Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo the Prophet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Dabo the Prophet

Jan 17, 2021, 5:35 PM

I remember how excited I was for the 2011 recruiting class. We had recruited fairly well under Bowden, but this was the first time I saw stars galore. 2 5-star LB's, Sammy Watkins, and a plethora of 4-stars left me excited for the future. Look back and remember this great class!

Clemson Football 2011 Recruiting Class:
https://www.tigernet.com/2011-Clemson-Football-Signees

I remember reading through the bios of every one of these guys. And I remember paying close attention to BJ Goodson's profile. Not because I had followed his career or because he was highly heralded, but because he was from small town SC like me and he was following the footsteps of one of my favorite Tigers, Levon Kirkland from little ole Lamar HS. I remember being intrigued by a quote from Dabo that Goodson might be the best LB in this class. With Tony Steward, Stephone Anthony, and even a much higher rated LB from the state of SC, Lateek Townsend… that really seemed like a stretch.

TNet reflection of the Coaches' high regard for Goodson:
https://www.tigernet.com/story/BJ-Goodson-The-best-linebacker-Clemson-signed-in-2011-9394

Well… the coaches were right… Goodson may not have been the best of them as a Tiger (although he was very productive), he has certainly turned out to be the best pro… and and probably our best pro LB since Levon Kirkland himself. Anthony Simmons had moments and Isaiah Simmons is just getting started, but Goodson has put in 5 solid NFL years and is thriving in Cleveland.

Hats off to BJ! And hats of to our coaches, particularly Dabo in seeing the priceless material that just needs to be refined. And btw, Adam Humphries and Grady Jarrett were essentially afterthoughts in that same stellar 2011 class.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo the Prophet

Jan 17, 2021, 9:09 PM

It's interesting to note that we recruited quite a few three stars OL who all did well. Some were stars at Clemson (Eric McClain) and others made it to the pros; so much for not being able to develop OL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 9:27 PM

That kinda caught up to us this year though.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 9:24 PM

Didn't do too bad in 12, 13, and 14 either but seems we've either missed or haven't developed since. What confuses me is we've gotten a good many that are graded 97+ which usually means immediate impact (Bentley - just to name 1) that's still not in that 1 rotation.

But if memory serves me correct, the guys that stuck around for 4th year developed at the next level better than the ones that left early.

Great post!

Jan 17, 2021, 9:34 PM

It’s pretty scheme dependent, but I wouldn’t sleep on Bentley, WLB is a deep position group. He’s the most talented LB we have, but BV really seems to like his guys road tested before he fully hands the reigns over.

Jan 17, 2021, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo the Prophet ]

It's A LOT harder to get on the field now than it was in 2010-2015. Recruiting has skyrocketed since Dabo's first few classes and while there are still lower rated guys who see the field over much higher rated guys (McFadden and All-American Nolan Turner are examples) but the overall team talent level is light years from those early Dabo years… and it continues to grow. Excited about these coaching changes too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 2:11 PM

Thank you both. That helps a bunch.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:17 PM

No problem, but you have a great point. Dabos program is built on dedication, trust and development. Dedication from the player, development from the coach and the trust that grows between them. If our front 7 on defense dedicates to this team next year they are going to be incredibly scary.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo the Prophet ]

Carman always seems to grade out highly but when I watch games he routinely gets us penalized and I have seen him get beaten quite a few times this year.

I had always said that Grady Jarrett was going to be

Jan 18, 2021, 1:51 AM

the guy that was going to rise from after thought to star. When we offered him, I kept hoping that uga would not offer because that would have made his recruitment a battle. GJ was so much more deserving of greater recruitment, but i'm glad it worked out for us!
Humphries was no surprise to me, and was dumbfounded with a few posters insinuating that Humphries was insurance that we get Charone Peake signed... I never doubted that Hump would be his own man and that we would be glad to have him.
I was most disappointed FOR Tony Steward because he came in with a knee injury and never really hit his stride, he had flashes but that was the guy that I thought would be Anthony Simmons like if only he could have had all of his health.

I had hoped that BJ would develop much like Levon Kirkland and he surely did, being just as valuable to the team as Stephone Anthony but SA got the press because he was expected to be a star.

Great memories about that class for sure!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And whats a good lesson for us all...the bottom of this list

Jan 18, 2021, 8:29 AM

is the cream of the crop at least as far as NFL prospects are concerned. (Grady (2.5 grade), Adam Humphries (2 star grade) and BJ Goodsen (3.02 grade.)) All the big names up top didn't make it or at least not for long except Sammy.

Re: And whats a good lesson for us all...the bottom of this list

Jan 18, 2021, 2:10 PM

That was kinda my point when I posted above. We have much more top graded guys 4 - 5 grade that for whatever reason aren't translating that raw talent and developing... LB, CB, S etc. Just interesting how that works out.

Jan 18, 2021, 7:57 PM

I see someone called Grady Jarrett (2 *). Whatever happened to him?

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic