Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever?

May 24, 2016, 11:17 PM

What say you

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever?

May 24, 2016, 11:21 PM

Yes!

He's the new & improved Joe Montana!

#DW4 = Joe Moe 2.0 #ALLDAY

Go Tigers!

He's just a place holder for Powell though amirite?***

May 25, 2016, 7:58 AM

It's hard to argue for anyone being better at this point.

May 24, 2016, 11:21 PM

Highest Heisman finish in Clemson history.
Most wins in a season in Clemson history.
Plenty of Clemson QB records held.

Oh, and he's only played less than two seasons. Amazing!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It's hard to argue for anyone being better at this point.

May 24, 2016, 11:22 PM

I agree , at this point you'd have to say he is just stretching his lead .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: It's hard to argue for anyone being better at this point.

May 24, 2016, 11:42 PM [ in reply to It's hard to argue for anyone being better at this point. ]

And it ain't over yet. 53 of my 63 years of life has been as Tiger fan, and as far as I can remember, we have never had a single player as valuable as a DW4, none. But we have never had a wealth of talent across the board to go along with a player like DW4 either!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2016, 11:55 PM

At this point I say yes.

I can't remember a player who has meant more to the clemson football team that Deshaun Watson, although CJ Spiller did a little bit of everything

May 25, 2016, 12:27 PM

CJ set alone in his time, he was that go to guy that could do some of it all. The difference between CJ and DW4, is that DW4 is the part that makes the offense run on high octane that hardly ever sputters!!! If CJ had been a QB, DW4 would have been the 2d coming of CJ IMO....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

May 24, 2016, 11:57 PM

May 25, 2016, 12:02 AM

yes

after this year

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2016, 12:10 AM

If you like stats, then DW4 is the greatest, but until he drives the bus to the National Championship then my vote goes to Homer Jordan because he took us to the National Championship.
Stats are for losers.

May 25, 2016, 12:18 AM

LOL

My dad says the same thing.

Go Tigers!

May 25, 2016, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Greatness isn't just defined in stats, or leadership...though these two certainly matter. We're trying to get to the top. We're right at the door, and-with our schedule-DW4 can certainly take us there this year. Let's actually win the natty before we start discussing if he's the greatest. I, for one, am at a point where national runner-up and ACC championships have lost their luster for me. I want the big one. I want BAMA and the mighty $EC knocked off its snotty high horse. I want the nation to KNOW we are the best...and be competing for national championships year after year!!!

...sorry, three cups of coffee just now... ;)

And you've gotten to that point because we've had

May 25, 2016, 8:31 AM

so many ACC Championships and National Runner-Up finishes over the years??

Give me a break. It's damm hard to win the natty in football. No shame in finishing 2nd. We all want one so badly we can't stand it, but I'll still take all the ACC Championships and title game appearances you can give me. Come on man.

And no he doesn't need to win the Heisman, or a NC to be the greatest. He is the greatest to ever wear the Paw. No Clemson player has ever meant more to the team than DW4. Spiller was close, but you take DW4 off of last year's team, we don't even make the ACC Championship game. Got nothing to do with stats.

Old folks with outdated ways of thinking unite here!***

May 25, 2016, 8:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

I'm an old timer, but I couldn't disagree more ...

May 25, 2016, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

Love Homer Jordan but if asked which was the better QB and the greater player, then there is no question ... it's Deshaun Watson.

As far as comparing winning the MNC in 1981 to playing for the championship in 2016, I have to say that 14 wins trumps 12 wins and even though the team fell slightly short last year, I would hate to think how the 1981 Clemson team might have fared if they'd have had to play 2 more high-stakes games against increasingly tough competition.

IMHO, last year's North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Alabama games were all as tough as playing Nebraska in the 1982 Orange Bowl.

Deshaun needs to have a tremendous year to quash all discussion and totally nail down his spot in the pantheon of Clemson Tiger football players, but even if he quit today, I'd still rank him as the best of all time.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Homer Jordan???

May 25, 2016, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

Was you around when he was qb? If you was, you wasn't paying much attention. In 4 years he had a total of 15 TD passes to go with his 27 INTs. You read that right. Almost 2 interceptions for every touchdown pass he threw. He had a total of 971 yds rushing. That was combined rushing yards for 4 years (46games). How many did Watson have last year? 1105yds, 1305 in his 1st 2 years (23games). 49 TDs to only 15 INT for his career. Homer Jordan did win a NC, but it wasn't because of him. You take away him and put in another qb on that team (like Mike Eppley) and we probably win. Homer Jordan wasn't even the best player on that team. Probably not in the top 5 players on that team. I wouldn't put him in the top 10 QBs in Clemson history. And you can't compare wining a NC in '81 to winning one now. Not taking away from how good the '81 team was, but I would put my $ on last years team on a match up between the 2 teams.

Sprinkles are for winners?***

May 25, 2016, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

May 26, 2016, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

How are stats that back up how great a player is. DW4, 14 game straight winning streak. ACC championship win, NC playoff win against Oklahoma, lost by 5 points in the NCG to the best Bama team said to be in past , and that included the 3 previous NCG winners. Pretty impressive to me!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

May 25, 2016, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Is DW4 the greatest Clemson fb player ever? ]

I would say that DW4 is the best QB ever at Clemson, and he is the best QB in all of college FB during his time in college FB today. He has also set passing and rushing records in the same season that will stand for a long time in college FB future.

If he hauls in the Heisman...

May 25, 2016, 12:52 AM

...and leads us to a National Championship this year...without a doubt! If he does either one of those two, probably. Neither of them, maybe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is better if he doesn't win the Heisman or a NC

May 25, 2016, 6:50 AM

one of our other Heisman winners?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's really impossible to say...

May 25, 2016, 10:40 AM

...It's basically the same question as "who was better, the '81 NC team or the '15 team"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is better if he doesn't win the Heisman or a NC

May 25, 2016, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Who is better if he doesn't win the Heisman or a NC ]

None, never forget that heisman winners are voted for, and biases are through out the entire system!!!

Yes***

May 25, 2016, 8:25 AM

Offensive player, absolutely

May 25, 2016, 8:29 AM

and thats not taking anything away from the all time greats like Spiller, Terry Allen, Steve Fuller etc. He's just on another level and playing a more high profile position in a more high profile time.

But "football" player, thats a tough call. Its impossible to compare, but we've had some defensive players that are absolute freaks of nature. William Perry could run down RBs from behind. Michael Dean was every bit as talented, but he developed later. Chester McGlockton and Levon Kirkland were just as good at their position as DW4 is as a QB. Brian Dawkins is borderline NFL HOFer.

Probably- but Id definitely say "most dominant"***

May 25, 2016, 9:49 AM

May 25, 2016, 10:58 AM

I would say yes
Yes he is

May 25, 2016, 11:07 AM

Tajh isn't the greatest ever, but he is still very high on my list of all time greats even without a Carolina win. Him being the QB the first few years of my Clemson fandom (out-of-state student who became a diehard) he will always be a favorite of mine for that reason and also because he was a driving force to where we are today. I don't think Dabo would be on the level he is and Clemson would be the Clemson we are right now without Tajh's play and leadership before Deshaun. He got that ball rolling.

It's tough to establish someone as the "greatest ever" after only one full season and an injury plagued freshman year, but I wasn't around to see many of the other greats before the last several years, so Deshaun is tough to argue with, and if he has a season like last year even without a national title or Heisman trophy he'd still solidify himself as the best, I believe.

May 25, 2016, 1:20 PM

Greatest Player....hands down DW4. The most Valuable Player.....that would be a debate!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2016, 2:44 PM

He is top 3 but I think he should be measured like everyone else in sports history and that includes championships. If he wins the Natl Championship this year-- then yes without a doubt the greatest to play at Clemson. If he wins the Heisman and the Natl Champ then at least top 10 greatest in College football history.

May 25, 2016, 3:15 PM

Hard to compare, but my first thought was The Fridge. An amazing player IMO.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic