Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can you save the California coast
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 609

Can you save the California coast

Jan 18, 2021, 9:13 AM

Play the game to see if you can save the coastline.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-climate-change-ocean-game/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give me 22 billion and ill give it my best shot***

Jan 18, 2021, 9:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

save the California coast lollers

Jan 18, 2021, 9:33 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why?***

Jan 18, 2021, 9:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

pretend you are a CEO

Jan 18, 2021, 10:17 AM

because they are 12% of the population and contribute 14.6% percent of our GDP.

but yeah, that is the last stretch of coast that needs saving from sea level rise. San Diego is the only major city that will feel any sort of impact.

What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant?

Jan 18, 2021, 10:24 AM

Remember flooding in the 70’s and 80’s. And Hugo did a number on Isle of Palms.

Just wondering if conditions are better now?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should be underwater already

Jan 18, 2021, 10:30 AM

By my calculations

Re: What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant?

Jan 18, 2021, 10:30 AM [ in reply to What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant? ]

isle of palms is about 10 feet above sea level along the main access road. Areas of Charelston are very vulnerable. A good storm surge would completely inundate the isle of palms. It will be a sand bar in 100 years at our current rate.

Also, sea-level rise is exponentially more dramatic around the equator, which is why Mumbai will be the first major to go. 4" of sea-level rise could mean 2 feet there, and 2" in London. Indian ocean will get it the worst. South Florida coast will change. I am working on mitigation projects along the inlets down here, all private-sector stuff for now. Climate change solutions will be a cash cow for those that course correct.

In SW FL both developers & DOT are currently impacted.

Jan 18, 2021, 11:56 AM

Huge storm water ponds and lakes are great for golf course architects.

New Bridges and coastal roadways are already being elevated.

Re: In SW FL both developers & DOT are currently impacted.

Jan 18, 2021, 12:49 PM

what they are doing down here is planning Man-made islands with caissons, and filling them with sand, then raising the roads behind them 10 meters. They are starting on the southern end of the river inlets which are constantly being washed away due to ersision and now is a 24/7 struggle with sand dredgers to keep the coastline intact. They are already doing this in Monico. it costs around 2 billion for every 1/2 mile of shoreline.

There will be a lot of po'd people down here that thought they had a coastal property, only to find out that the state sold the land right off their shorelines to a developer that is going to extend the coastline out and up. I imagine this will get around imminent domain and screw over wealthy coastal land owners.

Jan 18, 2021, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant? ]

Fun fact. The Atlantic Ocean used to be up to Columbia S.C.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah ... until dinosaurs made the ultimate

Jan 18, 2021, 2:27 PM

Sacrifice to defeat climate change

Poor bastages

Jan 18, 2021, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant? ]

yeah, before the last ice age, and Florida was completely under water as evidenced by all the poors having carports with crushed up sea shells for a driveway.

I just did a super high level design for mitigation methods

Jan 18, 2021, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant? ]

in Virginia Beach. 24,000 total horsepower pump station for storm water abatement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm about 150 yards from the ICW, and about 200 from the

Jan 18, 2021, 4:03 PM [ in reply to What’s the elevation of Charleston, Isle of Palms, Mt Pleasant? ]

Atlantic. I'm probably 6'-8' above sea level.

Down at the North end of IOP near on Waterway near Sparrow road, close to the marina, if it rains hard it takes a couple days for it to drain. that whole end will get washed away when we have another Cat 4+ hit us. The house we are in was one of the original JC Long houses, and was built originally in the 1960's. The neigbors have been here since the mid 80's and said they didn't get hardly any damage due to Hugo, so I assume the same with this house. He said it didn't flood on this street at all.

When I was in Mt P, we were about 150 yards from the east side of Shem creek. We were in a high spot, and our street was about 14' above sea level, according to the elevation maps, and my house, due to the land grade and raised slab, was about 18' above sea level. Water from Shem won't ever get near my old house, at least not in my lifetime.

This sounds like erosion .... not climate change.***

Jan 18, 2021, 7:58 PM

I saved them

Jan 18, 2021, 11:24 AM

added a rock wall to scare them then kept offering them money to move until they finally accepted it as the water rose

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't lost yet...

Jan 18, 2021, 4:34 PM

but one time my rock wall washed away three times and I had to raise taxes to buy people out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DOT be like:

Jan 18, 2021, 4:43 PM

We're just going to buy your house with a lowball offer and you cannot say no.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Replies: 18
| visibility 609
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic