Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help me out board peeps.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

Help me out board peeps.......

Oct 27, 2014, 11:16 AM

Ok, I don't get to spend a lot of time on message boards or social media...seems like I am always driving to and from Clemson for interviews and practices, and then I'm writing when I am not driving or interviewing. But.....

I was on social media (I made it home early) the night that SCar lost to Kentucky and I was pretty sure the world had ended. I expected more of the same this week...4-4 team, bad defense, offense turned it over at critical times, etc. Not a lot pretty except they kept it close with an Auburn team that I am not sure is really good enough (especially on defense) to be considered elite.

Well..Nikki sent me a couple of links Sunday, and the difference in the two fanbases is striking. Clemson is 6-2, defense ranked third nationally and hopefully getting a lot of injured players back over the next few weeks. Future looks great..but Clemson fans are mad, not happy with a double-digit win because of the offense, etc.

On the other side, Scar fans are almost giddy. They played a decent Auburn team close and are 4-4 and they are excited about the way their team played, people are proud to be a Gamecock. Two weeks ago, they wanted to hang Steve in effigy and now he is...without a doubt...the greatest playcaller of all time.

Amazing how things have changed.......Am I right? Or did I miss it? Tell me if I'm wrong.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you right***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:17 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there's probably a couple of reasons why...

Oct 27, 2014, 11:22 AM

Our defense is definitely special, and a lot of fun to watch. I am happy to win these games, regardless of score, especially given the DW and offensive line situation.

I do think there are some concerns Clemson fans have that go deeper than just "how" we're winning these games. I don't think those are the one's you are talking about, tho.

Concerning SCU... I was not gonna be surprised at all if they went into AU and won that game. I don't think we can beat them until I see us do it. Spurrier knows what he's doing, and he's got Dabo's number. That's not a bash, it's a fact. I hope we can win, but I don't care how good our defense is, I won't believe it until I see it.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I think many of us are worried

that we're barely beating bad ACC teams. When we finally get to play a real opponent, we're going to do that thing where we get all conservative, turn it over, have double digit 3 and outs, etc. And a good opponent will actually be able to score when our defense gets tired.

I think the only real accomplishment left for this season is to beat the coots. I'm not sure we're headed down a path that will make that easy.

Re: I think many of us are worried

Oct 27, 2014, 12:48 PM

beating the coots is always secondary priority. and will be for at least 25 more years...hopefully longer

Right now that's priority #1

Oct 27, 2014, 1:47 PM

This season will be a failure if we don't beat them. Plain and simple. This once in a lifetime defense will have absolutely nothing to show for their hard work.

Re: Right now that's priority #1

Oct 27, 2014, 2:04 PM

Oh this is not a once in a lifetime D....it used to happen just as the sun rose in the morning. It can continue...if they WANT IT TOO...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're correct.

Clemson fans = angry and worried
Scar fans = sunshine and happiness

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's how it's worked, for the entire history of

Oct 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

sports and the internet.

Oh boy, you're gonna be labeled a pumper for this***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: Oh boy, you're gonna be labeled a pumper for this***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:25 AM

lol....I am not a pumper. I think there are valid concerns with Clemson right now. Just kinda surprised that group down there is 4-4 and feel like they are on top of the world.

I see both sides of it, love out defense playing lights out,

Oct 27, 2014, 11:29 AM

but I realize we're struggling with the offense, BUT we've had a lot of injuries and our OL hasn't played well throughout an entire game, so I'm not willing to lay the blame at just one players feet.

For instance Cole's two picks on Saturday, the first he was hit as he threw the ball thus making it off target, and the second pick could've been a bad route by a wide receiver? Idk whenever I see a ball thrown to a spot and it looks bad on the qb, maybe we don't know if a receiver ran a wrong route?

Always an option C or a different way to look at it. Bottom line is Watson is a better talent and I can't wait for him to be back and healthy but I stand behind Cole until that time

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

This is the same program that didn't win a bowl gane until

Oct 27, 2014, 11:25 AM

the 1994 season.

They're just happy to be in the $EC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Eight games

Oct 27, 2014, 11:30 AM

into the season and the Tigers are still snapping the ball over the QB's head. Yes, I am a little concerned. We have lousy quarterbacks who aren't 8 feet tall and that is a sure sign of failure! If we don't clean up play like this, bad snaps, poor blocking and fumbled pitchouts will kill you against a S.C team. It ain't Stoudts fault.

Maybe the universe is starting to realign...finally.***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:28 AM

First, I think everyone is psyched about the defense

Oct 27, 2014, 11:29 AM

and that we are winning these games, albeit by the skin of our teeth.

Injuries and personnel losses aside, it is a bit concerning that the offense has scored 3 offensive touchdowns in the last 12 quarters against mostly inferior competition. It's not like we are pulling out close victories over top-10 teams. That's probably where a lot of the concern is directed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Help me out board peeps.......

Oct 27, 2014, 11:31 AM

They are playing better than they were earlier and we are playing worse. It is the direction of the teams that the fan bses are focused on.

good post***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:33 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

So let me get this straight ...

Oct 27, 2014, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Help me out board peeps....... ]

South Carolina is playing "better" based off a win over Furman and a loss at Auburn in which they gave up 551 total yards (395 on the ground) and turned it over three times? Clemson is playing "worse" because the offense is struggling even though the team has won five in a row and it looks like people can't score on them ....I have that right?

you do!

Oct 27, 2014, 11:47 AM

weird huh ?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So let me get this straight ...

Oct 27, 2014, 11:49 AM [ in reply to So let me get this straight ... ]

Yep David that's how crazy being a Tiger fan has become. And the whole time, our guys just keep on winning...

Oct 27, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to So let me get this straight ... ]

> South Carolina is playing "better" based off a win
> over Furman and a loss at Auburn in which they gave
> up 551 total yards (395 on the ground) and turned it
> over three times? Clemson is playing "worse" because
> the offense is struggling even though the team has
> won five in a row and it looks like people can't
> score on them ....I have that right?

It sure seems that way. Perception of each fan base.

They are assuming we won't get any of the injured players back***

Oct 27, 2014, 12:02 PM [ in reply to So let me get this straight ... ]

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 27, 2014, 1:30 PM [ in reply to So let me get this straight ... ]

David,

They played Auburn (ranked top 5) and played for national championship last yr. Im extremely glad they lost but there are some spots where they played much improved

We played one of the worst teams in the ACC AT HOME. We turned the ball over, struggled to move the ball and only won by 10.

It's not as simple as we win and they lose

Oct 27, 2014, 11:34 AM

Internet coaching is a cottage industry here on T-net. These " coaches" earn web cred ( as opposed to street cred in the real world) by pointing out the painfully obvious about this offense. What they don't seem to understand is that we common, unwashed fans don't care. We accept that our job is only to support this team, nothing more, nothing less.

Oct 27, 2014, 11:36 AM

Perception.

It's not all about winning and losing when discussing the pulse of a fan base.

A great team can play bad and win, while a bad team can play lights out and lose.

SC played as well as they could Saturday yet lost. Can we say the same? This mindset, in my opinion, is why Clemson has historically been the better program. We always want more. Demand more. Expect more.

now- how about helping me out?

Oct 27, 2014, 11:40 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1398479&start=0&tstart=0

Oct 27, 2014, 11:36 AM

I think we can get by with our current lineup through the WF game ,but we need DW back for GT and the SC game, those 2 teams are better than Syracuse and if we turn the ball over like we did we will struggle anyway. Thank God our defense has shown up every week!

Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to

Oct 27, 2014, 11:44 AM

Florida State?

The selective memory bias is impressive.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Uhhhh...no....we weren't.

Oct 27, 2014, 11:47 AM

In fact it was quite the opposite. People were more than just a little pi$$ed-off beacuse Clemson out-played FSU on both sides of the ball and should have won the game.

You nimrods are just thrilled you didn't get embarrassed by Auburn on national TV again and now you're under the delusion that playing Auburn close automatically translates into wins against Tennessee, Florida and Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Any reasonable Clemson fan was absolutely not

Oct 27, 2014, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

pumped about that loss.

Nice try though.

Actually, no it wasn't.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to

Oct 27, 2014, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

> Florida State?
>
> The selective memory bias is impressive.

Lovers are pumped after a loss. You guys should know that by now. #learnfromhistory

Oct 27, 2014, 11:52 AM

*losers

No, we weren't. That loss hurt more than any I've ever

Oct 27, 2014, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

witnessed.

You are dumb as ####.

Oct 27, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

Absolutely NOT...Yes we spanked the 'noles in every area but the score board at the bitter end. We expect to do the spanking and we expect to WIN. We take no solace in a loss....EVER.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moral Victory Natty***

Oct 27, 2014, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

Can you produce a link for those of us with selective

Oct 28, 2014, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

memories?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ummm, absolutely not. I was irrate that we GAVE the game

Oct 28, 2014, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Weren't you guys pumped after your loss to ]

away with errors. The 'selective memory' award goes to you....

I am not mad bro

Oct 27, 2014, 11:45 AM

why should I be?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

You are correct..

Oct 27, 2014, 11:45 AM

The complaining started with $4.00 bottled water and is really picking up steam. Some on here would have hung Danny after coming home a 13-5 winner over Tulane and 1981 never would have happened.

I have always wondered how many people on here have either thrown a ball, caught a ball, blocked for the ball or tackled the ball AFTER the 10th grade.

Oct 27, 2014, 11:50 AM

oh no david, you are correct. our new modern day fan base is a pathetic excuse. kind of embarrasing really.

Because they think that translates into a win over Clemson

Oct 27, 2014, 12:01 PM

on Nov. 29th.

Oct 27, 2014, 12:06 PM

Scar almost won and the Tigers almost lost

why wouldn't they be giddy???

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also

Oct 27, 2014, 12:15 PM

Clemson has 5 wins over FBS teams... the record of those teams is 17-15

SCU has 3 FBS wins, but the combined record of those three is 14-8 (includes 6-1 UGA and 6-1 ECU)

I know SCU only has 3 FBS wins... but two of them are against teams that will likely win 10 games this year. THAT is why there i'm not buying into the "the streak ends this year" until i see it.

on a side note... they were up by 2 TDs with under 8 min. to go in two of the losses... this is hardly a year to be saying "we're gonna end the streak" b/c of their record.

Message was edited by: york_tiger®

Credit to you for getting wiser with age

Oct 27, 2014, 12:19 PM

I'm not sure if we will beat Clemson this year or not. It will depend on whether or not our defense can force your offense to punt.

However, I'm not sure why anyone is acting as though Clemson would have beaten Auburn Saturday night.

i really thought you guys were gonna go down there and cut

Oct 27, 2014, 12:19 PM

them... i even posted that it would not suprise me at all

I didn't

Oct 27, 2014, 12:24 PM

I knew our defense couldn't get a stop to make up for the mistakes our offense would eventually make.

Our offense has the ability to score on anyone, our defense just is nonexistent.

See if that statement holds water on Nov. 30.***

Oct 27, 2014, 12:44 PM

Who's acting like we would have beaten Auburn?

Oct 27, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Credit to you for getting wiser with age ]

I guess I missed those posts.

Links to folks saying we would beat Auburn?

Oct 27, 2014, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Credit to you for getting wiser with age ]

Don't have those?

Ok, I guess that's like when we were fired up after losing to FSU?

Sadly the same can't be said about you***

Oct 27, 2014, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Credit to you for getting wiser with age ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hey BigXII Guru, what's the W-L records of teams we've lost

Oct 27, 2014, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Also ]

to this year.

Clemson and SCU that is...

This should be good.

i'm not great in math... but cents they've lost

Oct 27, 2014, 12:47 PM

4, and we've lost 2... i'm gonna say that will be a little skewed

kinda like the fact that they have 2 less FBS wins than us, but the teams they've beaten have almost as many wins as the 5 we have...

like that?

They have 4 losses, we have 2.. Quit kissing thier @sses

Oct 27, 2014, 12:56 PM

already.

"I won't believe it until I see it" "There's no reason to believe we'll EVER WIN AGAIN!!!! WAH WAH WAH"

You make me sick. Why don't you nut up man.

"OH MIGHTY SPURRIER, HE'S IN SO MANY PEOPLE'S HEADS!!!!!"

Quit being such a candy @ss. Here lately sounds like you want to be a coot so bad you can't stand it. I'm sure CC has some jorts you can borrow. Holler at him, I'm just it'll just take 1 or 2 PBR for him to loan 'em to you.

6 ain't happening.

I like your optimism...

Oct 27, 2014, 12:59 PM

but I am a bit skeptical

because five in a row.

I bet Alabama fans were skeptical at a time too..

Oct 27, 2014, 1:04 PM

5 in a row is what it is. The only thing to do is go out and win the next one.

I'm just saying please for the love of all that is good and pure, please quit p!ssing nad moaning that "I won't believe it until I see it"

That kind of crowd is the ones that will sell their tickets to coots that day. For God sakes do you not understand that you sound like coots sounded for how many years?

I won't believe it until I see it

Oct 27, 2014, 1:05 PM

;)

Please bob, use a step ladder, I don't want you to miss

Oct 27, 2014, 1:14 PM

anything... ;)

That's odd.

Oct 27, 2014, 12:59 PM [ in reply to They have 4 losses, we have 2.. Quit kissing thier @sses ]

I was looking for

"There's no reason to believe we'll EVER WIN AGAIN!!!! WAH WAH WAH"

and

"OH MIGHTY SPURRIER, HE'S IN SO MANY PEOPLE'S HEADS!!!!!"

in York's post, but for some reason I missed them.

Re: Also

Oct 27, 2014, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Also ]

Maybe you should have gone to the SEC instead of Clemson going to the BIGXII

I think much of it comes from preconditioning....

Oct 27, 2014, 12:55 PM

Remember, Internet fans are pretty much an invention of the past decade or so.

Over the past decade, Clemson's defense has generally NOT been something you want to hang your hat on. Us Silverbacks have much less trouble making the adjustment, because for years we thrived on an eviscerating, will-smashing, gut punching defense ... with just enough offense to get by. Then, if the game was close in the end, the offense could go into grind mode and hang on.

Over the past decade, if Clemson didn't have at least a 2-TD lead going into the 4th quarter, you COULDN'T feel safe. A generation of fans has grown up looking over their shoulders ... just in case someone was catching up. So, when the offense sputters now, it triggers a primal doom-and-gloom reaction from the fans.

To me, they aren't whiners or complainers ... well, most, anyway. They don't know how to savor a true defense, because many have never seen one in orange.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely spot on!!

Oct 27, 2014, 2:02 PM

nm

on the negative for Clemson

Oct 27, 2014, 1:05 PM

We haven't beaten a ranked team yet, and most Clemson fans can not stomach another loss to the Gamecocks. ..but it looks like that is where we are headed. As bad as Carolinas defense is, they are better than Syracuse. As great as our defense is, we're not shutting out Dylan Thompson. So me personally I'm very concerned.

We will beat the ##### IF...

Oct 27, 2014, 2:39 PM

I am assuming Watson will be back to form and the defense continues to play well, then we WILL beat the chickens IF we don't turn over the ball like we have made a habit of doing against them recently, especially last year. We cannot turn over the ball and expect our defense to stop them every time, I don't care how great the defense is. We MUST protect the ball!

Oct 27, 2014, 1:46 PM

They are gamecock fans. Enough said.

not wrong - moral victory natty for the coots***

Oct 27, 2014, 1:50 PM

Oct 27, 2014, 2:15 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16095619#16095619

Clemson

In a nutshell: We have a Bugotti Veyron but we drive it

Oct 27, 2014, 5:10 PM

45 mph. Totally wrong but sort of sums up the pessimism best I can describe.

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic