haves vs. have nots argument that always comes up when they try to charge students and it's a great tradition. The reason I was told they did away with it is because it's a "liability". This is crazy to me, what happened that all of a sudden it's a liability when students have been doing it for the past however long? We have one of the safest campuses in the nation. It's not a liability during basketball games? It's not a liability for the Duke students camping out for basketball games? I'm really not sure how they came up with this conclusion but apparently it came from the board of directors so I doubt it'll change.
Charging students for tickets is a decent option because at least students have some skin in the game, but for some, their parents will just pay for it and it'll be the same as now. At the very least, they need to have some sort of consequence for taking a ticket and not using it. I've been told the reason they don't already have this is because they don't trust their ticketing partner to give reliable data. For example, the ticketing company doesn't register every student that enters the stadium. I agree that I would be pretty upset if they didn't allow me to get a ticket for the next game if I really did attend the current game, but they could just have students take a selfie with their student ID and the scoreboard in the shot to prove they were there in the chance that they're incorrectly marked absent.

Anyway, I know this is a long post so I'd be impressed if you made it this far. Not all students skip the games just because we want to be on our phone or whatever. There's still a passionate student fanbase that realize we have the best situation in the country and would be at every game if it were up to us.

Jun 26, 2018, 5:35 AM

Agree with your post. Either do camping out and for games that not many camp out like a Furman or someone do general admission. Sucks in a way security has gotten tight. I use to go in on the hill with friends after the team ran down or student section in the corner with gf and her friends. People complained on getting trampled on and that’s fine. But the gate to block it is absurd. I noticed it during the nc state game. Fans use to be able to access Howard’s rock and now it seems impossible. It’s good to have a growing university and sports aren’t all that are on the high. It’s a simple fix and needs to be taken care of. Just food for thought alcohol sales would make more revenue as a whole and also might make some students dt wanna attend. Family atomoshere crap can go sorry. I love clemson and have attended many top games home and away in all states to see the tigers. Yes the drunks this and that but you take your kids to pro games, concerts, other events and there also watching god knows what on tv and the video games. Just think. Just worth a try. Never know in life until you try things.

Jun 26, 2018, 6:48 AM

There are times I would like to trade upper deck tickets for the hill, can we still do that?

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic