Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Football Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

ACC Football Recruiting

Dec 21, 2019, 10:12 PM

As we’ve witnessed in the last couple of years, the strength of the ACC in football has little impact on our success on the field or in recruiting. However, I was somewhat disappointed to see where the other ACC teams finished in recruiting. UNC was the only other team in the top 20. Tech and FSU were in the top 25 and Louisville was 36 (Rivals). FSU actually did well all things considered. Same for Tech. Satterfield did a great job on the field this fall, but 36 in recruiting is not going to get them to the next level. UVA and Va Tech also had poor classes. Clemson’s dominance in recruiting probably hurt the other ACC schools some but we are recruiting on a national level now. Even the lowly 4-8 Coots ranked higher than all but 2 ACC teams. As a CU fan, I would like see a more competitive conference. Be interesting to see what Norvell can do at FSU.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miami was the second highest and ahead of UNC***

Dec 21, 2019, 10:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Miami was the second highest and ahead of UNC***

Dec 21, 2019, 10:27 PM

You’re right BT! Went back and looked and they are 16. Of course Diaz looked lost this fall. Have never understood the love for him as a coordinator and certainly now as a HC. They are probably going going to finish in the top 20 in recruiting most years by default given all the local talent.

If you look at average player rankings the ACC is

Dec 21, 2019, 10:25 PM

1st (Clemson)
8th (Miami)
15th (Florida State)
23rd (NC)
30th (GT)
31st (BC)
33rd (Pitt)

Point is the conference did much better than what you are suggesting.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/all-teams/Football

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you look at average player rankings the ACC is

Dec 21, 2019, 10:40 PM

I didn’t take time to look at the average player rankings. Point taken. However, I am not confident there’s much on the field improvement based on those numbers and the coaching talent. At the end of the day, it has little relevance for us. Just makes for a more interesting fall.

Player Ranking is important

Dec 21, 2019, 11:01 PM

Remember - ACC schools are 1st and foremost proud academic institutions. The number of recruits you bring in affects your grade as much as where those players are ranked. So, ACC schools including Clemson two years ago sometimes may not have "gi-normous" classes!
Raider12 - remember the ACC supplies the NFL with the most players outside the SEC. So, there are good players in the conference just not a ton of them in one class necessarily. And, the practice of kicking a kids scholarship for a better player isn't something most ACC schools do. Unlike SEC schools who do it quite a bit.
Look back to the last 4 to 5 years to get a feel as to where some of the schools people think are good are. Proof some of these schools can sneeze and get a high ranking in a poll! Or beat directional school for game one and be hailed great! Or back!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Player Ranking is important

Dec 21, 2019, 11:14 PM

Very true

Re: ACC Football Recruiting

Dec 21, 2019, 10:28 PM

Good Post!

I am "defender one" when it comes to the ACC. But, there is no doubt that when late November early December hits many ACC schools turn their full attention to basketball. It's sad too because there are good players in the ACC. The ACC supplies the NFL with the most players outside of the SEC. So, the talent is there, why no success on the field? Not sure but how much you stress the importance surely has something to do with it.

If they are focused on basketball starting in September they aren't making waves and connections with recruits.
Mike London had UVA in the top 10 right before his departure. He was able to keep some highly rated Virginia talent in state. It fluctuates. What I see when I look at this list year after year is some teams people rank over other teams who "actually" annually out-recruit those "write in" ranked teams!

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Re: ACC Football Recruiting

Dec 22, 2019, 7:55 AM

Note you are only looking at the results of the early signing period. The non elite schools will sign a lot of players in February. Look for FSU to sign about 10 more players as one example

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only the top 20 count towards the rankings and FSU

Dec 22, 2019, 8:13 AM

has 17 right now. Adding 3 more will bump them up a bit but the next 7 will have minimal impact.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link. ESPN 300

Dec 22, 2019, 11:19 AM

Any chance some ACC schools could pick up some of the unsigned folks on this list?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2020/order/true

Seems the ACC will either get good talent or develop good talent. But, the teams aren't always the best!
This needs it's own thread: But, have you ever thought about the fact FSU never had to worry about this same thing? Was it because they had Clemson has the other team? FSU during their run never really had a lot of people questioning their SOS; not like Clemson is facing! Only thing I can think of is - they football world knew Clemson was lurking and could at any time be as good as anybody. So it kept the heat off FSU. What do you think? Needs it's own thread but asking here. For a friend.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic