Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another advantage to having a tall QB in Stoudt next year,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Another advantage to having a tall QB in Stoudt next year,

Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM

other than obviously being able to see his receivers better, will be his ability to avoid sacks by seeing the field better and being able to throw the ball away. which was one of Boyd's weaknesses.

Boyd couldn't see the whole field at times and took too many sacks. He hardly ever threw the ball out of bounds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why Logan Thomas is so effective.***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:09 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Logan makes bad decisions and can't throw very well***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea… but he's tall!***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:21 AM

Re: That's why Logan Thomas is so effective.***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:16 AM [ in reply to That's why Logan Thomas is so effective.*** ]

at what, making sammiches in dimwitch's kitchen? he CAN reach the top[ shelf....

Heather?***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:09 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another advantage to having a tall QB in Stoudt next year,

Dec 20, 2013, 11:10 AM

I'm not a qb height believer. TB is 6-1 and Cole is like 6-4.

Lets say the heighth difference is as much as 5- 6 inchesd. I dont see how that materially impacts ability to see. it is passing lanes and moving slightly in the pocket if you need to in order to see.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It all helps though. I think the key question is whether

Dec 20, 2013, 11:15 AM

you'd rather a QB be tall or short. That's pretty obvious whether it's QB or WR or LB or DB or DL or OL.

Ask Drew Brees***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:14 AM

There are exceptions for sure. Make Brees 4 inches taller

Dec 20, 2013, 11:17 AM

and he'd be better.

This doesn't mean Stoudt will be better than Boyd just that he'll be better at certain things.

I'm a big believer in QB height to an extent

Dec 20, 2013, 11:17 AM

Guys like Brees and Wilson make up for their height with impeccable footwork. They put themselves in sight lines between the OL to command the whole field. Particularly I think it effects the shorter passing game. A shorter QB's has a more difficult flight path to throw over a 6'5" lineman. The greater arch means more time in air and longer for the defense to react. Not something you want when throwing shorter passes. I think that's why we rarely saw Tajh throw short passes over the middle or many check downs to RBs.

Re: I'm a big believer in QB height to an extent

Dec 20, 2013, 1:07 PM

That height difference can also mean less batted balls and less ajustements on the throw.

It's not to say short QBs can't be great, but it's an advantage tall quarterbacks have. That's going to help us a lot with Deshaun Watson too IMO.

I think the tall thing is very over rated, at least when

Dec 20, 2013, 11:30 AM

it comes to seeing the field. Any advantage a 6-4 guy has over a 6-1 guy in this regard is negligible. Sure, a guy 7' tall would have a significant advantage over a guy that is 5' tall; but 2-3 inches makes little difference.

Being taller is an advantage in some ways, all other things being equal, but they rarely are. It is one of many factors that make a good QB, and is pretty far down the list as far as I'm concerned.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Many of those passes that were thrown just over the WR's...

Dec 20, 2013, 11:34 AM

head that landed out of bounds were just that. They were thrown away. That wasn't an accident, WRs were covered and he didn't risk getting picked.

Boyd did have trouble seeing over the linemen at times. He also bailed out of the pocket when he could have stepped up a little and gained a little more time.

The thing I saw that hurt him most was freaking out and deciding where he was going to throw the ball before it was snapped. He decided he didn't have time to go through progression before the ball was sapped. Many times this didn't turn out well for us. The 4 and 16 play against LSU was one of the exceptions. Many times he didn't have time to go through his progressions and many times he correctly went to his outlet on the hot route. He was a great quarterback, probably the best we've ever had..

I doubt a first year starter will do as well as Boyd in the passing game. I seriously doubt anyone on our roster will match his passing numbers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt seems to move through his progressions more smoothly

Dec 20, 2013, 11:34 AM

and efficiently and that may have something to do with his greater height. Plus, he can throw over the middle with more confidence. He lacks the size and power in the run game, but, if he can put on some muscle this offseason, he can be very effective in what Morris will ask him to do.

Still think Kelly will get lots or playing time and force defenses to prepare for two quarterbacks with different strengths.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt didn't play under pressure this year.

Dec 20, 2013, 11:41 AM

Except for a few plays our opponents were beaten down before Cole took a snap.

That's not to say that he isn't able to command an offense but just that he's been tried very little. UGAy will be a huge test.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new UGA QB brings to the table in their bowl game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought you promised EOYOT you would not refer to them as

Dec 20, 2013, 11:51 AM

UGAy?

Maybe Crump needs to send you to sensitivity training.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I got a crow to pick with that little sissy.

Dec 20, 2013, 12:02 PM

He came on here and shamed me for being insensitive and then left. I've been deserted by a ton of women, one which weighed about a ton, but I've never lost a man before.

Short people generally

Dec 20, 2013, 11:35 AM

Don't believe in the tall QB theory. They like to think they or there son can make it the nfl

Re: Another advantage to having a tall QB in Stoudt next year,

Dec 20, 2013, 11:41 AM

Guess that is as good excuse as any.

I'm a short guy and even I think a taller qb is a good thing

Dec 20, 2013, 11:44 AM

You have to be an exceptional qb to be short and good. If you don't think "2-3 inches" is a big deal then you didn't see the pic in one of the T-net news updates with Tajh Cole and Chad all taking shotgun snaps in the same frame. They are much bigger than Tajh. When you have to throw over 6'5" men it can only help from a trajectory standpoint to be taller. Footwork as a whole was not Tajh's speciality. That's why I think he suffered in some areas. The areas that height isn't as big a factor like the long ball or sideline throws he was just as good if not better than everyone else.

Or the better comparison to Boyd, ask Russell Wilson

Dec 20, 2013, 11:46 AM

how much his height limits his ability to scope the defense. His career NFL completion is around 65% and well over 3k yards per season. He has gotten sacked quite a bit this season, but that may not be his fault entirely. I remember the Rams really pummeled him earlier.

Russel Wilson is much more athletic than Boyd

Dec 20, 2013, 11:49 AM

And has better footwork which is the key. You can't just say that this QB is 6'6" so he will be Tom Brady. For the record I love Tajh and hope he does great in the NFL. Just stating I think having a tall qb will be a good thing.

Sure. Height is an advantage. But with Stoudt you give

Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM

up a little on the footwork and especially the ability to scramble and run when you must. So it's all about the full package and less about one attribute. Stoudt's height gives him some extra ability over Boyd but it doesn't mean we will be more productive given other limitations.

Who knows, maybe Stoudt works on his muscle mass and running ability and surprises everyone, coaches included, some Spring and Fall.

Re: NEWS FLASH !!

Dec 20, 2013, 12:05 PM

Cole Stoudt has about as much of a chance to win the starting QB job as I do. Kelly will likely have the job coming out of fall camp, and yield to Watson by mid-year.

Why on earth would any coach bring in Watson midyear

Dec 20, 2013, 12:30 PM

unless the other QBs are tanking?

Re: Why on earth would any coach bring in Watson midyear

Dec 20, 2013, 12:53 PM

PLEASE TELL me this is some feeble attempt at humor because no one is this freaking stupid.

Nope. Not feeble. Not stupid. Care to throw any other

Dec 20, 2013, 1:41 PM

words at me?

Re: NEWS FLASH !!

Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: NEWS FLASH !! ]

A fully expect Stoudt to be our starter next year with Watson redshirting. I actually sort of think we could see Kelly transfer sometime in the future. I think he's a dude who wants to play but I'm not sure how well he's going to stack up to Watson in the future.

We'll see though.

Yeah early enrollees

Dec 20, 2013, 12:55 PM

Generally come in at the beginning of the year.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic