Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Final Thoughts: The good and the bad of the Sugar Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

New Story: Final Thoughts: The good and the bad of the Sugar Bowl

Jan 4, 2018, 1:54 PM

Final Thoughts: The good and the bad of the Sugar Bowl

Clemson’s locker room in the aftermath of Monday’s Sugar Bowl loss to Alabama was different than the locker room after the title game loss to Alabama two years ago. Two years ago, seniors sat in their lockers, refusing to take off the pads and the jersey a final time, some staring into space while others fought back tears.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You forgot the Ugly ...

Jan 4, 2018, 2:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, he mentioned 65 year old #####.***

Jan 4, 2018, 2:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bewbs....stupid Amish word filter ruined my pun.***

Jan 4, 2018, 2:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Final Thoughts: The good and the bad of the Sugar Bowl

Jan 4, 2018, 2:09 PM

Good read David. Tigers gave us plenty to cheer about this year. On to 2018!

Jan 4, 2018, 3:34 PM

David and Nicki I look forward to your continued great stories about and your wonderful coverage of the Clemson Tigers. For any of you out there who want to complain about or question the coaching or play calling, be eternally grateful for what Clemson is today. I can tell you that we don’t want to go back forty to fifty years when our records were 3-8 or 6-5 on a regular basis. Clemson has come into national prominence over the last five years. Let’s be thankful for our athletic director, coaches, and all the support personnel for Clemson football. Go Tigers!

Jan 4, 2018, 2:49 PM

Wait for it! 2018, our time to shine and get Back on track! Please team, hold your head up high and be proud of what you have accomplished, I am so very proud of you! Learn from this and grow from this. This is not the end of the world, don't carry this around on your shoulders, but carry a torch that will burn everyday so the world can see that the light still burns bright within Clemson! Take it one day at a time, and the journey will become just a little lighter and soon it will become a thing of the past! Cheer up, the world did not stop because of Monday, let it become your past and look to a new season that will be a success! GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!! A True Clemson Fan until the end!!!!!!!!!! So Proud!!!!

Name drop much?

Jan 4, 2018, 2:53 PM

"ESPN reporter Marty Smith and I exchanged a series of texts yesterday..."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You can say it: Bourbon St is pure trash. ******

Jan 4, 2018, 3:02 PM

Pigs or it didn’t happen

Jan 4, 2018, 3:15 PM

Nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thoughts on your thoughts:

Jan 4, 2018, 3:16 PM

"nobody was going to beat Bama that night." I couldn't disagree more. Bama was getting seemingly every break in the first half and we were down 7. After we got our first break of the game on the Hurts fumble to start the 3Q, we didn't capitalize. The one thing the offense never did Monday night was believe. Scoring a touchdown there could've changed things.

"They played their best game of the year" Well yeah, isn't that what great teams do? An opponent raising their game when it matters most should make us want to play harder. Meanwhile, Clemson played there worst in quite some time in 2 phases of the game.

"Recruiting is going to ramp back up" This is about the only positive in my opinion. Georgia and Alabama aren't going anywhere and we're getting a week head start on eval for the remaining 2018 players and hopefully a leg up on 2019 guys.

Welp, time to watch the Army All-America game and think about the future. Mostly because this past game isn't something I want to think about again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 3:17 PM

Sorry, but the anecdote involving the older lady collecting beads cheapens the story. Didn't need to go there, don't care how funny you thought it was at the time.

Jan 4, 2018, 3:39 PM

Jan 4, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final Thoughts: The good and the bad of the Sugar Bowl ]

I echo what you said. Some things just need to be left unsaid. I was appalled that this writer chose to degrade a team of this caliber by including nonsense like that in an article. Write it in your personal journal if you want to remember it, but leave it out of your sports journalism. Very unprofessional!

As for the Tigers football team...WOW, what a great job this season!! One football game does not define who you are and what you have accomplished during a rebuilding year. I am PROUD to be a Tiger and have been since I was 5 years old in 1981! Coach Swinney and the rest of the coaching staff are applaudable for what they have done and how they support these young men and help them become adults! I am excited to support them.

Sorry, we had plenty of chances to win that game...that

Jan 4, 2018, 3:29 PM

sounds like something Meeky would say...You're better than that

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry, we had plenty of chances to win that game...that

Jan 4, 2018, 4:14 PM

So many chances that we couldnt even score a TD!

We had a couple of REAL good chances to score a TD, what

Jan 4, 2018, 4:17 PM

game were you watching?

The sad truth bothers some people apparently***

Jan 4, 2018, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Sorry, we had plenty of chances to win that game...that ]

So you got a good look at why middle age men suffer ED?***

Jan 4, 2018, 3:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate the excuse! “nobody was going to beat Bama that night

Jan 4, 2018, 4:02 PM

We were down by four in the 3rd qtr. if we had executed, we would have won or atleast the game would have been so close! Don’t say “nobody was going to beat Bama that night” it’s just not true. CLEMSON COULD HAVE BEATEN THAT ALABAMA TEAM. WE made mistakes and didn’t execute. That’s why we lost. It had nothing to do with Bama. Clemson lost that game.

Bama did play a part, but to say we had no chance is just

Jan 4, 2018, 4:19 PM

flat out wrong

Oh absolutely! Alabama had a great game

Jan 4, 2018, 5:26 PM

I’m not trying to take anything away from their win!

Re: I hate the excuse! “nobody was going to beat Bama that night

Jan 5, 2018, 7:53 AM [ in reply to I hate the excuse! “nobody was going to beat Bama that night ]

Our mistakes and lack of execution were aided in part by ...you guessed it , Bama .
Yep , anybody beating Bama on Monday night would have needed to play anybody other than Bama .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Another Sugar Bowl Perspective

Jan 4, 2018, 4:10 PM

Ascending to the top of the college football mountain is a daunting task for 130 teams to make the final 4. The Tigers have done it 3 times in a row, one of only two teams. Saban's approach may have won this game, but make no mistake there is a cost. Life doesn't allow living angry, so a playing angry mindset will get you hurt in the NFL and is a real problem in life if you can't channel.

I love our team of expert alpine climbers who will again set off to achieve the ascent to the peak of Everest. I say well done this year.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happen to throwing to

Jan 4, 2018, 5:37 PM

the He's and play calling has become very vanilla.

"Planting seeds of anger"

Jan 4, 2018, 6:27 PM

Their coach planting better seeds of motivation than us or our coach doesn't sit well with me as much of an explanation. Doesn't fly. Saban is made out to be some sort of magician with a magic bullet of "anger motivation" that he sprinkled and planted, and his players grew into monsters because of it. Sounds like we're reaching for reasons that they outplayed us. If there's any seeds, it's that this is a very talented team that lost to us last year and were chippier than us. The seeds, really, came from US - our stellar play last year. WE are the ones who planted the seeds. We'll come back stronger, it just wasn't our day and it happens.

You can't beat BAMA without an NFL ready QB

Jan 4, 2018, 7:27 PM

End of story.

You can beat Miami, VT, USCe, Wake, NCstate, GT, FSU, BC etc but you can't beat BAMA. No sir. Not without a QB that can play in the NFL.

The offense didn't do anything.

Re: You can't beat BAMA without an NFL ready QB

Jan 4, 2018, 7:48 PM

Stidham for Auburn is a great QB, but...not NFL ready.

Jan 4, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to You can't beat BAMA without an NFL ready QB ]

It’s questionable whether DW4 would have fared much better Monday. The major problem was that Alabama was able to get pressure on KB (a LOT of pressure) while rushing only 3 or 4 men. When a defense can do that they become extremely difficult against the pass as they can drop extra people in coverage. Combine that with the fact that we were constantly in 2nd 9 and 3rd and 8 situations and you have a recipe a defense to be dominant. We have watched our defense do this to opponents many times this season. In fact I think it’s a major reason why Bentley has struggled so much against Clemson.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:47 AM

Cmon man you giving bama too much credit. With Dw4 we win by two touchdowns. Bama aint all that great geez you guys sometimes seem like you worship the tide.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:56 AM

They " ain't all that great " ?
How many titles have they won in the last 10 years again ? They're playing in a 3rd straight national championship game.
If that isn't great then I am missing the part of my mind that reasons .
They're great for sure , and that isn't even debatable among those left with those reasoning thingys.

DB23

Jan 5, 2018, 9:20 AM

I never said they were not great. But to imply that Dw4 would have struggled is insane. He produce 500 yards of offense against that great bama d the last two years. Its pushing to say he would have struggled.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: You can't beat BAMA without an NFL ready QB ]

Never said they were not great. To imply that dw4 would struggle against bama is giving them too much credit when he torched bama 2 years in a row dont ya think? I mean despite
Our struggles it was only a one score game and bama needed ints to put game away. But they won hats off to them

Jan 5, 2018, 11:32 PM [ in reply to You can't beat BAMA without an NFL ready QB ]

Auburn did

Stop, if first INT doesn't happen and we score on that drive

Jan 4, 2018, 8:59 PM

the game could have gone out way.

Re: Stop, if first INT doesn't happen and we score on that drive

Jan 5, 2018, 10:14 AM

Who really knows what would have happened, but what did happen is when the interception happened it seemed to suck the life out of us, and we never recovered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stop, if first INT doesn't happen and we score on that drive

Jan 6, 2018, 8:54 AM

I am an old Tiger (1980 grad) and old school but am I the only one embarrassed by our QBs dancing promo and our players doing the "Cam like" first down signals early on. Seemed to me like we were a lot more concerned about show than substance for this game. I am sure our coaches and players learned another valuable lesson from Saban. Go Tigers!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic