Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jimbo went full Hugh Freeze. Never go full Freeze.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Jimbo went full Hugh Freeze. Never go full Freeze.

Aug 22, 2018, 11:20 AM

Kevin Sumlin recruited fairly well at A&M. Most of his classes fell between 10th and 20th in whatever class rankings you find. The talent level already on campus is one big reason A&M will be a tough out some September 8th.

Enter Jimbo...the 2019 recruiting class is currently a top 3 class, something Sumlin never did. For Jimbo to do this is truly outstanding, or fraudulent. If Marchiol’s statements are true- he was given a pile of cash to spend on a recruit (and then kept the change), A&M is in a world of hurt. It also begs the question: is this the extent of the recruiting violations or just the beginning?

I have a close friend who is a devoted Aggie. Since Jimbo took over I can recall 5-6 occasions in which he told me about another “unexpected” high profile commitment. Now I’m wondering exactly how this happened in such a short window. The only other example I can recall is Ole Miss- another school that mysteriously rocketed up the recruiting ranks overnite. And we all know what happened there.

Never go full High Freeze.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jimbo went full Hugh Freeze. Never go full Freeze.

Aug 22, 2018, 11:56 AM

Actually a very good point. You should expect some increase, especially as jimbo blew up FSU's recruiting class (and probably got them to come to A&M). But to go from the teens to top-5 overnight is not a good look.

This transfer request will be interesting in how it plays out. He doesn't seem like a kid to blow things up, but it does put a shot across the bow for every program they can't mess around anymore....soon we will see a photo of coaches handing money over.

Aug 22, 2018, 12:01 PM

Lil Jimbo does whatever it takes to field his team. When you lack coaching ability, your only option is to “out athlete” everyone else. The Bobby Bowden method. He will never beat Saben and it’s why he couldn’t beat Dabo the last 3 years.

Silliness. Fisher is a very good coach***

Aug 22, 2018, 3:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Silliness. Fisher is a very good coach***

Aug 22, 2018, 3:23 PM

Fisher knows the game of football. He is a terrible program manager. When you recruit troubled athletes and have no system or sense of personal development, you end up with what he got at FSU... Players are at odds with coaches because of a lack of respect and discipline. Administration is at odds with staff because players make the news for all the wrong reasons. Fans are divided over all of the above and even more so when you’re not winning consistently. It’s the result of win at all cost and neglecting personal development.

Aug 22, 2018, 11:59 AM

My biggest annoyance w Jimbo is he was at Clemson for a few weeks as a student. That just irks me to no end to think of him there. Fortunately he left for some reason and I dont care to know why.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 12:15 PM

The NCAA has no teeth anymore , they apparently only care about self preservation by their inactions and conversely their actions.
What is an actionable offense now ? When the sherrif gives up the gun , all is lost .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Unfortunately, you make a good point.

Aug 22, 2018, 12:53 PM

The NCAA botched the UNC and Miami investigations. Penn State should’ve gotten the death penalty IMO.

And why no one talks about Baylor is a mystery. If you get into the specifics of that institutions coverups and attitude toward what happened there, it’s unconscionable.

Which all proves your point: the NCAA is weak.

Aug 22, 2018, 12:32 PM

I think we're jumping the gun a bit. Sumlin recruited very well while at A&M (averaged the #12 class), and had top 10 classes after his first two seasons (#5, #9) when he was the "flavor of the month" coach thanks to winning the Cotton & Peach Bowls with Manziel. While at FSU, Jimbo had lesser facilities, less resources/money and a less fervent fanbase and averaged the #5 class, with just one of those classes not being Top 10 (it was #11). His FSU classes went as follows from 2010 to 2017:

Having a #3 recruiting class isn't uncharacteristic for Jimbo...heck even at FSU he hit gold fast, as he had the #2 class in his second season. This isn't to say shady things haven't happened under his tenure. I'm sure they have...nobody seems to want to face it, but shady things happen at all major schools, including Clemson. However we should wait for the facts to unfold. So far all we have (unless I've missed something) is a single player saying this and, furthermore, it's so A&M won't have any recourse from blocking him to join Sumlin at Arizona.

"Prepeah for a bitter harvest!"

Aug 22, 2018, 12:37 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ATM isn’t all that comparable to Ole Miss

Aug 22, 2018, 3:06 PM

They recruited very well before Fisher got there, and it seems pretty reasonable for it to have gotten better when a more respected coach with a very good recruiting pedigree got to ATM.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but to third?!

Aug 23, 2018, 1:14 AM

Nah. I don’t buy it.

Yes, to third

Aug 23, 2018, 6:28 AM

Isn't it reasonable to believe any prospect on FSU's radar went to A&M's radar when Jimbo moved to College Station? Comparing him to Freeze isn't remotely similar...Fisher has a long track record of recruiting success. Freeze, he came out of nowhere like a Blue Norther. Big difference.

In no way am I suggesting 'white glove' recruiting and program management is present at A&M, but the player has laid out enough details that would seem to be verifiable on a number of fronts. Let's see what happens next.

Meanwhile, be ever so grateful that Clemson isn't in the current spotlight(s) for the wrong reasons...and be adamant that the program remains that way...from the president on down...and beyond to boosters acting on their own. There's no substitute for the 'right way'. None.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic