Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it possible that some of these decommits might have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Is it possible that some of these decommits might have

Jul 20, 2020, 3:57 PM

become disillusioned with their chosen programs due to circumstances beyond the program's control? Specifically, Covid-19? Perhaps they were not treated like kings or welcomed to many events because those events were not being held this year...for anyone! Therefore, the hype of the institution failed to live up to the recruit's expectations? If so, sadly it will be the same at the next chosen place. But if you commit, then feel ignored (for reasons out of the institution's control) and you have the runner-up coach burning up your phone making you feel "special" again, the runner-up might suddenly seem a lot shinier and attractive.

One man's theory.

Thank You,

Dr. Mole

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it possible that some of these decommits might have

Jul 20, 2020, 4:19 PM

Another Tiger fan and I were having this conversation last week. I remember Dabo speaking at a local TD club meeting back in 2008 Dado saying about CJ “we felt like if we got him on campus we had a chance”. I know all teams are in the same boat right now but nobody does a better job face to face than Clemson. Missing all the on campus camps, visits etc I believe hurts us a little more than most. Good news is we have so much brand recognition and street cred. right now that it makes up for a lot.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 4:32 PM

Yep Dabo says Clemson sells itself. Fewer opportunities to get them there to experience that dont help

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible that some of these decommits might have ]

I think they had to cancel the All-In Cookout this year too didn't they? That always seems to either land us a new commit or two or at least solidifies our current commits.

Overall though, unless we see more decommits in the near future I'd say it has just been random. We've only had 2 players decommit, and it's hard to say if that's due to anything, or just typical recruiting stuff that we've been fortunate enough to not deal with very much over the past several years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's an excellent theory...

Jul 20, 2020, 4:20 PM

...have wondered the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jul 20, 2020, 5:43 PM

When Jeff and Brad Scott left, I had a feeling it may affect recruiting - Jeff was the best at it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Certainly can't help.***

Jul 20, 2020, 6:09 PM

Or, they miss being pursued and want to take some more

Jul 20, 2020, 7:12 PM

visits? Maybe, they aren't THE superstar in a room full of superstars?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 7:18 PM

Well, yeah. Totally agree.

I think it's THE problem. The trick with Clemson is, you get the kids on campus, let them see the town, meet the staff, meet the team, feel the vibe.

So much of that isn't possible right now. Clemson's pretty much just recruiting off reputation and results right now...which is great and all, but that only appeals to ambition. Clemson isn't really about simple ambition so much as all those intangibles Dabo and the program bring to the table. And those you have to sorta feel, until you get here it's kinda hard to put into words.

A good theory. I have thought that was a possibility. And

Jul 21, 2020, 11:27 PM

especially with Clemson because we are so good at that game. And suddenly, nothing. Remember, Hancock committed just before the complete shutdown.

Jul 21, 2020, 11:42 PM

Commitments are waaaaay ahead of schedule across the nation this year, because no one can take visits.

Even Coach Mus acknowledges that his “highly rated recruiting class” contains a bunch of guys who have just “made a reservation but are still shopping around.”

Conclusion: the decommitment bug will bite often and hard—probably for everybody who doesn’t keep selling candy to the baby after getting him tucked in—until on campus visits resume.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic