Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Desmond Howard was not completely wrong.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Desmond Howard was not completely wrong.

Oct 7, 2018, 11:36 AM

At this moment, our teams offense doesn’t strike the level of fear that it did when Watson was quarterback. I don’t take this as a big put down, but more as a reflection of past success. Lawrence will strike the same level of fear in our opponents, he’s just not quite all the way there yet. Neither was Watson when he arrived. When Lawrence becomes the Four Star Field General that he will become, we won’t hear junk like the comments of Desmond Howard. Get ready folks, Lawrence will be scaring the crap out of everyone very soon !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Desmond Howard was not completely wrong.

Oct 7, 2018, 11:55 AM

The endless bubble screens sure aren't causing any fear either.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 12:06 PM

That play with Trevor Lawrence is working perfectly because he gets the ball out there so fast. I’m not sure why you don’t like the quick screen game. Teams stack the box then that play works. they don’t stack the box we pound them up the middle. It’s a pretty basic concept.

Oct 7, 2018, 12:20 PM

I just want to see more downfield passes to Higgins, Fields, and slant passes to Renfrow, Rogers, etc. But I agree that the screens do open up the running game, but too often we only gained a yard or so on the screen.

Ross, not Fields

Oct 7, 2018, 12:23 PM

I was arguing with a dumb dawg about QBs at the same time. LOL

Oct 7, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Desmond Howard was not completely wrong. ]

Playing an actual football game is different than playing a video game. You can't just air it out all the time, a lot of times the play changes at the line bc of what the defense is showing.

I think the way Bama played us last year is what a lot of defense are trying to do to us now. Get up in our receivers faces and get pressure on the QB. That's why running the ball and those screens are so important

Oct 7, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Desmond Howard was not completely wrong. ]

I think we mixed the run with screens with down field passes perfectly yesterday except first 2 drives. If we start taking too many shots down field Lawrence has shown he’s overthrowing right now to the sidelines and it could set us back some drives. Hes rifling it over the middle so that’s where we need to keep attacking like we have been. I like the quick wide receiver screens but I do not like the screens to the running back, poor ETN can’t catch lol that’s the only thing he can’t do

Offense cannot reach its full capability until we have a...

Oct 7, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Desmond Howard was not completely wrong. ]

TE presence in the passing game. That opens up everything else for sure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Desmond Howard was not completely wrong. ]

Outside of a few specific situations, I don’t care for screen passes. However, I agree with you on this one. T.L.’s quick release and resulting velocity make it far more effective. The receiver actually has time to make a move downfield after the catch.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 12:00 PM

698 yards later.... still nobody is afraid of our offense.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 12:08 PM

698 yards later.... still nobody is afraid of our offense.

LOL at there bravado.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 1:58 PM

It’s normal for them to doubt. Just keep doing it. Wake had 5 of 7 linebackers injured according to Clawson. He was playing DB’s and scout team at LB and in defensive backfield. NC State has a real D1 front. Their gameplan will be stack the box to shut down ETN and pressure Lawrence, with man coverage. He will have to make them pay under duress all day.

Oct 7, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Desmond Howard was not completely wrong. ]

LOL - except they aren't sec or big 10ish yards. Those are a different scale, meters, yards, sec/big 10ish yards, parsecs, light years.

I think Howard took the high road.

Oct 7, 2018, 12:13 PM

His job is to be an analyst, and he gave an opinion. Its quite surprising to me that a coordinator of a successful top 5 program would even bother addressing a comment.

I also think there's a lot of truth to both of Howard's comments. Good on him for not getting in a back and forth with Scott.

We have been pretty inconsistent to this point. I'm notnsure finesse was the right word, but the lack of continuity at qb with KB, TL injury, and CB playing as left me feeling uncertain about our ability to win in a shootout if needed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I think Howard took the high road.

Oct 7, 2018, 12:20 PM

I hated that Jeff Scott responded....Oh well...He will take high road next time...

Oct 7, 2018, 12:25 PM

Howard is more of an ANTAGONIST than he is an analyst.

Scott should have responded like Dabo and Elliott did but

Oct 7, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to I think Howard took the high road. ]

Re: Scott should have responded like Dabo and Elliott did but

Oct 7, 2018, 2:43 PM

DH is the male version of Maria Taylor. He's on there to flash those pearly white teeth and show some charisma. And I know the Colin Cowherds and Desmonds of the world are just hot take click bait one trick ponies....but I, for one, am glad Jeff Scott came back at them. They came in hot on his squad....his team within the TEAM....and he defended them. I liked it! I think more people should do it. Call 'em out!

That stuff they're spewing is just rat poison!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

LOL yeah he took the high road, he doesn't normally

Oct 7, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to I think Howard took the high road. ]

respond, per him, but he wanted to respond to let our coach know that he sympathized with him because he must have had a bad week. Classy guy that desmond.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't think it was a rough week for coaches and players with Fuller's passing?***

Oct 7, 2018, 12:33 PM

null

No, I don't think that is why Jeff Scott responded the way

Oct 7, 2018, 12:41 PM

he did

I hear ya. But when things are stressful your skin is a little less thick.

Oct 7, 2018, 1:16 PM

That's human nature. But I'm working on the premise that JS wouldn't normally resto an analyst.

null

Oct 7, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to I think Howard took the high road. ]

Good on him for not getting in a back and forth with Scott? Did you see the video he made for Scott? Dressed in his pajamas on his lazy boy, smirking at the video of Scott, Howard suggested that maybe Scott had had a bad week. Let’s not forget that the team is burying their former teammate this afternoon. They have essentially lost two teammates in two weeks. It was classless for Howard to respond the way he did, via video, smirking and smiling. It obviously got under his skin that someone called him out, and he felt the need to get the last word before he went to bed.
I don’t mind what analysts say on their shows when they critique us. It’s usually accurate. There is some truth to what Howard first said on GameDay. Yes, Scott could have—and maybe should have—saved that for Dabo to do, but Howard’s extra effort from his home was not professional or appropriate.
Dabo has called out media members a few times before as well following a game. Remember when Dabo called out Colin Cowherd when he called us a fake? Or Dabo’s response to “Clemsoning”? I really like Coach Scott, and wouldn’t want him anywhere else. He has a lot more class than most. Although he wasn’t wrong in what he said, the moment got the best of him for everyone to see. Next time, he will let Dabo handle it. Let’s support our coaches when they defend our team.

Oct 7, 2018, 12:42 PM

Why did TNET trade hashtags for my use of the word c l e m s o n “ing” when referring to when Dabo went off on the media for using the word?

Oct 7, 2018, 2:38 PM

THIS ***

Agree. Why are we responding to such? Too sensitive IMO.***

Oct 7, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to I think Howard took the high road. ]

A reporter asked Jeff Scott about Desmond's comments.

Oct 7, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to I think Howard took the high road. ]

Some of you are acting like Scott was so bothered by this that he brought it up. He was asked a question and responded. I like that he defended our offense and our players. If I were a player, I would appreciate that my coach had my back, even when a national expert criticized me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

B. S. Gallman was tough, but does not compare to

Oct 7, 2018, 12:29 PM

running game we have now. That is where Desmond is wrong!

that ETN is a finesse runner he dances around can't

Oct 7, 2018, 12:34 PM

break a tackle...ole Higgens trucks a defender and knocks his helmet off and just stands there because he is just a finesse type of receiver...

no toughness with our D, pure finesse

Re: that ETN is a finesse runner he dances around can't

Oct 7, 2018, 2:41 PM

My thoughts exactly. Plus the defender was planning on laying Tee out, until the tables were turned.

Agree we basically have 3 or 4 Gallmans now

Oct 7, 2018, 12:37 PM [ in reply to B. S. Gallman was tough, but does not compare to ]

Howard is upset about Bryant

Oct 7, 2018, 12:31 PM

I don't care how we play he's probably going to be down on us all year.

Re: Howard is upset about Bryant

Oct 7, 2018, 12:34 PM

If Dez is butthurt about Bryant then he needs to go talk to Bryant about why HE DECIDED TO QUIT on our team.

Completely agree. You can just tell that is the issue

Oct 7, 2018, 12:38 PM

because he keeps mentioning it. Apparently he thinks you're supposed to play the oldest guy, not the best guy. But don't remember him having an issue when DW4 got the nod.

Re: Completely agree. You can just tell that is the issue

Oct 7, 2018, 2:43 PM

Well in fairness, he had to sit until all the upperclassmen graduated before he got a chance to play. Oh, wait ...

I don't think some of them would be upset about KB

Oct 7, 2018, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Howard is upset about Bryant ]

if he weren't black.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

4*??? TL is a 5*

Oct 7, 2018, 12:33 PM

Oct 7, 2018, 12:40 PM

Which is why I and others, have been wanting some statement wins. You can't impress people who really don't know you . .when you win by small margins. You need some style points with the system now. Yesterday was a great start!

After he picked Mich to win the NC, he lost all respect.

Oct 7, 2018, 1:05 PM

nm

Re: After he picked Mich to win the NC, he lost all respect.

Oct 7, 2018, 2:39 PM

He's a big homer for the Big10.

Oct 7, 2018, 2:12 PM

He wasn’t really wrong, but he lost his credibility when he feigned ignorance in acting like he didn’t know Jeff Scott’s name.

Oct 7, 2018, 3:26 PM

DH thought the coots would win the SEC East. Enough said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic