Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP..

Sep 23, 2018, 7:03 AM

I am one of those people that believes that CFP is not always looking for the "Best 4 teams". I truly believe that there is consideration for TV markets which equate to money.

The SEC is going to get 2 teams in the playoffs. Punch that ticket. The SEC love-fest in the media is sickening and that means Clemson will be competing for 2 remaining slots.

If Ohio State or Penn State Runs the table, one of those programs are in.

If Oklahoma or WVU run the table, one of those programs are in...

The PAC 12 was on the ropes in the perception of the nation until the ACC laid an egg this week..

Here's where it get's dodgy:

Notre Dame is a national TV draw. An undefeated Notre Dame I feel would jump over Clemson because they have better games on their resume even though they don't get a championship game.

Should Stanford beat Notre Dame next Week, I think the CFP would put a PAC 12 teams to have all parts of the Nation represented in the playoffs to maximize the TV draw.

Having 3 teams in the South in the playoffs this year I don't think will happen.

I am a bit of a conspiracy person with this kind of stuff and I thing the CFP will ultimately do what the networks tell them to do if the decision is close...We have examples such as OSU jumping TCU or a non-conference champ in Alabama getting in over the SEC champ Auburn.

We just win and beat the living crap out of everyone we play!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP..

Sep 23, 2018, 7:18 AM

An undefeated Clemson will be in over SEC championship game loser.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^This^

Sep 23, 2018, 7:22 AM

Our team has yet to reach its ceiling with TL. No way am undefeated Clemson team does not make the playoff. The committee has been good to us in spite of what the media or anyone else may have wanted because they’re a lot more realistic than a bunch of fans and media that have a biased agenda.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP.. ]

I'm not sure about that if the runner-up has wins against a top 10 LSU and Auburn.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 23, 2018, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP.. ]

Most definitely.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:21 AM

The only team that keeps us out is Clemson.
We lose a game vs this schedule as talented as we are. The Tigers don’t deserve to be in the CFP.
Go 13-0 we are in , there will not be 5 13-0 teams .
Bottom line

If Notre Dame Runs The Table We are in Trouble***

Sep 23, 2018, 7:24 AM

Re: If Notre Dame Runs The Table We are in Trouble***

Sep 23, 2018, 7:30 AM

We will worry about that it that time gets here. Just win and we are in.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:32 AM [ in reply to If Notre Dame Runs The Table We are in Trouble*** ]

No a one loss SEC team is trouble

Sep 23, 2018, 7:34 AM [ in reply to If Notre Dame Runs The Table We are in Trouble*** ]

If Clemson runs the table there’s no question they make the CFP. Period

Sep 23, 2018, 8:09 AM [ in reply to If Notre Dame Runs The Table We are in Trouble*** ]

If Clemson and ND are both undefeated at the end of the season, they will suffer the fate of the Big 12 in 2014. We will win the ACCCG while they sit idle.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:30 AM

No way does the CFP selection take 2 teams from one conference, an independent, and leaves out 3 conference champions.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:36 AM

If you believe money and TV markets don't matter then I would agree completely.....I don't. Notre Dame isn't just an "independent"....It's Notre Dame with perhaps the largest national fan base in the nation. a 12-0 Notre Dame will have better wins on their resume and as I said...they would represent HUGE $$$$$ for the networks.

I truly hope you are right because a 13-0 Clemson should go...

Let's just say I'll be happier if Stanford puts them down next week.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:42 AM

I hope ND is good enough to make it to the CFP. But, gets left out because no conference championship or that extra game.

Then, just maybe the ND football program will join the ACC. Who knows, just win and we are in. One slip with this schedule, things get a lil murky.

Go Tigers and beat Oranges!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP.. ]

Oh, and did I mention TL is a dude. That is all!

Message was edited by: RaceCityTiger1977®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame Could Keep Us Out of the CFP.. ]

Money may be a factor, but that would be a bigger concern if ESPN was making the selection. Most of the selection committee has conference affiliations and leaving out 3 conference champions would be very short sighted.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:59 AM

Its only week 4, man. You lost me at “2 sec teams. Punch that ticket”. Couldn’t be further from the truth

0.0% chance

Sep 23, 2018, 7:59 AM

We’re left out sitting at 13-0. If there are 4-5 undefeated teams, UGA/Bama loser isn’t getting in.

Re: 0.0% chance

Sep 23, 2018, 8:48 AM

I am sure the '04 Auburn fans felt the same way

They could have rested easy if there had been a playoff.***

Sep 23, 2018, 9:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

They were #3 going into the championship

Sep 23, 2018, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: 0.0% chance ]

Which by my math would have put them in the 4 team playoff which is what this whole debate is about. Nice try, d!ckhead

It's too early in the season

Sep 23, 2018, 8:01 AM

Need to see more from all of teams with a chance

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 23, 2018, 8:05 AM

It’s also more likely there are no undefeated teams than anything. It’s pretty likely all of the top teams drop one unexpected one somewhere

Sep 23, 2018, 8:06 AM

"The SEC is going to get 2 teams in the playoffs. Punch that ticket. "

I agree with most of what you said, but this assumption is very possibly a false assumption. Here's why:
UK is looking stronger than I even thought possible
UGA is not all that great and has to play UK at UK, and AU at UGA, and could lose one of those games.
Bama is in, especially since MSU lost to UK, and AU lost to LSU, and LSU really is not all that good.
The other SEC teams are not special at all, and would not get in over CLEMSON

Bama (or whomever can beat Bama in the SECCG) will be the ONLY SEC team to make it to the CFP.

We're good. We just need to win out and not stumble even once. :)

I want to be clear of what I am suggesting..

Sep 23, 2018, 8:18 AM

First, an undefeated Clemson should be in the CFP with no questions asked....

I just think that TV revenue plays a factor in the process and it shouldn't at all.

In fact, I will add that because the Championship game is in California hurts picking more than one team out of the south.

Again, a team like Notre Dame will have huge fans attending games and will have a huge Draw.

A west-coast team like Stanford would be a huge opportunity if they got into the playoffs...

I realize that I have done the horrible disservice of saying something that could be not in Clemson's favor....Hubris has always been our weakness.

I think we need to win ever game as convincing as possible if the opportunity presents itself.

If you do think I am right, then why did Dabo send Lawrence out at the then of the GT game to get some style points? When was the last time Dabo ever did that? I can't remember when Dabo ran the score up...He Knows what I am talking about.

Re: I want to be clear of what I am suggesting..

Sep 23, 2018, 8:25 AM

Let Notre Dame go to the NIT or something.

Re: I want to be clear of what I am suggesting..

Sep 23, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to I want to be clear of what I am suggesting.. ]

It is just a guess on my part,but I think TL went back into the game since CB has thrown an INT on his previous play. If CB had not been INT'd, then I'm pretty sure CB would have seen the field at least once more. Maybe Dabo just wanted to see just a little more of TL to be convinced on any decision he needs to make regarding the starter for this week. But, that's JMO.

All that said - you could still be right. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here (I probably should have stated that earlier).

Re: TL back in the game

Sep 23, 2018, 9:06 AM

CB got benched for forcing the ball into coverage and getting picked. Same thing he did 3x in spring game.

Nothing more, nothing less. Dabo was not running up the score or earning style points.

Dabo didnt send TL out late for style points..

Sep 23, 2018, 7:31 PM [ in reply to I want to be clear of what I am suggesting.. ]

Go listen to TL's postgame interview.

"TV revenue" is a non-factor to the playoff committee. Reagradless, the same amount of people watch the playoffs regardless. Clemson has been one of the highest draws the last couple/few years.

We go unfefeated including a champ game, and we're in.

Sep 23, 2018, 8:29 AM

We are four games into the season...why worry about things that haven’t even happened or you can’t control? Just relax and enjoy the season...whatever it brings.

Sep 23, 2018, 8:36 AM

No way the SEC gets two teams again any time soon . They got away with it because the Pac 12 was bad .

After What I Saw Last Year With The SEC

Sep 23, 2018, 8:52 AM

When Alabama beat by Auburn and doesn't even make it to the SEC Championship yet got a bid to the CFP you will never convince me that the SEC will always get the benefit of the doubt. Also, this year the league is looking really strong and there is going to be a better argument this year than last year.

As for PAC 12 being down, the ACC is making them look pretty good right now.

All we can do is just win bigly..

Sep 23, 2018, 9:25 AM

Good one. No way in hades an undefeated Clemson gets left out, period. With our 3 year history of the past CFPs and this team, with all that D that came back/two capable QBs. Even the talking heads have been saying they can't help the schedule. Besides, I have one other word for you; Stanford.

It is the committee and the 4 best teams.

I think you are overrating the SEC.

Sep 23, 2018, 9:32 AM

Alabama and Georgia look great now, but it is only week four. At least one of those teams will have a loss after the SEC Championship game. The team that loses that game won’t get in over an undefeated conference champion, and they could very well not get in over a one loss conference champion either. That SEC championship game loser is the one that needs to worry about Notre Dame, not Clemson.

An undefeated Clemson absolutely gets in the CFP this year. A one loss Clemson could very well get in as well, depending on what else happens. Some of these “unbeatable” teams will stumble along the way, and the crazy scenarios that the talking heads mention at this stage are highly unlikely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 23, 2018, 9:37 AM

Look At ND schedule and yep; they could unfortunately. They have already beaten meat-chicken(Michigan). They have Stanford left who is currently ranked.
VT - won't be
Pitt-no
Navy-no
Northwestern-no
Syracuse - maybe
USC - maybe
Fla. State - no

They only beat (WHO) Ball State 24-16 Beat Vandy @ home in a struggle 22-17 Beat meat-chicken 24-17.

**They aren't as good as advertised either! But, will likely have played more ranked teams!

Go Tigers! We have to put the hammer down unfortunately! Win and win convincingly!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 10:07 AM

If we lose once with how pathetic the ACC is I fear the outcome

Have fun in the Dump Bowl

Sep 23, 2018, 7:40 PM

If youre team is able to win enough games to make one.

WRONGO......An Undefeated Clemson Goes Ahead of ND

Sep 23, 2018, 8:02 PM

100/100 Times....Stop the Crazy Talk. Point is Moot anyhow, ND will choke 1-2 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An Undefeated Clemson Goes Ahead of ND

Sep 23, 2018, 8:53 PM

Possible, since ND is a media darling and seen as a ACC substitute. The media also wants 2 SEC teams in, but some of them could cancel each other out. We may get some help from Miami if they run the table and come into the ACCCG ranked good. If VT rebounds and beats ND, that will help too. A lot of football yet to be played.

Sep 23, 2018, 9:08 PM

Sorry folks, Clemson is a three time straight playoff participant and winner in the best championship game in history. Only one other team can say that but they essentially already have a spot. If Clemson wins out, and does not get in the the playoffs, it needs to be burned down. If Clemson loses a game, I have to admit that we may bt deserve a spot, depending on a number of factors, but it is unlikely we'd deserve it over certain other conferences' one loss teams. We've got it in front of us.

Sep 23, 2018, 9:13 PM

Do y’all just sit and find things to worry about

Sep 23, 2018, 9:30 PM

how about we just worry about beating Syracuse for now?

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic