Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 Facts for the Tigernet weak of heart...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

5 Facts for the Tigernet weak of heart...

Sep 29, 2019, 8:49 PM

Ok Tigernet - now that everyone's heart rate has gotten back to normal and all the chicken littles have finished posting, I thought I would try to bring some facts to light that some of the worry warts on here may not be aware of.

Fact 1: Only 4 teams out of the 130 FBS football teams have played four Power 5 opponents as of this week in the football season. Those four teams are Clemson, UNC, Stanford, and USuC. Here are the records of those four teams:
Clemson: 5-0 and has beaten all four Power 5 opponents
UNC: 2-3; has beaten only 2 of their four Power 5 opponents
Stanford: 2-3; has beaten only 2 of their four Power 5 opponents
USuC: 2-3; has beaten only 1 of their four Power 5 opponents

Clemson has already done something this season that none of the other 129 FBS football teams has done - gone undefeated against four Power 5 opponents. Furthermore, Clemson is the only team in the FBS to have 3 conference wins as of today. Do not discount this accomplishment in the first 5 weeks of a season.

Fact 2: If we are undefeated at the end of the regular season, the fact that we only beat UNC by 1 point will be even more irrelevant at the end of the season than it will be two weeks from now. We will be in the ACC Championship game and at that point it will be "win and we are in".

Fact 3: Polls, particularly the AP, Coaches, ESPN Power Rankings, Herbstreit's top 5, Klatt's top 5, Finebaum's opinion etc... are absolutley worthless in the big scheme of college football in the CFP era. Why anyone gets upset over these "polls" is beyond me. There is only one poll that matters - the CFP Committee (CFPC) poll that starts in November. Quite frankly, the only poll of the CFPC that matters is the last one on 8 December 2019. Who cares if we are number 1 or number 4 - none of the CFP games are "home" games and if we have done what we need to do to be in the top 4 rest assured Clemson will make it to the National Champ Game.

Fact 4: We are playing and have played typical September Clemson football that is within the norm of our run of 10+ win seasons. Our offense shows flashes of what it is capable of but too often looks inconsistent. The offensive inconsistencies usually clear up in October and by November we are dominating our opponents. As long as we are winning these early season contests the worry factor should be minimal as Dabo and company have a proven track record of being absolute juggernauts come the Championship run portion of the season (i.e. mid-October to the end of the season). If we follow our norm, come November, no one is going to be talking bad about Clemson's offense...

Fact 5: I hate to mention this, but we will eventually lose a game. Whether we lose a game this year, next year or 5 years from now it is going to happen. So.... for the love of the Lord, please don't lose your minds when this happens. It is a rare occasion to go undefeated through 15 potential games in a season. There is a reason we are the only team to have accomplished this in the modern era. Enjoy the fact that we have a team good enough to do it, but even with the great talent Clemson has, at some point some other team is going to have that special game where they just beat us on a particular day. At that point, be a man about it, congratulate the other team and count on Clemson using the experience to get better. Yes it could potentially ruin what we hope to accomplish in a particular season, but all need to remember we are an elite program and one loss is not indicative that the program is on the slide or is a "flash in the pan". We are Clemson and we have been and will continue to be a Champion contender for the foreseeable future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 Facts for the Tigernet weak of heart...

Sep 29, 2019, 8:56 PM

This^^^. Are you listening?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:58 PM

Well said.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:57 PM

Sep 29, 2019, 9:02 PM

I agree with every point except the first one. The stat is correct, but can we stop acting as if it means anything? One win was over GT who has lost to 2 non P5 teams themselves including scoring only 2 points yesterday against Temple. UNC also has a loss to a non P5 team, and Syracuse lost by 40 points to a Maryland team that’s been blown out twice since that game.

My take is that

Sep 29, 2019, 9:06 PM

Syracuse was looking ahead to us and didn't prepare for Maryland. They've looked good in all other games. UNC was also likely guilty of the same thing and looked past App State.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take is that

Sep 29, 2019, 9:34 PM

Syracuse gave up 33 points to Western Michigan the week after us, and only led by 5 points going into the 4th quarter of that game. Their other 2 games were against Liberty and Holy Cross.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: 5 Facts for the Tigernet weak of heart... ]

I agree with every point except the first one. The stat is correct, but can we stop acting as if it means anything? One win was over GT who has lost to 2 non P5 teams themselves including scoring only 2 points yesterday against Temple. UNC also has a loss to a non P5 team, and Syracuse lost by 40 points to a Maryland team that’s been blown out twice since that game.

All true but also reflect on what is happening around us. Alabama, Ohio State, UGA, LSU, Oklahoma have faced no more than three Power 5 opponents (most have only played 2). Do not discount the difference in talent of a Power 5 squad versus a non Power 5 opponent. Taking on a string of Power 5 opponents early in the season is much different than doing the same feat in October. Most teams are still figuring things out early in the season and is why so many conferences protect their teams (especially SEC, Big 12 and Big 10) and don't schedule a lot of multiple Power 5 matchups. Clemson went down a gauntlet and beat all comers - most by a large margin. GT is terrible, but so are the non-Power 5 opponents that these other schools have faced. Additionally, UNC got beat by an undefeated (4-0) Appalachian team that has good chance of taking the coots to the woodshed in November.

Lastly, if you have not watched Mack Brown's post Clemson game presser - recommend you do so. He stated that UNC had the best week of practice they have had during his tenure this past week and the results of that work showed on Saturday. He also had a remark about Trevor Lawrence that all need to hear - it is not what I consider typical coach-speak because the remark was unsolicited and added nothing to inflate UNC's performance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: 5 Facts for the Tigernet weak of heart... ]

Your logic is flawed .
If we'd have lost to GT or UNCheat it wouldn't matter about our record and the importance of being undefeated after 5 games ...but we didn't , so it is relevant in that we are on top of a dwindling heap of teams that haven't or couldn't do it ...or have played the stay-puffed schedule of the other " elites " .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 29, 2019, 9:03 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 9:09 PM

tabbyplague® Man, if only I could have given you more than one TU! So well said, "you should drop the mic"!

Great Post!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 9:18 PM

I’m with you my man. Great post!

Sep 29, 2019, 9:34 PM

Thank you for your post. I would like to add that this is the most unusual schedule start to a football season that I can remember for the Tigers. I am going to love partying on Bourborn Street with all of the Clemson faithful after we repeat. Going to laugh my butt off at all of the naysayers and negative talking heads. Do not ever doubt this team. Dabo has built a monster.

You’re in dangerous water here. Your pulse will be

Sep 29, 2019, 9:38 PM

Dropping because you make sense.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:43 PM

Wow; what a GREAT post!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP. Please. Stop this wordy assault.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:47 PM

College football Saturday’s are Fun. And there aren’t many of them. So we dropped a spot after a close game on an underrated opponent. And dropped position to a team that hasn’t even played a ranked team. So what. We have a great team and we will win the NC again. Why? Our only possible competition, Bama, has a lousy DEFENSE! We have a great one. And we always get better as the season progresses.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:12 PM

Win the next game.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:22 PM

This

Excellent and well said....thank you!***

Sep 29, 2019, 10:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also...2 conference road games already...

Sep 29, 2019, 10:34 PM

Some teams have not left the friendly confines of home or neutral field.....
Road games are harder to win.

Sep 30, 2019, 6:47 AM

Great post. Thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Best post I’ve seen in a long time. ***

Sep 30, 2019, 6:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post Tabby!

Sep 30, 2019, 6:57 AM

Sep 30, 2019, 7:08 AM

This

Sep 30, 2019, 7:15 AM

Quite right about the opinion polls and their meaninglessness . They're there to give the talking heads and experts something to do for the larger part of the CFB season .
Good post !

DB23

Sep 30, 2019, 7:35 AM

Nice post.
The problem I have however is in your last paragraph.
Yes, we will eventually lose a game, but the way the media spins anything to do with Clemson, a loss to any non-ranked team is a nail in our coffin come playoff time.
Clemson gets in as long as they win, but a loss damps those chances.
Lose an early game to say TAMU it might not hurt us in the poll that matters, but if we had lost Saturday at Chapel Hill, and this was the first week where the polls did matter, we would be at #5 looking in, not out.
Can you say the same thing if it had been Bama? I don't think so.

Oh the chicken littles aren't going to like this

Sep 30, 2019, 7:46 AM

LOL
Chichen Littles...I'm going to use that one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 7:46 AM

Bump and +1.

I guess, technically, you could refer to us as a flash in a pan IF the “little ol” pan fire caused a raging inferno that burned down several city blocks...

GO TIGERS

Sep 30, 2019, 9:54 AM

This post is overwhelming with logic and facts.

Heart not stronger

Sep 30, 2019, 11:23 AM

Not a big fan of point one, that was also made several weeks into season. Who cares how many "Power 5 opponents"? They're all weak teams. The descriptor of those teams doesn't matter a whole lot. It's all semantics. What's going to matter is how we play from here on out.

Nice job

Sep 30, 2019, 12:14 PM

There's been too many garbage posts since the UNC game.

We won, we only dropped 1 poll spot in the AP and coaches poll, everything is still in front of us. So let's just move on and enjoy the rest of the season.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:53 PM

Thanks for the great post! ????

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic