Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1989 (7)Clemson- 27 Virginia Tech- 7
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1989 (7)Clemson- 27 Virginia Tech- 7

Sep 16, 2020, 11:53 AM

09/16/1989
Blacksburg, VA

CLEMSON ROLLS OVER VIRGINIA TECH 27-7

Dave Johnson
Staff- Daily Press

Virginia Tech could have stolen Clemson's playbook and studied it all week. It wouldn't have helped much.

The seventh-ranked Tigers strayed from their run-it-down-their-throats offense only once and defeated the Hokies 27-7 Saturday night at Lane Stadium. Tailback Terry Allen rushed for one touchdown and threw for another as Clemson beat Tech for the 12th time in 13 games.

Tech's only bright moment came on a 90-yard kickoff return by sophomore Marcus Mickel, a Denbigh graduate, late in the third quarter.

That run came in the middle of a bizarre 32-second span that included three touchdowns and a recovered onside kick. Allen started the spree with 34 seconds remaining in the third period with a 66-yard touchdown pass to Gary Cooper to give Clemson a 20-0 lead.

Then came Mickel, who juked kicker Jon Kubu at the Tech 40 and ran down the sideline for the Hokies' only touchdown. "It was one-on-one, me with the kicker," Mickel said. "I guess I wanted it more than he did."

Scott Freund's ensuing kickoff went 10 yards - exactly. As it slowly rolled upfield, Tech players formed a fortress around the ball. The Tigers, curiously, didn't attack and Tech linebacker Darwin Herdman recovered.

The Hokies, however, wasted the chance. As Will Furrer rolled right, his pass to tailback Vaughn Hebron was tipped by defensive tackle Otis Moore. Levon Kirkland intercepted the deflected pass at the Tech 47 and returned it for a touchdown, giving the Tigers a 27-7 lead.

"Maybe we ran that play one time too many," Tech Coach Frank Beamer said about his team's third of five turnovers.

Tech's second mistake set up Clemson's first touchdown. On second-and-two at the Hokie 24, normally reliable fullback Rich Fox fumbled the handoff from Furrer and Tiger lineman Wayne Simmons recovered. Three plays later, Clemson faced a fourth-and-inches at the Tech 16.

On the option, Allen took a pitch from quarterback Chris Morocco and scored easily, giving the Tigers a 7-0 lead with 1:55 remaining in the first quarter. The Hokies, expecting a run up the middle, poorly defended the play. Allen's only obstacle was a fallen referee, whom the tailback hurdled on his way to the end zone.

On the following possession, Tech moved to the 30, but a 47-yard field goal attempt by Mickey Thomas was short. A critical mistake by split end Myron Richardson two plays earlier cost the Hokies.

Fox caught a 7-yard pass from Furrer to set up a third-and-three at the 17, but Richardson was whistled for a dead-ball personal foul penalty. The line of scrimmage was moved back to the 33, where the Hokies faced a third-and-19.

"I think it was a bad call," Richardson said. "I just pushed him. I wasn't trying to hurt him."

Clemson followed with its only sustained drive of the half, moving to the Hokie 24 before kicker Chris Gardocki was good from 40 yards to make it 10-0 with 9:05 remaining in the second quarter.

For Beamer, the sceen was familiar. He spent the entire 1988 season watching his team work against itself.

"Clemson is tough enough to move on," Beamer said. "When you stop yourself penalty-wise or with fumbles, you're playing two people, Clemson and yourself. There was a lot of that tonight.

"We kept turning it over, and you can't do that against a great team like Clemson and expect to win. We could have been right in the ball game all night if we hadn't made so many mistakes."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I was there, but I don't remember it looking so fuzzy***

Sep 16, 2020, 12:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there, but I don't remember it looking so fuzzy***

Sep 16, 2020, 2:09 PM

I still have an old VHS tape of that game, and the original telecast was fuzzy. The game was not shown live. Some odd ball network taped the game, and it was shown in the Charlotte area about 1 AM the next morning. I remember staying up to watch and tape the game.

Re: On This Date: 1989 (7)Clemson- 27 Virginia Tech- 7

Sep 16, 2020, 12:38 PM

I was there! I was a Freshman and we took a road trip up there to see the game!

Re: On This Date: 1989 (7)Clemson- 27 Virginia Tech- 7

Sep 16, 2020, 2:18 PM

Nice Post!

According to what I'm seeing, we have never lost on 9/16. Around the 1960s and earlier we didn't start football until late September.

9/16/2017 @ *Louisville (8-5) W 47 21
9/16/2006 @ *Florida State (7-6) W 27 20
9/16/2000 vs. *Wake Forest (2-9) W 55 7
9/16/1995 @ *Wake Forest (1-10) W 29 14
9/16/1989 @ Virginia Tech (6-4-1) W 27 7
9/16/1978 vs. Citadel (5-6) W 58 3

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic