Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson tennis falls to No. 1 UNC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,165

Clemson tennis falls to No. 1 UNC

Feb 27, 2021, 8:43 AM

CLEMSON, S.C. — The Tigers (5-5, 1-2 ACC) fell 4-0 on Friday to top-ranked North Carolina (7-0, 1-0 ACC). After a promising start to singles play which saw Clemson win four of six first sets, the Tar Heels stormed back to take the victory and improve to 6-0.

Despite a hard fought-battle that put the Tigers in position to take the doubles point, the Tar Heels’ No. 6 ranked doubles pair held on to win line one 6-3, and ultimately, North Carolina clinched the point on Court 3, 7-5. In singles play, Teodor Giusca came out firing, winning the first set 6-1 over the nation's no. 55 ranked player, but ultimately dropped his matchup, 6-1, 2-6, 2-6, which clinched the match for the Tar Heels. Carlos Kelaidis, Spencer Whitaker and Jorge Plans Gonzalez also earned first-set victories, though their matches were abandoned.

Of Note:

The loss drops the Tigers to 2-21 against top-ranked opponents, their last win over a No. 1 ranked team came against Pepperdine in 1986 --Head Coach Robbie Weiss was a member of that Pepperdine squad
The Tar Heels extended their all-time series lead over Clemson to 55-27
Up Next:

The Tigers return to the Duckworth Family Tennis Facility on Sunday to take on the Duke Blue Devils. First serve for the match is slated for 1 pm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I figured this was the outcome once T_I_P stopped reporting score updates early.

Feb 27, 2021, 9:24 AM

I want us to hire an awesome coach primarily for him. The guy loves tennis and has been disappointed with our program for a while now. He needs some tennis joy!

~JKB

haha thanks

Feb 27, 2021, 4:56 PM

The "building" years are getting pretty tiresome. Just 2 NCAA tournament appearances (one of which was when i was team manager) since 2007 when Kriese left is just unacceptable.

The new facility should help in theory. Honestly this result vs UNC wasn't the worst as we were competitive on several courts against the #1 team even though UNC did rest their #1 player.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,165
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic