Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deshaun Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,216

Deshaun Watson

Jan 8, 2021, 2:32 PM

The entire "they didn't ask me so I'm mad" story doesn't strike me as something that fits Deshaun's personality.

I have a different idea on his reasoning.

I think he wants out because he knows the franchise is stuck at the bottom for at least the better part of his prime.

I do think he would have like to get some say-so after he was told he would get it.

Mostly though, I think either he realized, or somebody close to him realized, that this is the perfect story to run with to make the organization look like they did something personal to him that makes him want out.

I think JJ Watt's comment on "wasting one of your years" is very telling as to how those two players are thinking about their time in Houston.

Both guys want to win in the postseason and know they have a small window in the careers to accomplish that goal.

Watt was already rumored to want out during the middle of the season.

I think this "they did me wrong" approach is an easy way for Deshaun to make it look like he has lost trust and now he has a reason to demand to be traded.

Anybody in their right mind would want out of there, but he needed a reason to make it public.

McNair gave it to him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They told him he would have some input, get to talk with

Jan 8, 2021, 2:38 PM

potential candidates and then turned around and hired another guy from the Pats, without talking to DW about it and he finds out on Twitter...He is genuinely pissed about the doubletalk

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They told him he would have some input, get to talk with

Jan 8, 2021, 2:41 PM

Yes I know how McNair screwed up.

I do understand that Deshaun would be upset about that.

It just seems a little out of the norm for him to blow it up and make it this big in the public unless he is jumping at an opportunity to use this issue as a way to get out without him looking like the bad guy.

If this doesn't happen and he demands a trade, like most would want to, he looks like somebody who isn't willing to stick around when things are bad.

Now this gives him a great reason to file for irreconcilable differences and want to part ways.

Jan 8, 2021, 3:04 PM

It's a business. If he doesn't like how the business is being run and wants to work somewhere else then he should do so.

Jan 8, 2021, 3:05 PM

I'm not disagreeing with him wanting to get out of Houston.

I am saying that this situation gives him the perfect chance to get out without looking like he is running from a bad situation on the field.

He has no offensive line, who would blame him?

Jan 8, 2021, 5:23 PM

Sacks by Year
2017 - 19
2018 - 65 - led NFL
2019 - 55 - led NFL
2020 - 49 - 2nd in NFL

Re: Deshaun Watson

Jan 8, 2021, 3:18 PM

He is trying to leave Houston. Him blowing this up is a way to help his cause.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 3:43 PM

I'm going to disagree with you about this not fitting Watson's personality. Deshaun is growing into being not only a leader for the Texans, but the entire NFL. As a player he is finding his voice and using it to initiate change. When McNair came out and said Watson would be included, it made the statement that the Texans were going to be a players first organization. They have not had that reputation in the past, nothing is more evident of this than Hopkins asking for a raise knowing this would lead to a trade. So McNair including Watson was intended to show a culture shift in the program.

Obviously that shift is not occurring and the faults might not all be on Bill O'Brien. If Watson was to remain silent, publicly he would be held somewhat liable for the hire, but more importantly amongst NFL player and GM circles it would make a statement that owners can say whatever they want publicly and face no repercussions from players when their actions take a different course. By doing this he is proving the value of his voice not only within Texans organization but throughout the NFL.

Also there has been a little too much noise around the Texans failing Watson for a trade to be the actual play. Between the Hopkins trade, Watt's leaked apology, this now this McNair fiasco, it is seems like he is trying to rile up fan support and aggravation to force cultural change. I don't envy the road ahead of him, but he's a great player and I have the upmost faith in him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 5:12 PM

What Tmatt said...this NOT a ploy, but an effort to hold Texans ownership accountable. Lord knows they let O’ Brien run the organization into the ground. Fans sometimes do not understand the ticking clock for players in their prime years. JJ and Deshaun will be done this time 10 years forward. I’m with those two players 100% on this situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just to be clear, I agree with Tmatt.***

Jan 8, 2021, 5:14 PM

Nm

Jan 8, 2021, 5:40 PM

I'm happy DW4 got the big contract, but why take that deal if you want to leave Houston?

After the way they got rid of Nuk for basically nothing in return, they have few draft picks and a lousy defense.

Hope it works out for him wherever that is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 6:08 PM

With that kind of money you have to take the deal when offered. Or you could end up like Dak Prescott. If you don't want to be on that team you can figure out later how to get out. But you absolutely have to take that kind of money while its on the table

Jan 8, 2021, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Deshaun Watson ]

Pretty sure he got the deal 1-2 years earlier than Houston HAD to give a new one. Also I think he got it before Hopkins got traded.

He got TOP money and has to take that or risk getting injured behind the worst OL in the league and being worthless and missing out on $100M.

Jan 11, 2021, 7:10 PM

This story sure paints him in a bad light. IF he said it a lot of teams will stay away not wanting more problems.

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,216
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic