Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just get a first down
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Just get a first down

Nov 9, 2020, 3:22 PM

If you’re the #1 team in all the land...

Just get a first down

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just get a first down

Nov 9, 2020, 3:26 PM

My thought was that since there were 2 minutes left and ND had their time outs, there was no chance of running down the clock without a first down, so after running on first down, throwing on second and third would have given us the best chance of ending the game.

I thought that at the time, but with a lead, you can't fault the coaches for being conservative. The defense had been solid all game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 7:07 PM

Solid? We gave up 47 points...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 7:15 PM

He said had been solid, which they were up to that point of the game. At that point the defense had given up only 19 points, and only 12 since the 2nd play of the game, and only 3 points in the 2nd half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'Mon Don't Be Silly....Look at Regulation & Then Defensive

Nov 9, 2020, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Just get a first down ]

Points if you want a realistic metric.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Just get a first down ]

When the decision was made we had given up 26 points and only ONE offensive TD in 58 minutes of game play.

We had given up ZERO offensive TDs in the previous 57 minutes of game play.

Nov 9, 2020, 3:31 PM

The #1 team with the best DC in the country and a defense that hadn’t allowed a touchdown since the 2nd play of the game should also be expected to be able to stop the other team from going 92 yards with only 1:48 left in the game.

Sometimes things just don’t go your way no matter what you do. I promise you had we come out throwing on that drive and gave them a short field after an interception that many more people would be making posts like yours while pointing out what I said in the first paragraph.

Probably would have had they not played a prevent defense***

Nov 9, 2020, 3:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Probably would have had they not played a prevent defense***

Nov 9, 2020, 4:53 PM

In that situation I like to see the opponent use his timeouts.Force him to drive the length of the field and score with zero timeouts. That lessens the number of plays you have to be concerned with.

Nov 9, 2020, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Probably would have had they not played a prevent defense*** ]

I thought BV blitzed quite a bit on that last drive, so it didn't appear to be in prevent mode from what I could tell, but could be mistaken.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Nov 9, 2020, 5:20 PM

I think that you are right. The prevent defense prevents you from winning!

Nov 9, 2020, 5:02 PM

TE running out of bounds did not help

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what it came down to. Do that and suddenly, the

Nov 9, 2020, 6:58 PM

defensive injuries were not enough to cause us to lose. What made not getting the first down worse was how the whole series went.

There we were in their territory, the 47, and had outscored them 23-3, with a seven point lead, and only 2:10 on the clock. The series was just the worst case scenario. If you're going to be real conservative, then keep the ball in the middle and make ND use timeouts and more time. The killer was the penalty prevented ND from having to use a timeout and then the run out of bounds. We used 16 seconds and they only had to use one timeout. I don't mind the conservative calls. I prolly would have done that too in hopes of making them use timeouts and not risking a turnover, and maybe get a first down, but prolly not. But if you know there is no way to run for the first down, and you're not even going to use clock or timeouts, then just throw it down inside the 20 and let it be like a punt if they pick it. Who knows you might get an interference call, or just catch the ball. If they stop you then punt. If they pick it then its like a punt down around the 15.

Re: That's what it came down to. Do that and suddenly, the

Nov 9, 2020, 11:29 PM

I think the problem with the entire drive wasn't being conservative, it was having no desire or strategy to actually pick up the first down. You could burn the clock and their timeouts even while running safe high percentage pass plays. Especially as they expected you to run, those quick fake handoff roll out quick tight end passes for 5 yards. That type of play burns clock, causes a time out but gives an actual chance for a 1st down.

The biggest problem is it was 2 weeks in a row we needed 1 first down to win the game and couldn't do it either time; same thing happened at BC. Coaches have to be able to scheme well enough to get 10 yards even while being conservative.

Some coaches

Nov 10, 2020, 7:15 AM

have the sphinctor muscles in these situations. Some, evidently, don't. I see this so much.

Clemson is #4***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:21 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Clemson is #4***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:21 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Clemson is #4***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:22 AM

Clemson is #4***

Clemson is #4***

And Bresee doesn't get hurt in overtime.***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:38 AM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic