Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Proposal for a Shortened Season.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

A Proposal for a Shortened Season.....

Aug 12, 2020, 5:30 PM

Been thinking about this during all the conference shenanigans this week...and if things don't work out for football this fall, maybe they could blow it up and start over with this abbreviated season in the spring or whenever this hypothetical postponed season could be played.

Take the following:

ACC (14)
Big 12 (10)
SEC (14)
Big 10 (12)
Pac-12 (12)
Notre Dame
BYU

That's 64 Teams. Throw them into a tournament. Double Elimination. If you win, you advance. If you lose one, you still have a chance to get back in if you run through the loser's bracket. Each team gets at least 2 games. Teams that go far would play 6 or 7 games max, maybe 8 in one scenario. If there's no fans...play them at neutral sites. Split the TV money. And then hope for a normal fall 2021 season.

Could you imagine the stakes?

Maybe Clemson starts off playing Purdue. Then in the second round they meet conference foe UVA. Then in the Sweet 16, there's Auburn. Then the Elite 8 kicks in, and they play Oregon. Then UGA in the final 4. Then Bama in the winner's bracket championship. Then someone like Oklahoma for the title after the Sooners emerge from the loser's bracket. The Sooners get us the first time...then we get a rematch since it's double elimination and take the title.

Yeah, I'd probably watch that.

I realize this leaves the Group of 5 folks out. I suppose you could expand the field and include them somehow...but the number of Power 5 teams + Notre Dame & BYU was a nice, tidy 64.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oops I forgot that the Big 10 has 14 teams.....

Aug 12, 2020, 5:34 PM

SO, I guess that means you just take the 64 Power 5 Conference teams and do the same thing, and tell Notre Dame to take a hike until they truly join a conference.

Re: Oops I forgot that the Big 10 has 14 teams.....

Aug 12, 2020, 6:02 PM

Here is why that will not work

You are probably asking several teams to play multiple games.
Let’s say our Tigers make it to the championship game. If you start this playoff in late match or early April theTigers would be playing in June (or later) for the title.

Don’t you think that would be a bit much for them to come back in August and start football all over again???

Spring ball will not happen

Re: Oops I forgot that the Big 10 has 14 teams.....

Aug 12, 2020, 6:10 PM

ALSO. Under that system Lawrence and ETN and others have played their last Tiger game. The draft is in April!

If it were possible....

Aug 12, 2020, 6:29 PM

I’d start this earlier. Play in south, west or in domes. No need to wait for April.
If no fans, just play wherever and make it happen.

I prefer fall...this is just a last ditch thought if fall got canceled. No way spring will be a full season anyway...might as well try something different.

Re: A Proposal for a Shortened Season.....

Aug 12, 2020, 6:24 PM

It's the thought that counts.
You did make it sound interesting. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Proposal for a Shortened Season.....

Aug 12, 2020, 7:18 PM

This isn't basketball.To many teams. To many games.No double elimination in basketball.
Season would take to long.How do you decide who plays who,and when?
Better no football if you think it would play out as you have your hypothetical season.
Besides,why should Notre Dame and BYU be included since they don't play in a conference.
Oh wait,Notre Dame does this season.
No,if you can't have a season where each of the conferences can/will participate,then suck it up and go watch the NFL explode.

It’s not that long....

Aug 12, 2020, 9:27 PM

Would take about 7 or 8 weeks.
Look up 64 team double elimination bracket online and you’ll see for yourself.
Find another parade to rain on.

Re: It’s not that long....

Aug 12, 2020, 9:40 PM

I just don't an asterisk beside the championship this year if we win it. Shades of Roger Maris.

Re: It’s not that long....

Aug 13, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to It’s not that long.... ]

It’s a great idea and I applaud you for coming up with such a thought. That would be tough on a team to handle with no open dates and the tremendous amount of travel time involved..easier to let the Tigers, Tide, Dogs and Buckeyes have a four team playoff.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic