Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Paul Johnson longs for the days of beating Dabo "left and right" on recruiting trail
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

New Story: Paul Johnson longs for the days of beating Dabo "left and right" on recruiting trail

Mar 28, 2018, 3:10 PM

Paul Johnson longs for the days of beating Dabo "left and right" on recruiting trail

Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson received a two-year contract extension recently that will keep him in Atlanta through the 2022 season. For Clemson fans that once wondered if the Tigers would ever get over the Georgia Tech hurdle, the extension might be welcome news. Photo by Jason Getz / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A little early for April Fools?

Mar 28, 2018, 3:14 PM

Good one Paul

lol

Mar 28, 2018, 3:17 PM

Daba don't recruit no nerds

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: lol

Mar 28, 2018, 8:14 PM

And Dabo don't recruit no t--ds.

No Paul is correct...

Mar 28, 2018, 3:19 PM

He's a terror on the recruiting trail and we really have to respect him...

Heck, they should have extended his contract for 8 years...not 2.

KEEP PAUL!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet he misses a lot of things like being able to run an offense against Clemson.***

Mar 28, 2018, 3:20 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet he misses a lot of things like being able to run an offense against Clemson.***

Mar 28, 2018, 3:20 PM

Re: I bet he misses a lot of things like being able to run an offense against Clemson.***

Mar 28, 2018, 3:26 PM

Actually I think they are friends possibly. Both know the difference in the money and facilities each school has im sure. Clemson had done very well and Tech generally not too bad considering. Silly how fans react to things like this.

Re: I bet he misses a lot of things like being able to run an offense against Clemson.***

Mar 28, 2018, 5:22 PM

They are friends but he has never beaten Dabo in recruiting. Like the article said I can’t ever remember losing any head to head battles with GT for any major recruits since PJ has been there. I don’t know what’s hard to understand about the way people are reacting to such a statement. It’s true. Fans will be well, fans and as such we will say some things to get a laugh or a reaction when we talk about a rival.

Such silly fans. So Silly Silly.***

Mar 28, 2018, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I bet he misses a lot of things like being able to run an offense against Clemson.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Maybe the Easter Bunny will

Mar 28, 2018, 3:21 PM

leave him a personality in his pink basket.

Putting aside that ridiculous comment, CPJ acts like it's

Mar 28, 2018, 3:33 PM

unfair that Dabo has a huge budget supporting him and his staff. It didn't start out that way. Dabo put his own money into assistants, then scratched and clawed for everything he has now. He personally cultivated relationships and turned them into large donors to build facilities. But he used personality and charisma to get that done. He was relentless and never wavered. And when something was wrong with the program, he fixed it.

Dabo was the coach at Clemson before the money started flowing, not the other way around. CPJ is using a bad example in Dabo, because all that comparison does is point to Paul's deficiencies, like a lack of personality, stubbornness and being a fartsmeller.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Putting aside that ridiculous comment, CPJ acts like it's

Mar 28, 2018, 3:36 PM

Ha. Clemson had money with Bowden but didn’t use it. I agree Dabo has done a very good job with finally getting them to use it. ButTech like several acc schools will never have that kind of financial support. Only idiots would believe they do.

That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of

Mar 28, 2018, 3:43 PM

25,000+ and it's in the middle of Atlanta. With the right guy in charge there's no reason why they couldn't get enough support to compete at a higher level than they do now.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Not only do they have more graduates, they earn more

Mar 28, 2018, 3:51 PM

Georgia Tech alumni are among the top earning graduates of public schools (right there with Cal-Berkeley in the top 10). There's absolutely no reason why a charismatic, visionary leader couldn't raise more money for their athletic department.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinesimon/2017/08/02/25-top-public-colleges-with-the-highest-earning-graduates/#c04831e23e0c

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

To be fair, many of their alumni return to their homelands

Mar 28, 2018, 4:08 PM

overseas and don't really care to give to Ga Tech (academically) and particularly do not care about American football.

;)

Tech Grads

Mar 28, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Not only do they have more graduates, they earn more ]

I have 2 clients that are technology executives at companies here in Georgia that are Tech grads. I was in the office of one of them last year the week before the GT Clemson game. I said something like "How do you like Tech's chances versus Clemson this week?" His response was "I couldn't care less. I only care that they continue to produce quality engineers."

The other Tech grad feels the same way. They're just not emotionally invested in sports, generally, and Tech Football, specifically.

Now, I have some friends that are Tech alums and fans of Tech sports. So, they're not all like that. My point is that while they have a lot of alums with significant income, many of those alums don't care about sports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tech Grads

Mar 28, 2018, 6:36 PM

Many of Clemson's numerous tech alumni don't care about sports either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of

Mar 28, 2018, 4:18 PM [ in reply to That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of ]

Ok. Sure buddy. We can both choose to believe our own opinion. Most acc schools don’t have a passionate fan base like clemson has had for many years. Nor the money those fans want to put in it. This isn’t about alumni and their income status. I never knocked Dabo. Tech has things holding it back beyond the head coaches control. But u have a good day.

1) I never said GT could have the budget Clemson has

Mar 28, 2018, 4:50 PM

2) I never even came close to implying that you were knocking Dabo

Let me type slower for you and maybe you'll understand...

Paul Johnson has no one to blame but himself. Yes, XCTB got the call rolling and created opportunities for investment, but Dabo took over and created a machine. He personally closed some big deals to build the facilities he has by selling his vision. Can Paul Johnson do that? Doubtful. There are big time GT alums leading fortune 500 companies within miles of GT's stadium. There are fortune 100 and fortune 50 companies all throughout that city. With someone as personable as Dabo leading the GT program, do you really think they wouldn't be able to bring in enough money to compete in the ACC and nationally? He's using Dabo as an excuse, and it is unfounded.

Mar 28, 2018, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of ]

Lol, this outta be good...

Buddy? Don't be buddy with these silly idiots. What's wrong with you?

Mar 28, 2018, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of ]

We're way better than that. Indubitably. Way better than that.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 28, 2018, 4:32 PM [ in reply to That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of ]

He should probably realize he's running an offense that many kids (4-5 stars) don't really want to be a part of. Not sure how many people GT has put in the NFL - yes I know Calvin Johnson & D. Thomas are two - but I think a lot of it starts with that.

Mar 28, 2018, 8:21 PM

I agree. What high school qb would choose Tech over Clemson? Maybe one that can't complete a pass beyond 15 yards. And what wide outs would want to go to Tech? The ones that are not very fast, or big. But Paul does get good blockers.

GT actually has some legit excuses...

Mar 28, 2018, 10:18 PM [ in reply to That's an excuse. GT has an enrollment of ]

Their students are not apt to watch football and get really passionate about it. A different type of kid goes to GT than Clemson.

Re: Putting aside that ridiculous comment, CPJ acts like it's

Mar 28, 2018, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Putting aside that ridiculous comment, CPJ acts like it's ]

Orpride said:

Ha. Clemson had money with Bowden but didn’t use it. I agree Dabo has done a very good job with finally getting them to use it. ButTech like several acc schools will never have that kind of financial support. Only idiots would believe they do.

I sort of agree with this statement. We can't forget what Bowden did for the program. He just couldn't get over the "hump" and play for an ACC Championship. I'll always be grateful for what TB did for Clemson. He got the snowball to the top of the hill, Dabo took over (didn't TB recommend him?) and got the snowball rolling and man has it gotten bigger. I do think TB could have had better ideas of what to do with the money Clemson did have. Dabo had a vision, made a promise, and has delivered.

The original post(er) summed it up best - regrading Dabo.

Idiots. I know, right?***

Mar 28, 2018, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Putting aside that ridiculous comment, CPJ acts like it's ]

Exactly***

Mar 28, 2018, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Putting aside that ridiculous comment, CPJ acts like it's ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Paul Johnson longs for the days of beating Dabo "left and right" on recruiting trail

Mar 28, 2018, 3:41 PM

Does the NCAA drug test coaches?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Chan Gailey left him the players he beat Dabo with.

Mar 28, 2018, 3:43 PM

He hasn’t been able to recruit anyone nearly as good since those guys left.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Mac McWhorter was the recruiter who beat us for talent

Mar 28, 2018, 4:28 PM

when he was at GT.

Big mistake by Tommy Bowden not retaining him when he took over.

i agree!! Mac and his wife were hurt over TB's

Mar 28, 2018, 4:56 PM

Decision st the time. I remember when she used to even get in Tigernet chat and talk with some of us. I do want the poster above who said we didn't spend money when TB was here to know that just isn't really factual. TB chose his first improvements to be in and on Death Valley renovations.

Tommy Bowden's dream was the "West End Zone" project ...

Mar 28, 2018, 5:07 PM

... and it helped.

Dabo had a larger vision.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i agree!! Mac and his wife were hurt over TB's

Mar 29, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to i agree!! Mac and his wife were hurt over TB's ]

Yeah, like taking out the crown of the field.

Smh @ paul

Mar 28, 2018, 3:59 PM

This reads like a headline from The Onion

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

And I long for the days when I dated Erin Andrews

Mar 28, 2018, 4:09 PM

Wait, those days never existed either

Last time GA Tech beat Clemson in recruiting was 2007

Mar 28, 2018, 4:20 PM

and that was only in one service. Ironically, that was the year before Paul Johnson started. The facilities and the coaching salaries followed the winning (and the out recruiting done by Dabo and his staff).

Turd!

Mar 28, 2018, 4:24 PM

He is such a turd and full of excuses.

Johnson runs an antiquated offense. Without

Mar 28, 2018, 4:44 PM

The best backs at least in the state - who have obviously been going to Georgia - he is not going to be successful unless he throws the football and adds balance. But I'm glad he doesn't. Like my high school coach used to say, if you're going to run the true triple option you better be good at slight of hand!

Clemson's supposed to feel sorry for GaTech

Mar 28, 2018, 5:05 PM

because of Tech's money issues???

After Clemson had beaten the snot out of a favored GaTech team 73-0 IN 1903, Tech turned around and hired away Clemson's legendary coach John Heisman for the sum of $50 more per month
GaTech REFUSED to play Clemson at home for decades supposedly because GaTech's larger stadium would provide a big payout even though the Tiger football program was ready to offer the same payout to GaTech. Needless to say, having home field advantage year after year after year has provided GaTech with a sizeable lead in the number of victories. For decades, every year, Clemson fans made the trip to Atlanta, stayed in Atlanta hotels and ate in Atlanta restaurants......... A couple of years before GaTech joined the ACC and had to schedule Clemson on a home and home basis, Clemson advised GaTech that unless the YELLOWjackets agreed to play in Death Valley on a regular basis, the long-running rivalry would cease, and, of course, GaTech declined to commit to playing in Clemson under any circumstances. Since that time when Tech joined the conference and now HAS to play in Clemson every other year, the record between the two schools is approximately even although certainly it seems to be swinging Clemson's way in recent years.

Perhaps if Johnson practiced less dangerous blocking schemes, people would feel sorry for him.

As it is, GaTech's attitude towards playing Clemson forever has been about the money. Eff'em if the wheel has finally turned against the jackets and Johnson

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As if that has EVER happened...

Mar 28, 2018, 5:06 PM

Bless his heart !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: New Story: Paul Johnson longs for the days of beating Dabo "left and right" on recruiting trail

Mar 28, 2018, 5:08 PM

Ha. Nice one Pawl. You had been at GT for a year when Dabo took over. You beat us out for like maybe 3 players tops. There was one offensive linemen and would have taken a RB after CJ left but that is it. The problem is not facilities. It is your OFFENSE for crying out loud. Geez

Mar 28, 2018, 6:20 PM

Another note is that; GT had the "W" (win) in the ACC Championship vacated by the NCAA.

Pawl meant to say: "I long for the days of Kevin Steele."***

Mar 28, 2018, 5:11 PM

Mar 28, 2018, 5:22 PM

So Tigernet trolls Pawwwwl...Har,Har...and GEORGIA TECH's FOOTBALL PROGRAM cleared about as much dinero as I did when i was a working man....KISS MY LINEMAN's BUT...Too much...and the dood gets an extension and a raise...SHEESH...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2018, 8:27 PM

Which, among other things, is proof positive that they really are not going to be any kind of threat for a while. Long live coach Paulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Johnson!

Paul is right. GT needs to decide if it wants to compete or not.

Mar 28, 2018, 6:42 PM

Georgia Tech recruits the same prospects everyone else does, but those guys aren’t interested because GT’s facilities are outdated for the most part and GT hasn’t been relevant in football for a while.

Some people incorrectly believe that GT has tougher admission requirements, but they don’t. They have fewer majors, but still several majors that most recruits will find acceptable.

GT just needs to decide if it wants to compete for championships or is content being mediocre.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

If I were a RB, I would MAY want to play there

Mar 28, 2018, 6:47 PM

but there is no way he is going to get quality QB's, WR's, TE's, or OL with that offense. QB's do not throw, WR's/TE's do not get targeted, and all the OL do is dive at the knees of the DL. None of those are appealing qualities at the next level.

GT living up to their name. The ARE a Ramblin' Wreck

Mar 28, 2018, 7:10 PM

Go Tigers! Wreck Tech!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2018, 8:06 PM

BJ I mean PJ just knows he is ending his career with a 6-7 game losing streak to Dabo.
Just making excuses that’s all

Mar 28, 2018, 8:16 PM

Won the championship on a ghost holding call.... Ron cherry crew

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

How many top wide receivers are you going to recruit Paul?

Mar 28, 2018, 9:45 PM

And how many RBs who see the future as a pass catching back out of the back field? And do you think your personality just makes the kids want to come play for you at GT ? I think Paul's time might have passed him by.

Pawwwl, Dabo didn’t b!tch about facilities, or salaries for

Mar 28, 2018, 10:16 PM

assistants, Dabo changed the culture and the facilities and assistant coaching salaries followed his lead. Keep blaming Ga Tech fans or administration because you can’t generate enthusiam or interest in the rambling wrecked

There isn't a more arrogant coach in college football.

Mar 29, 2018, 1:09 AM

Than old Paaawwwl. And GT is clueless to keep him. But that's great news for us. Every night, Paaawwwl checks under his bed for Brent Venables.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Mar 29, 2018, 6:51 AM

Of course money is a huge issue. Dabo makes more than the entire Georgia Tech coaching staff. True fact. Facilities? No comparison. But if you want to pinpoint the most pressing reason we recruit so much better -- and Swinney is no question a good one -- look at our course offerings. Then look at GT. Tech is an engineering school. Clemson is a liberal arts university with an engineering component. If you are a Tech fan then one must accept the reality that not many football players give a hoot about calculus, physics or building a bridge. Johnson can get as big of a budget as he wants, pay coaches, have the facilities, and the stark truth facing him is hardly any players want to be engineers. Dabo as good as he is would hit the road after about 45 minutes of trying. So if you seriously want to seize an advantage Clemson has over Tech, start with the liberal arts offerings. We've had success of late against 'em, but that goes against anybody. I'll take it. But there's a reason Venables sets aside practice days to work against the option and Johnson: The offense can kill us and Johnson on the sideline is an imposing game coach. Tech can rip those NC hopes away from us.

Mar 29, 2018, 11:54 AM

GT has the reputation of only being an engineering school, but the reality is that they offer quite a few liberal arts degrees. I attended a GT graduation ceremony several years ago, and graduates were about 60% tech degrees and 40% liberal arts degrees.

Mar 29, 2018, 8:21 AM

Hey Paul. GT is a second choice for most of the players you get. Glad you got an extension. Another almost automatic win on the schedule works for me.

Mar 29, 2018, 8:52 AM

About the only thing PJ beats Dabo, like a drum, is golf!

Mar 29, 2018, 9:36 AM

While money may be their issue and not completely investing into their program, recruiting isn't as good because many offense players don't want to play in an option style offense these days. Players don't want to block for like 70 percent of the plays they are not involved in either. I don't see how they keep Johnson around honestly.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those days are gone. What is surprising....

Mar 29, 2018, 6:13 PM

is you’re still employed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”

? John Wayne

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic