Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Classic Frank Howard Story on a slow day....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,702

Classic Frank Howard Story on a slow day....

Apr 22, 2012, 1:30 PM

Lou Sahadi wrote this funny story about Howard's orange phone:

Howard likes to tell of the time he visited Bryant in his office. He saw a red phone and

asked Bryant what it was for. Bryant told him it was direct to God.

"You mean I can call God?" asked Howard.

"Sure can," answered Bryant.

"How much would it cost?" wondered Howard.

"Only about $20," replied Bryant.

The next year Bryant returned the visit to Howard at Clemson. He spotted an orange

phone on Howard's desk.

"What's that for?" inquired Bryant.

"That's a special phone to God," remarked Howard.

"How much would it cost to call from here?" asked Bryant.

"Doesn't cost a thing," exclaimed Howard. "Around here that's a local call."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love him***

Apr 22, 2012, 2:18 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No HC like him EVER in College ranks & I got to interview...

Apr 22, 2012, 2:51 PM

him couple times while Sportswriter with The TIGER student newspaper back in the early to mid 60's...and then met him outside Athletic Center on a warm Spring day in 1988 while he was racking up dried grass from the curbs in the parking lot...and he told me about the Easley By-pass from Greenville being "his road" since he told SC Hwy Patrol to make the first trip to Clemson in 1960 by the Gamecocks a nightmare (worst than it would be normally)...and eventually their 1%'ters (big #### attorneys, bankers & legislators) would raise some state money for a new multi-lane road from Cola to G'ville...and sure enough it happened just as he "planned" it. Ha! What a guy, and he loved Clemson College so much.

Go TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No HC like him EVER in College ranks & I got to interview...

Apr 22, 2012, 3:15 PM

Met Coach Howard in Raleigh airport. He had been to an ACC meeting(where else) in Chapel Hill and we were both going to Washington,DC. I introduced myself and we sat together on the flight. During the flight he said," You are a first class guy. I want to thank you for walking up and introducing your self. You would be surprised how many people come up to me and say 'Hey, Coach. Do you remember me?' " Then he said, " I always would love to have said, ' Hell no, why should I remember you!' "
Told some interesting stories about recruiting and the Sugar Bowl against LSU. Said practice had been so bad for the Bowl game that he didn't give us a change to be in the game and then the team came out full of fire and almost beat the No 1 LSU team.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny dude

Apr 22, 2012, 3:07 PM

Thanks for sharing

Re: Classic Frank Howard Story on a slow day....

Apr 22, 2012, 4:23 PM

I was a student at Clemson in the 70's. I went to a ball game 1 Sat. and was busy talking to one of my friends I wasn't looking and knocked into an older gentleman. It was Coach Howard. I quickly apoligized for running into him. He said " son when I was younger I hit alot harder than that."

And, Coach Howard liked to call people..."Buddy". ***

Apr 22, 2012, 5:41 PM

Go TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Classic Frank Howard Story on a slow day....

Apr 22, 2012, 4:48 PM

Here's another one:

In 1976, we were eating Sunday brunch at the Holiday Inn near the lake. Four guys(3 average size and 1 BIG guy) from A6(Annex) Johnston Hall were enjoying a wonderful meal when in walks Coach Howard and Bob Bradley.

Howard comes right over to the table and says: "How you boys doin'?

We responded: "Fine Coach. Good to see you."

Howard: "What'd you boys have to eat today?"

We responded: "Fried chicken, Mac 'n cheese, some green beans and ..."

Before we could finish our sentence, Howard blurted out:
"... And a bail of Hay !!!"

Coach Howard was a "piece of work".

At 80 Frank mailed me Score Card Newspaper to join since he

Apr 22, 2012, 10:53 PM

got cut from selling it to subscribers. Always working his butt off and involved in college sports, especially football.

Go TiGERs!

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,702
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic