Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am no Saban fan by any stretch, but Joey Galloway is 100%
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

I am no Saban fan by any stretch, but Joey Galloway is 100%

Nov 17, 2019, 8:15 AM

Correct...there is no reason to criticize Nick for Tua’s injury. It was the FIRST HALF. Bama was trying to improve their standing for the CFP. And Tua himself asked to be on the field.

As usual, Jesse Palmer is an idiot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah i don't fault him one bit for having Tua out there

Nov 17, 2019, 8:21 AM

If there was a strong medical reason for Tua not to be playing late in the 2nd quarter than he shouldn't have been playing at all. And that should've been a decision made by the medical staff, coaches, Tua, and his family.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am no Saban fan by any stretch, but Joey Galloway is 100%

Nov 17, 2019, 8:24 AM

Yep, a few years ago people may remeber us jumping all over Syracuse in the first quarter and Dabo pulled the starters and DW4. Then Syracuse started making a comeback and we had to put the starters back in. The starters had all cooled off standing on the sideline and struggled to hold on for the win. Whatever you do to one team in the first half, they can do the same thing to you in the second if you stop playing. You don't ever take your foot off the gas in the first half.

Nov 17, 2019, 9:06 AM

Yeah that didn’t happen. It was 2015 and we were up 14-0 in the first quarter. The starters were all still in the game, including DW4. We started that drive running the wildcat with KB2, with DW split out wide. KB then fumbled the ball and they recovered. We didn’t run the wildcat again that game. Unfortunately that gave them some momentum and they made a game out of it, only losing by 10. But we never took all the starters out in the first quarter in an away conference game in the first quarter only up 14. That would be crazy.

Nov 17, 2019, 1:21 PM

There was a game in recent history where we put the starters back in to show the backups how to close out. It had nothing to do with score, but rather making the point of finishing strong. Is this the game he was thinking of?

Nov 17, 2019, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I am no Saban fan by any stretch, but Joey Galloway is 100% ]

that actually isn't accurate, to my remembrance. We played the starters through the first half and had Dabo for the only time I've ever witnessed nearly break a sideline reporter in half with a look when he got asked about it. But then, yes, we suddenly looked thoroughly mortal in the second half.

Tua is still recovering from Surgery

Nov 17, 2019, 8:24 AM

Normally, I think pulling a QB before the half is over is not a great move. I’ve complained that Dabo has pulled Lawrence too early. My problem with Saban in this case is Tua is still recovering from surgery and playing him was stupid when the game was locked. You can’t tell a competitor like Tua to not play aggressive. Tua should have been benched much earlier to heal.

FWIW, I still think Dabo was wrong playing an injured Kelly Bryant against Syracuse year before last.

That's one of the big problems we have in the CFB era...The need for style points. Winning big is now more important than just winning. Clemson is still dealing with “losing” to UNC although it was a conference victory on the road. Now you have to blast teams rather than pulling your starters earlier to give your backups reps…

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

With rivalry week coming up, Deshaun Watson says hello

Nov 17, 2019, 8:28 AM

Torn ACL and all

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

Nov 17, 2019, 8:42 AM

I agree with your assessment here, but one thing seems really odd...why did Saban voluntarily say “that was going to be Tua’s last series”? Makes me wonder what he’s trying to deflect. Saban was doing all he could to try and blow out Miss St to move back into the top 4, and he knew he had to have Tua to do it. Yes, the hip injury is uncommon and may have nothing to do with Tua’s health going into the game, but Saban is totally disingenuous and does things to cover his own butt. His statement going in at halftime is no different from any of his other crap

Wasn’t it last possession before halftime?***

Nov 17, 2019, 8:47 AM

Tua's injury was a fluke

Nov 17, 2019, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: I am no Saban fan by any stretch, but Joey Galloway is 100% ]

And had nothing to do with the ankle. Saban's explanation was reasonable, too. I think Nick's a goon, but that doesn't make every decision he makes a bad one. Injuries happen.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tua's injury was a fluke

Nov 17, 2019, 9:20 AM

Like I said, it was an uncommon injury, and likely had nothing to do with his health going into the game. Also, the explanation from Saban was odd to say the least.

Nov 17, 2019, 9:23 AM

From what I understand, his injury was a bit of a freak injury. It was not related to his previous injuries.

Nov 17, 2019, 9:38 AM

Everyone, please read this.

Nov 17, 2019, 10:04 AM

I'm not criticizing Saban's decision to play Tua, but the type surgery he had on his leg could have contributed to the hip dislocation and fractured acetabulum. He could have been altering his running because of the leg.

Nov 17, 2019, 1:08 PM

Not saying it’s completely impossible, but man that feels like quite a stretch. I mean a BIG stretch. Two defenders fell on him and applied a force great enough to push his femur out of its socket. I highly doubt a lack of a previous injury on his lower extremity would have prevented that. Their way as nothing awkward with the way he was running. He was running away from defenders as any QB would in that situation. I just don’t think there’s any dots to connect here

Nov 17, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: I am no Saban fan by any stretch, but Joey Galloway is 100% ]

While it’s definitely fair to say that the hip injury is unrelated to his previous injuries, the previous injuries could still play a role. As another commenter said, he could have altered the way he was running. I don’t think anyone can question that Tua was a little less mobile than he is at 100%, and that extra mobility may have helped him avoid such an awkward hit there

Dood, you can't get wrapped up in ESPiN's soap opera...

Nov 17, 2019, 9:42 AM

scriping. The staff picks an issue and they talking heads pick which side of the issue they will defend. It's a freaking entertainment program designed with something to suit all viewers. It's akin to professional wrestling where you hate one guy and love another.

It doesn't matter whether you watch to see one guy win or see the other one lose, you watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2019, 11:19 AM

Just my opinion...

According to Saban the reason they left Tua in was to work on the two-minute drill. I get that he was basically getting reps.

But why not get those "practice" reps against next week's team, Western Carolina? Yes, injuries can happen regardless of who you play but the likelihood should be less against an FCS school.

Nov 17, 2019, 11:22 AM

Football is an inherently dangerous sport, and armchair generals will always be there to second guess the coach when an injury happens. Nothing that I saw in how Tua was playing indicated that he should not be playing. We have the benefits of hind-sight, and if they had pulled him or not had him play at all, there would have been fans saying they could still have made the playoffs if they were more impressive in how they won. Bottom line, he was cleared to play, wanted to play, and that decision is only being questioned due to what happened.

My criticism is different - there was no reason to play him

Nov 17, 2019, 11:33 AM

Sometimes, you have to protect players from themselves.
Not that he could not play. But, with the injury - and Auburn coming up - and miss state not good enough to be competitive - why would you risk it?

Yes, Tua could still throw. But he could not escape.

If Saban played him, the logic is fine with running the two minute drill. But I would have sat him the entire game.

What is done is done.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My criticism is different - there was no reason to play him

Nov 17, 2019, 11:39 AM

Believe what you want, Tua was playing to run up the score for the CFP Committee. End of story.

i beg to differ on the trying to improve

Nov 17, 2019, 11:55 AM

playoff position..fact is saban knows the committee are gaga over them and the sec..so it wouldnt take much for bama to impress them..now if he was coaching oregon or utah id agree

Re: i beg to differ on the trying to improve

Nov 17, 2019, 12:08 PM

Beating MS State 21 - 7 (or less margin) without Tua only gets Bama dropped in the upcoming rankings. Saban wanted to at least stay at 5 looking for some chaos. I hope they do get in with Jones. How do you think that will work out for Bama?

Nov 17, 2019, 12:10 PM

Sometimes you have to protect from themselves, Tua shouldn’t have been in the game period. Everybody has a right to they’re own opinion.

Nov 17, 2019, 1:15 PM

The question is how much pressure did Saban and the program exert on the medical opinions rendered regarding his ankles. I think bone damage, including holes drilled in bones, should have a mandatory 4 week recovery.

Nov 17, 2019, 4:37 PM

Tuo had no business being in the game up 28 points. Saban was trying to run up the score so he'd get picked in the final 4. May have ruined Tuo's pro career. Hope not.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2019, 6:21 PM

Few things I"ve seen said here that I would add to:

1) Tua's last series = multiple people have said QB2 was warming up. If Bama didn't score on the 2-min drill (with 3 min to go) but got the ball back, it appears the backup was going in.
2) Ankle injury vs hip injury - although the injured area is not the same area he had surgery, it has been pretty well documented when a guy plays hurt, he favors the hurt area. This changes the dynamics of the body and puts stress on other areas that are picking of the slack of the favored area.
3) This injury does appear to be a bit of a fluke thing but in regards to #2 who really knows for sure.
4) Him being on the field is not Saban's fault. Its up to medical staff and/or player to decide who should play.
5) If we want to blame anyone, I say blame CFP and AP voters and sports analysts for every network who are demanding that teams win with style points. This type thing will become much more common if, despite the mandate from the CFP itself that incentive for margin of victory shall NOT be considered.

Nov 17, 2019, 8:06 PM

Really it's Bama's fault. They got the credit from the national media for being the "best team ever" by running up the score on lesser opponents. Now it's a standard.

Nov 17, 2019, 8:21 PM

Absolutely. Saban did nothing wrong yesterday, and I feel horrible for Tua. Prayers for the young man.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic