Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of Tommy's Ham House, ain't never been mahself
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 573

Speaking of Tommy's Ham House, ain't never been mahself

Feb 3, 2021, 12:38 PM

cause Greenville ain't even my town, but I just read on another board that Lewis BBQ is looking at opening their second SC location in that space in 2022. Having never partaken of Tommy's various ham products, this still seems like a pretty legit trade.

I'll wang up and glisten.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all of the discussions about Tommy's Ham House

Feb 3, 2021, 12:40 PM

have not even mentioned ham

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

No Ham, no House!? Is there even a 'Tommy'?!?!?***

Feb 3, 2021, 12:45 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They out of Charleston?

Feb 3, 2021, 12:41 PM

Cause if so that makes sense based on him saying he sold it to a Charleston restaurant group.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.***

Feb 3, 2021, 12:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Next question.....

Are they good? What's their target market?

I would love for some good Q to go in there but Greenville is too overrun as it is with beards and flannel so I'm praying you tell me it's not a hipster vibe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When Lewis opened in 2016, their target market was

Feb 3, 2021, 12:49 PM

"anybody who was interested in trying actual Texas brisket", since that was pretty non-existent in SC at that point. Prime brisket didn't exist in SC, in restaurants, at retail, anywhere. Costco in Charleston started carrying it, and I suspect Lewis had something to do with it.

Never noticed any particular brand of "clientele". It's just legit Q served on butcher paper. It's pricy, but I think it's on par with Texas prices and just reflects what Prime cow costs. Brisket is $21/lb. at last check. The green chile corn pudding is crime-worthy, and he's actually published that recipe.

Point for the straightforward answer, and I'd like to

Feb 3, 2021, 12:52 PM

apologize, as I detect some residual annoyance there from my reference to hipsters. Clearly I was not impugning you. You/We/whatever are 2000's hipsters...we are the good kind and were hipster before hipsters were cool...I'm clearly referring to these johnny come lately 20-teens hipsters. Jah bless.

P.S. You still have to try the brisket at that place in Phoenix near the airport. Holy grail of brisket. Not lying.

Little Miss, I'm guessing is what you're talking about?

Feb 3, 2021, 1:05 PM

They opened well after we moved, but I've heard about it ever since.

Yes Indeed.....last time I had it was 2015 or so, and

Feb 3, 2021, 1:26 PM

I got in line outside at 10:45, waited for about 45 minutes (at least they had misters spraying on you---it got up to 113 or so that day), got the brisket and darned if it wasn't worth the trouble. I don't even know how to describe it.

I've replicated that hatch corn pudding recipe

Feb 3, 2021, 12:56 PM [ in reply to When Lewis opened in 2016, their target market was ]

many many times (using poblano instead of Hatch) but otherwise staying true to recipe... good lord it's so good.

Family goes ga-ga over it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

pls to t-mell? Been looking for an additional side to

Feb 3, 2021, 1:33 PM

serve with my brisket this weekend. I think that may be it.

No need to be secretive, brother.... here you go.

Feb 3, 2021, 1:52 PM

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/hatch-green-chile-corn-pudding-3744404

Dang. Lewis BBQ was legit.

Feb 3, 2021, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Yep.*** ]

I preferred it to Home Team.

First real good brisket I had was in Austin at LA BBQ. As I understand it, LA BBQ in Austin and Lewis BBQ are one in the same.

Lewis was the pitmaster at La Barbeque. He also

Feb 3, 2021, 1:14 PM

helped Aaron Franklin stand up Franklin BBQ--it's arguable who was actually the brains behind that operation. That said, I've also heard John is a bit of an arrogant prick who won't give credit to anybody else, particularly on things where it's deserved. I never got that sense when I talked to him, but whatevs--I'm there for the Q, not the personality.

I've never met Tommy's wife, but I can't imagine she'd

Feb 3, 2021, 12:44 PM

appreciate being called that name.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If my ham house was that good, I'd own it proudly.***

I'm guessing the Lewis BBQ probably just edged out

Feb 3, 2021, 12:44 PM

Cracker Barrel for that property. Very sad day for those who like to sit in rocking chairs on the porch while waiting on a table.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard Cracker Barrel was in legal trouble after

Feb 3, 2021, 12:52 PM

Mackey had an aneurysm trying to untangle that horseshoe puzzle while waiting for a table.

"Just plain egg-no-ray-moose"***

Feb 3, 2021, 1:34 PM

I have one word for you:

Feb 3, 2021, 1:20 PM [ in reply to I'm guessing the Lewis BBQ probably just edged out ]

Adirondack. Chair. Two words when you put them together, because the first one is nonsensical without the second. And while true that a rocking chair is more enjoyable than an Adirondack (chair), Cracker Barrel doesn't have a pleasant oak to sit under, either. I sat in these here Adirondacks (those are chairs) with flow0440 and family back when it was acceptable to do that sort of thing.

I have eaten there...

Feb 3, 2021, 1:25 PM

was ridiculous how good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK smart guy.

Feb 3, 2021, 1:30 PM [ in reply to I have one word for you: ]

Tell me all about your beloved oak tree during a driving rainstorm while I'm sitting in my comfy rocking chair under the covered porch playing golf tee tic tac toe and staying dry.

Yeah, and I'd like to watch 19B try to walk up to the

Feb 3, 2021, 1:36 PM

hostess at Lewis BBQ and try to get a Best of Jerry Clower tape and a bag of maple nut candy. GOOD LUCK!!!

I bet there's not a single log cabin style birdhouse in the

Feb 3, 2021, 1:49 PM

Lewis BBQ gift shop.

Re: One thing not advertised

Feb 3, 2021, 1:22 PM

Tommy's was well known for assisting rehabbing individuals and give them a job. He seemed like a good hearted guy and genuine. Not sure what trading can be done for those things, but hey - I do love BBQ

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll chime since I've partaken in both

Feb 3, 2021, 3:34 PM

Lewis BBQ in that space may not make it but what do I know.. It's unfortunate but no one will want to venture out next the the largest homeless shelter in Greenvegas after dark.

Tommy's is a breakfast and lunch place and not open after 2:00pm.

Hometeam is opening up in a much friendlier location even though it's different BBQ than Lewis.

I would think somebody would want to keep the Tommy's business plan in place. Stax will be the king of breakfast after Tommy's closes.

That's what I'm thinking....

Feb 3, 2021, 3:44 PM

I'm wondering how busy Willy Taco would be if you had a 50/50 shot of getting rolled leaving there after dark.

As for Greenville breakfasts, I am looking for investors to go in with me and rebuild the Thunderbird Inn on 291 next to Krispy Kreme, and also revive their legendary sunday brunch buffet. My people will be in contact regarding where to wire the money to. Jah bless.

will you take

Feb 3, 2021, 4:21 PM

rolled coins? I hear they're in demand.

Replies: 28
| visibility 573
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic