Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone still believe we ever see a 8 team playoff?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Does anyone still believe we ever see a 8 team playoff?

Nov 4, 2019, 2:29 PM

You’d have to think to make things fair you go to 8 Teams. Minnesota/Baylor could finish undefeated and miss the playoffs to two sec teams. One of which didn’t when the conference. Have to believe a expansion is coming

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the conference? You seriously need a tutor just help you post on the internet. ***

Nov 4, 2019, 2:31 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The cawks have only whon their conference whonce.***

Nov 4, 2019, 4:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

yes, especially if Bama is left out.***

Nov 4, 2019, 2:33 PM

Yes, if the money is right because money is THE thing......

Nov 4, 2019, 2:53 PM

that drives sports. You can count on it.

When a big boy gets left out twice in a row....

Nov 4, 2019, 3:32 PM

.... it will happen.

The reality is that if FBS were to make it "fair" you have to go to at least 11 spots to get all the conferences and an independent each year.

If not, kindly ask 1/2 of the league (Group of 5) to leave, insist the independents join a league and have 6 spots with 2 byes. 1 for each conference and an at-large...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone still believe we ever see a 8 team playoff?

Nov 4, 2019, 3:34 PM

An 8 team playoff is absolute lock. Its just a matter kf when. Probably 3 years from now at worst.

As I posted the other day: within 5 years.***

Nov 4, 2019, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean look at March Madness

Nov 4, 2019, 4:10 PM

The NCAA makes close to $900 million in revenue from the basketball tournament. And that doesn't even count all the gambling spent on MM. It only makes sense for the CFP to do a similar thing. definitely NOT as many teams. But an 8 team makes sense, even 12. When the next contact is up I believe in 2023, I'm sure there will be a change, if not earlier.

Source for money: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/march-madness-follow-the-money/

A lot more goes into a football game compared to basketball.

Nov 4, 2019, 4:26 PM

The way it is now, every game is a playoff game. Win and you're in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never. Unless they tied in with the conference championships***

Nov 4, 2019, 4:23 PM

nm

Nov 4, 2019, 4:24 PM

I think a better fix is to merge the 5 conferences into 4.. then the conference champ game is the round of 8 for the natty. Makes conf champ games matter and makes all of the conferences more balanced with 16 teams each.

Nov 4, 2019, 4:27 PM

It's inevitable, Matt Leinart had a solid proposal on Fox's College Pregame, where the 1-4 seeds get an additional home game for the first round match-ups, that rewards regular season excellence

Nov 4, 2019, 4:28 PM

Eight is coming, but it still won't be fair if Notre Dame gets a free ride thru to the Playoffs like last year.
They have to be forced to join a conference and play for the Title, or just do away with the Conference Championships all together and then take the top 8.
Of course, to do that you have to do away with one of two Football Subdivision games each team usually plays, and then have every team in the conference play 9 conference games, all of which would be played on a rotating basis among the schools. So one year Bama might not face an LSU or Georgia might have to play Bama in the regular season. The same can be said of the ACC schools once they become a dominant conference once again.
And what happens then those teams like LSU/Bama/Auburn and Georgia go undefeated, and then you have Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin and so forth. Maybe one of the Pac-1O schools does the same.
When you then stop to think, with no conference championship, to decide how do you determine which 8?
It's probably not ever going to play out that way, but you never know.

Nov 4, 2019, 6:01 PM

Undefeated Minnesota or Baylor or both would get in. Baylor would have to beat Oklahoma twice most likely as well as the rest of the conference once. Minnesota would have to beat Penn State, Wisconsin and probably Ohio State in the conference championship. They are not being ranked very high right now because nobody expects that to happen.

As far as an 8 team playoff, let's see how the NIL rule affects things. To me 4 seems to be plenty right now. After the NIL rule kicks in, I'm not sure we don't end up with even more separation between the haves and have nots.

Nov 4, 2019, 6:20 PM

I'm just waiting until they require a team to WIN their conference championship game, and have no more than 1 loss to be allowed into the CFP.

If I'm not mistaken, I think 5-loss UCLA can still win their division, and win the Pac-12. I think Pitt had 5 losses and played us in the 2018 ACCCG. Weird huh? They need a new rule. :)

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic