Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Deep thoughts over campaign commercials.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Deep thoughts over campaign commercials.

Oct 20, 2020, 1:05 PM

A non-partisan complaint. Last night, after seeing the 12,309th political ad during football, I thought how depressing it is that these candidates spend millions and millions--donated to them by people and corporations--to spread lies, hate, division, anger, fear, etc. on a constant basis until we vote.

I started wondering what good all that money could do for others in need. Yet this is what we have.

I don't have a solution. Just random thoughts, and it strikes me as a rather sad commentary on humanity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

absolutely***

Oct 20, 2020, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deep thoughts over campaign commercials.

Oct 20, 2020, 1:10 PM

smells like freedom to me

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having the ability to buy political influence kind of seems

Oct 20, 2020, 1:27 PM

like the opposite of freedom to me. I haven't looked at the numbers lately, but last figures I saw were that Graham and Harrison combined had raised somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-70 million for their re-election campaign. Not really sure what they've spent, but I figure it's a good chunk of that.

Yet, I haven't heard a peep about lowering my property tax burden this year from either of these asssholes, or any other sort of suggestion that might offer a real financial relief to people hurting due to COVID related things. So both are awash in cash, while thousands/millions of people are either ######, or well on their way to being, and the only solutions I see being offered are to spend more taxpayer money. That doesn't feel like freedom to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always wonder about someone that spends 90 Million to get

Oct 20, 2020, 1:30 PM

elected to a job that pays like $150K.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think our govt is entirely comprised of those people

Oct 20, 2020, 1:38 PM

From the top down. $35k per year state jobs require a Masters degree, yet somehow the pool of candidates is large. Granted, those candidates may have the intelligence of a squirrel, but they're qualified on paper, and that's all that matters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Having the ability to buy political influence kind of seems

Oct 20, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Having the ability to buy political influence kind of seems ]

how is a commercial buying influence

Re: Having the ability to buy political influence kind of seems

Oct 20, 2020, 1:35 PM

just think about how free you will be when commercials or elections are not necessary

It's not about the commercials, it's about the huge sums of

Oct 20, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Having the ability to buy political influence kind of seems ]

money being raked in by these morons while they play Sim City with our society. I think the optics are particularly bad this year with the COVID lockdowns, if I had a bar or restaurant that had been forced out of business and I got to read where Jamie Harrison spent $12 mil on advertisements I'd be particularly salty. I can't open my business but these clowns can spend millions in advertisements and jet set around the country.

But to the buying influence aspect, this kind of money is not being donated with no strings attached. They aren't pulling in $60 million from Grandma's and Grandpa's $300 donation.

Re: It's not about the commercials, it's about the huge sums of

Oct 20, 2020, 1:50 PM

i agree, but not sure what we can replace it with without restricting somebody's freedom

Re: It's not about the commercials, it's about the huge sums of

Oct 20, 2020, 2:16 PM

Citizens United case had the chance to stop it, and no, that wasn't about free speech. It was about strengthening the plutocracy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Considering that legislation sets it up...

Oct 20, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Deep thoughts over campaign commercials. ]

So that the financial political power is in the hands of only a select few, it's quite the opposite of freedom. But we already know you don't really support that.

Oct 20, 2020, 1:29 PM

Same with the media

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they spread more disinformation than the Russians***

Oct 20, 2020, 1:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

When I see the numbers that the political campaigns

Oct 20, 2020, 2:03 PM

are hauling in, I cringe. It just seems like too much.

Re: When I see the numbers that the political campaigns

Oct 20, 2020, 2:07 PM

looks like an engaged society to me

Yeah, I understand the freedom aspect of it.

Oct 20, 2020, 3:32 PM

People should be free to do with their money what they want. I just wish it wouldn't take that kind of money to run for elected office.

That money creates local jobs in TV, radio, printing, etc.***

Oct 20, 2020, 2:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That money creates local jobs in TV, radio, printing, etc.***

Oct 20, 2020, 4:20 PM

this election may have saved a few papermills

abc, nbc, cbs, msnbc, cnn, and every newspaper

Oct 20, 2020, 2:25 PM

is free advertising for Biden/against Trump. Add in tech censorship

Figure out how to deal with that and I might agree.

But ya, the amount of money spent on Presidential campaigns is obscene.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, and that doesn't have to do anything with the OP.***

Oct 20, 2020, 2:32 PM

i sure does. but whatever. i aint got time for a long thread***

Oct 20, 2020, 2:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2020, 4:24 PM

Oct 20, 2020, 4:28 PM

"ban all campaigning or severely limit it"

Oct 20, 2020, 6:27 PM

Oct 20, 2020, 8:51 PM

it is tough to believe that there is anyone, still sitting on the fence, that a commercial or paper flyer would sway

the choice has never been clearer

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic