Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine

Apr 28, 2020, 7:05 PM

for C 19 by September . Just saw this on CBS news .
This may be in time to save football season .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this like the Israeli scientists who said recently

Apr 28, 2020, 8:08 PM

that they have a cure for cancer?

#notbuyingit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Is this like the Israeli scientists who said recently

Apr 29, 2020, 12:29 PM

There's cures for a lot of things until you tamper with Big Pharms profit margin for treating the symptoms.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this like the Israeli scientists who said recently

Apr 29, 2020, 1:28 PM

I always find it interesting that many people feel the way you do about cures being prevented so the pharmacy companies can make money on treatments. Then many of the same people who say that will turn around and say that vaccines are largely just a way for the pharmacy companies to make money as well. So on one hand they don't want to cure diseases because they can make money treating them instead, but on the other hand they want to push vaccines which cure diseases so they can make money?

If for instance there was a vaccine for cancer, couldn't they just tell people that it only works if you get the cancer vaccine once every 3 months or something? That way they can make money off of a vaccine 4 times per year for the majority of the population instead of treating a smaller portion of the population once they get cancer?

Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine

Apr 28, 2020, 8:13 PM

Report I saw had the caveat 'if it works. '

No guarantee.

I'm sure they're doing incredible work, but Prez Trump has ordered elimination of all but the absolute most necessary red tape for everything Covid-related.

That means we will get a vaccine quicker than normal, but it will also be less reliable than normal.

Apr 28, 2020, 8:17 PM

Pardon me...your story says Oxford. Not sure where my story was from.

Oxford researchers are subject to UK regulations, not USDA. Let's hope your story is a good one.

Apr 28, 2020, 8:35 PM

The FDA doesn’t always react quickly. I hope this will be an exception.

Apr 28, 2020, 8:40 PM

and just how long do you think it will take to create 350 million of these and inject them into everyone? A couple of days?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you!

Apr 28, 2020, 8:46 PM

This is always the first question that should be asked.

We all need to let it sink in that next year is the soonest possible a vaccine will be available for mass distribution. This is reality.

Re: Thank you!

May 1, 2020, 1:59 PM

turns out they are mass producing them now anyway, just in case it gets the green light.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

If the vaccine is available in September, I wonder if Trump will make the states bid against each other to acquire it as he did with medical supplies?

Apr 28, 2020, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

Most of us will have anti-bodies by then. This is for the few percent that are at risk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 29, 2020, 12:19 AM

I doubt it. Only 1 million known cases in a country of 330 million. Not enough for herd immunity.

We've only tested a little over 1% because we started so late. Per-Capita 30 other countries have tested more than us.

Today they upped the death projection for the U.S. to 74,000, up from 60,000 last week.

There would be a hole different perspective if the virus epicenter was in NC and SC rather than NY and NJ.

Apr 29, 2020, 6:54 AM

"They" say we need 60% of our country to contract it eventually to have herd immunity.

Apr 29, 2020, 7:09 AM

Carlsbad®

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 6:54 AM

"They" say we need 60% of our country to contract it eventually to have herd immunity.

how can we contract it while all you sheep are holed up in moms basement.

Apr 29, 2020, 8:24 AM

Mom's basement? You really are a clown. You know that though, so does just about everyone on here. You deserve to be banned. Honest questions. Have you ever had a happy day in your entire life? If you had in the past, when did you give up on life and happiness and become bitter?

Apr 29, 2020, 8:30 AM

User Logo
Carlsbad®
Ring of Honor [31125]
TigerPulse: 100%
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 8:24 AM

Mom's basement? You really are a clown. You know that though, so does just about everyone on here. You deserve to be banned. Honest questions. Have you ever had a happy day in your entire life? If you had in the past, when did you give up on life and happiness and become bitter?

not bitter at all. just very sad what our country has become. heard a stat yesterday that 25% OF AMERICANS SAY THEY WILL NEVER AGAIN ATTEND A LIVE SPORTING EVENT IN THEIR LIFETIME. 25%. ARE THERE REALLY THAT MANY SHEEP IN OUR COUNTRY. IF GIVING UP ON LIFE MEANS GETTING UP EVERY DAY AND COMING TO WORK AND PLAYING A LOT OF GOLF ON THE WEEKENDS AND HANGING AROUND MY BUDDIES AFTERWARD, AT THE PROPER DISTANCE OF COURSE, THEN YEP I HAVE GIVEN UP.

Apr 29, 2020, 9:04 AM

Nah...you have no friends. That's evident. You're a bitter miserable man. Nobody wants to be around that. Anyway, I hope you find happiness in your life. The world isn't that awful as you view it. It's actually a nice life. Good luck to you. I hope you solve your mental problems.

Apr 29, 2020, 9:06 AM

User Logo
Carlsbad®
Ring of Honor [31129]
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 9:04 AM

Nah...you have no friends. That's evident. You're a bitter miserable man. Nobody wants to be around that. Anyway, I hope you find happiness in your life. The world isn't that awful as you view it. It's actually a nice life. Good luck to you. I hope you solve your mental problems.

THANKS SNOWFLAKE. ENJOY THE NEXT 5 YEARS OF A GREAT REBOUND AND THEN WE CAN ELECT OUR 1ST WOMAN PRESIDENT.

Apr 29, 2020, 9:16 AM

Hope that happens. That would be great. I dont care who wins. Anyway, good luck with your mental issues. Have a good day. Hang in there.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

Ah yes, another example of the person having the emotional outburst being the one to call someone else a snowflake.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:22 AM

He’s typing the truth. Deroberts is a miserable old bag. He never celebrates Clemson victories, he only bashes Clemson fans after victories and losses for that matter.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

25% sounds really low. 75% of the country didn't attend live sporting events before all this. I'd guess 40% will never attend another live sporting event.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:39 AM

sorry didnt mean live "sporting" event. meant "any" live event. concerts, movies etc.

I'd put concerts in that same category

Apr 29, 2020, 12:15 PM

A large number of people don't go to any large events, especially as they get older. For the church-goers, church is probably the only time they are around more than a dozen people.

I only have two postponed (so far) events, I'd be pissed if I had football or hockey season tickets.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

I agree. That's why it's hard to take a survey like this seriously. For starters, how many people were in the survey? Was it 100? 1,000? 10,000?

As you eluded to, how many of those people attended large events in the first place? Odds are that a large portion of those who said they wouldn't attend anymore events either never went to any to begin with, or at least went rarely.

It also doesn't factor in the current emotions of people. Someone could easily be caught up in the moment right now and think they wouldn't go to another sporting event, but may no longer feel that way a year from now.

I would expect that if football is played as normal this fall with fans in the stands that we'll probably see smaller crowds than usual due to a concern over a 2nd outbreak in the fall. However, I'd feel very confident that the crowds will be back to normal for the 2021 season assuming there's a vaccine.

Apr 29, 2020, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

This is hilarious coming from you!

1 million known cases means 8-10 million actual cases!!***

Apr 29, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

Most of us will have anti-bodies by then. This is for the few percent that are at risk.

Hey Brandy - 35% of the US is over 50 and 16% is over 65. Do those sound like small percentages?

Apr 29, 2020, 6:12 PM

???
Are you talking to me?

I reject your ridiculous premise that merely being over 50, or even over 65, is a death sentence (you must really hate math and science) - but in answer to your silly query, yes.

Those numbers are much smaller than the proposed 350 million doses that my post was addressing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 30, 2020, 12:56 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

Apr 30, 2020, 1:13 AM

Boy you’ve got that right, AOC. In spades.

Making Dosages

Apr 29, 2020, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Oxford researcher claims they expect to have vaccine ]

I saw the interview with the Head of research of this vaccine ...he stated that they scaling production now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 8:52 PM

Nonsense. It will a very long time to test and a very long time to produce.

Here you go Catfan, it looks promising

Apr 28, 2020, 10:13 PM

"Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html

Did monkeys get Covid?

Apr 29, 2020, 6:13 AM

If not, then why test on them? Maybe they are already immune?

If the monkeys did get Covid...how?

PETA should be concerned....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did monkeys get Covid?

Apr 29, 2020, 8:32 AM

Just what you would expect from the liberals at Oxford. Worried about monkey health during a human pandemic.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really should read the article before commenting.

Apr 29, 2020, 12:21 PM

Re: Really should read the article before commenting.

Apr 29, 2020, 3:31 PM

Are you a doctor? ClemTig® is, so I do value his input. Oh...and I read the article...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd probably listen if he read the article

Apr 29, 2020, 5:01 PM

He obviously didn't

Re: I'd probably listen if he read the article

Apr 29, 2020, 6:26 PM

Dude, I was joking. Come on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, I realized that on my drive for takeout

Apr 29, 2020, 6:42 PM

but you never know with the people here

Re: Did monkeys get Covid?

Apr 29, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Did monkeys get Covid? ]

Are you guys reading about what's actually going on or just commenting? The answers to all these questions are just a click away.

Re: Here you go Catfan, it looks promising

Apr 29, 2020, 7:11 AM [ in reply to Here you go Catfan, it looks promising ]

Felix2®
All-TigerNet [13224]
Here you go Catfan, it looks promising [1]
Posted: Apr 28, 2020 10:13 PM

"Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead
As scientists at the Jenner Institute prepare for mass clinical trials, new tests show their vaccine to be effective in monkeys.

is it effective in sheep because it seems our country sadly has a lot of them

Unfortunately, Harmless does not equal Effective***

Apr 29, 2020, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Here you go Catfan, it looks promising ]

Re: Unfortunately, Harmless does not equal Effective***

Apr 29, 2020, 1:34 PM

I'm not sure how true, but a few weeks back I read something from a person who works on vaccines. He went into a little detail about why it takes so long to come up with one. He said they could probably get a vaccine out for a virus like this in less than a month, but a lot of testing has to be done. He said the biggest concern can be that a vaccine can have the potential of making a person allergic to the virus it's meant to cure. If that were to occur with a person who then caught C19 it would drastically increase their odds of dying from the disease.

Re: Here you go Catfan, it looks promising

Apr 29, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Here you go Catfan, it looks promising ]

you can tell from this man's haircut that he knows what he's doing. he's saving a ton of money on haircuts.

Apr 29, 2020, 6:52 AM

If they had it by September that doesnt seem like it would help to have a football season. How long would it take to have 100's' of millions of doses or whatever they call it?

Apr 29, 2020, 1:23 PM

Another concern is that the players would need time to have team workouts, and practice. I'm not sure how long they'd need, but I'd assume that would be at least a month or so, right? It's not as if they can sit around doing nothing all this time, and then get the ok to play football in the middle of September, and then be ready to play a game that weekend. I realize they can do things to keep themselves in shape during this time, but there's no way that's the same as having structured workouts and diet programs.

Good overview of the Oxford vaccine ...

Apr 29, 2020, 9:16 AM

https://www.businessinsider.com/monkeys-given-new-oxford-vaccine-coronavirus-free-strong-exposure-encouraging-2020-4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good overview of the Oxford vaccine ...

Apr 29, 2020, 2:52 PM

LOL! Shows a monkey who apparently tuned into a Trump press conference, and appears to be drinking a covid killing bottle of dish detergent.

PROBLEM

May 1, 2020, 1:53 PM

How long will it take to prove effectiveness for humans over any time?

Trials for this should take 6-12 months.

May 1, 2020, 5:17 PM

And then there's educated idiots like this;

https://www.lacortenews.com/n/british-professor-i-dont-want-oxfords-vaccine-to-succeed-too-much-patriotism-and-white-men

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic