Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
who was General Robert E. Lee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 737

who was General Robert E. Lee

Jul 16, 2020, 6:01 PM

I grew up IN Central, SC, just down the road from Clemson, for those that don't know the Upstate. I went to R.C. Edwards middle school and D.W. Daniel High. admittedly I probly slept through a history class or 2 or more, but I never really learned much about who Robert E. Lee was, other than a West Point grad, vet of several wars, and a brilliant strategist. I always seem to get the ideas that that he was a reluctant leader of the South, and was actually opposed to slavery itself (a states rights kinda guy).

This article (and others) paints a different picture

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:9009420680#:~:text=%E2%80%9CBetween%20owning%20a%20handful%20of,of%201862%2C%E2%80%9D%20he%20said.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

My Grandmother's (Mom's side) great great uncle...

Jul 16, 2020, 6:09 PM

or something like that. We never thought it was all that cool.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Want to know more about my Mom's side of the fam?

Jul 16, 2020, 6:17 PM

It's cursed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So....that short AP blurb counters history books

Jul 16, 2020, 6:09 PM

Again, you cast yourself as the reluctant idiot...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So....that short AP blurb counters history books

Jul 16, 2020, 6:11 PM

thx for your astute opinions (*sarcasm)
I clearly said this article...

BUT just so you don't get all up in your feels about it. Here is a quick wiki search's info. I'll paste this part:

"Several historians have noted the paradoxical nature of Lee's beliefs and actions concerning race and slavery. While Lee protested he had sympathetic feelings for blacks, they were subordinate to his own racial identity.[60] While Lee held slavery to be an evil institution, he also saw some benefit to blacks held in slavery.[61] While Lee helped assist individual slaves to freedom in Liberia, and provided for their emancipation in his own will,[62] he believed the enslaved should be eventually freed in a general way only at some unspecified future date as a part of God's purpose.[60][63] Slavery for Lee was a moral and religious issue, and not one that would yield to political solutions.[64] Emancipation would sooner come from Christian impulse among slave masters before "storms and tempests of fiery controversy" such as was occurring in "Bleeding Kansas".[60] Countering Southerners who argued for slavery as a positive good, Lee in his well-known analysis of slavery from an 1856 letter (see below) called it a moral and political evil. While both Robert and his wife Mary Lee were disgusted with slavery, they also defended it against abolitionist demands for immediate emancipation for all enslaved.[65]

Lee argued that slavery was bad for white people but good for black people,[66] claiming that he found slavery bothersome and time-consuming as an everyday institution to run. In an 1856 letter to his wife, he maintained that slavery was a great evil, but primarily due to adverse impact that it had on white people"

History books said

Jul 16, 2020, 8:28 PM [ in reply to So....that short AP blurb counters history books ]

George Washington had wooden teeth

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who was General Robert E. Lee

Jul 16, 2020, 6:21 PM

“Although history knows him mostly as “the Rebel General,” Lee was a disbeliever in slavery and secession and was devoutly attached to the republic that his father and kinsmen had helped bring into being. He was, moreover, very advanced in his rejection of war as a resolution of political conflicts—a fact that has been almost entirely ignored by posterity.”

WRITTEN BY
Clifford Dowdey
Lecturer in Creative Writing, University of Richmond, Virginia, 1958–69. Author of Lee and others; editor of The Wartime Papers of Robert E. Lee.
LAST UPDATED: Jun 8, 2020

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the BS we were all talking about a few weeks

Jul 16, 2020, 8:14 PM

ago about being taught in school.

There were actual abolitionists in those days. They didn’t fight for the south.

Re: This is the BS we were all talking about a few weeks

Jul 16, 2020, 9:49 PM

Don’t care either way, just saying alot of historians have repeated that description. I believe those that say he anguished over the decision but went with his state. People can’t understand that in today’s terms, that people had a sense of “state-ism”.

why are we talking about a loser like Robert E Lee?

Jul 16, 2020, 6:25 PM

Sure, he did what he probably thought was right in his heart, but at the end of the day, he was a LOSER.

And we all know that the current landscape is all about #winning.

If you ask me, it seems most people who get butthurt about this kind of thing have ironically given Lee a participation trophy.

I'm purple.

Jul 16, 2020, 6:45 PM

Union soldiers on Dad's side of fam.

I'm red as can be

Jul 16, 2020, 6:51 PM

Both sides of the family are direct descendents of Civil War participants in the SC panhandle. I won't go into details, but the genealogy is literally in a scrapbook in my grandad's sitting room...old newspapers and all.

It's my responsibility to my future children to make them understand that fighting for a lost cause and losing isn't necessarily honorable. You can learn from it and it can be a catalyst to become better. But it doesn't make you a winner or a good person.

Most of us were yankees at some point.

Jul 16, 2020, 7:05 PM

us as in white people.

not in GA.

Jul 16, 2020, 7:49 PM

buncha convicts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol all these white folks just mysteriously showed up in GA

Jul 16, 2020, 8:18 PM

landed at River St on St Paddys day, had a parade, shat pants

Re: I'm red as can be

Jul 16, 2020, 8:00 PM [ in reply to I'm red as can be ]

Where is the SC panhandle?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

York, Lancaster and Chesterfield counties***

Jul 16, 2020, 8:21 PM

Yep, your fam just grew out of the ground there.***

Jul 16, 2020, 8:46 PM

You do know that a lot of Americans landed in the US

Jul 16, 2020, 9:29 PM

by way of the Virginias and Carolinas all the way down to South Florida and the Keys right? I'm not even sure what you're saying lol

Anyone with Irish blood now thanks their name is Kunta Kinte***

Jul 16, 2020, 9:31 PM

A lot compared to where?

Jul 16, 2020, 9:47 PM [ in reply to You do know that a lot of Americans landed in the US ]

Guess my people were already bossin yours around when they got there.

I think your Grandparent's lied to you to protest the Confederacy.

Jul 16, 2020, 6:41 PM

I find Lee interesting. I think my favorite book about him is Crucible of Command that parallels him and Grant. I don't think it's disputed that he had mixed loyalties towards his Country and State, and went with Virginia. He certainly wasn't an abolitionist though. His letters make perfectly clear that any dislike of his towards slavery was because he thought it was burdensome. He had no problem keeping slaves he inherited and viewed the races as unequal. It's a good thing we don't teach history using statues and monuments, because it's messy and complicated.

Jul 16, 2020, 7:17 PM

libs have no idea what facts are. They have redefined that term as well.

Jul 16, 2020, 7:25 PM

if only he was here and we could have Oprah or dateline interview him

####***

Jul 16, 2020, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: who was General Robert E. Lee ]

Replies: 24
| visibility 737
Archives - General Boards Archive