Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson History: Part 6
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

Clemson History: Part 6

Apr 25, 2012, 9:06 PM

Some of you might remember that I started a series about Clemson history in January. Unfortunately I got sidetracked with classes and haven't been able to post much. Fortunately I found myself with some free time today so I will tell you about the Tillman Hall clock tower.

When Tillman Hall was first completed in 1891, it was designed with a tower and four clock faces. Unfortunately, the college ran out of money when the building was first completed and was unable to place a working clock or bell system. To remedy the issue, cadets were instructed to place plywood over the empty clock faces and paint them white with hand in different positions in all four directions (this way at least one of the clock faces would be close to right). In 1900, trustees asked university president Henry Hartzog to investigate finally placing a working clock and bell system. The college had two offers for the job--one by the Seth Thomas Company for $635 and another by the Meneely Bell Company for $500. To the chagrin of the trustees, both quotes were out of their price range and the planks remained. Finally in 1906, trustees allocated the money to place a real clock and bell system. The McShane Bell Foundry made the bell in the key of F. Today, the bell rings every 15 minutes and has a variety of songs played on it.

Songs played on the Clemson carillon can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CUCarillonneurs

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks good read. Forget to login before TU.***

Apr 25, 2012, 11:14 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic