Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
we need a young energetic charismatic coach that can recruit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

we need a young energetic charismatic coach that can recruit

Mar 26, 2019, 1:53 PM

talent and sell the clemson brand.

is that to much to ask for?

go tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who fits that description?

Mar 26, 2019, 1:55 PM

Some specifics would be nice, such as:

-What age range do you consider young? 30s? 40s?
-How do you measure whether he is energetic or charismatic? Yelling? Technical fouls? Funny? Runs around on the sidelines?
-How do you measure his ability to recruit?
-How will you know that he can sell the Clemson brand?

I'd love to know who you have in mind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Serious Question, are you related to or in a physical

Mar 26, 2019, 1:59 PM

relationship with brownlee?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

What does this thread have to do with Brownell?

Mar 26, 2019, 2:00 PM

I didn't mention Brownell. You did.

Are you related to him or in a relationship with him? You seem to bring him up a lot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

LOL, it's a clear attempt to protect your precious...***

Mar 26, 2019, 2:00 PM

Shall I ask again in a different thread?

Or do you just want to answer the question?

Everything Brownlee related is very personal to you.

Also, this thread is about brownlee, hence the notion that we need a new coach in the OP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

I'm not protecting anyone.

Mar 26, 2019, 2:02 PM

As I've said before, I'm happy to discuss potential coaches in preparation for when we are hiring one next.

Anyone can say, "I want a coach who can recruit" or "I want a coach who is energetic," but it would be nice to know who fits that description.

Your actions on the board say different....

Mar 26, 2019, 2:03 PM

Again, very personal to you and makes me question if there's a relationship there...

Re: I'm not protecting anyone.

Mar 26, 2019, 2:52 PM [ in reply to I'm not protecting anyone. ]

Wenever the discussion of getting a new B-ball coach occurs, there are always a few posters who say "who are you going to get?" Here are a few names that I'd take a look at....

Former Head Coaches:
Steve Alford
Thad Mata

Current Power 5 Head Coaches:
Shaka Smart
Buzz Williams- I'd at least reach out.

Mid majors:
Jeff Boals
Mike Young
Eric Mussleman
Nate Oats

Current Assistants.
Micah Shrewsbury
Tommy Lloyd
Jon Scheyer

Thank you, this is helpful.

Mar 26, 2019, 2:58 PM

I think Steve Alford would be a fantastic hire. He has coached several teams at the major college level, recruits well, and is an outspoken Christian. I think he would be well received by fans, and provided he was given the support he needs, he would do well here.

Mata has obviously done well in the past also.

I like Buzz a lot, and agree it would be worth talking to him.

I'm not a big Shaka Smart fan at this point. If he failed at Texas, with loads more history, support, etc. than we have, then I don't think he would do well here. He is a great example of mid-major success not always translating to major college basketball.

I don't want to go the mid-major route or take the risk of hiring an assistant. Our basketball situation is unique, and we need someone who is a proven recruiter and winner at this level, not someone who we have no idea will be able to translate that success. There is a huge learning curve for someone stepping into the lead role of an ACC program. It could work out, but chances are, it won't.

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

leaving the notion of asst coaches out....

Mar 26, 2019, 4:53 PM

this sounds exactly like the hire that was made almost a decade ago for our program:

"don't want to go the mid-major route or take the risk of hiring an assistant. Our basketball situation is unique, and we need someone who is a proven recruiter and winner at this level, not someone who we have no idea will be able to translate that success. There is a huge learning curve for someone stepping into the lead role of an ACC program. It could work out, but chances are, it won't."

so, are you now acknowledging (totally in hindsight) that Brownell wasn't the right hire? I echoed this when the hire was made, and have always taken a "we shall see" approach because I love my alma mater and want only the best for it. I am not the AD but do have an expectation that that person will do a better job than me in the position. Unfortunately, I still don't think the AD made the right hire nor did he make a good decision to extend the contract with that exorbitant buy-out...

so, are you now acknowledging (totally in hindsight) that Brownell wasn't the right hire?

Re: I'm not protecting anyone.

Mar 26, 2019, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not protecting anyone. ]

Any chance Dawkins at UCF would give us a look? His
UCF team looked impressive.

Better question would be

Mar 26, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Serious Question, are you related to or in a physical ]

is his first name "Brad" and does his last name rhyme with "farewell."

See: Dabo***

Mar 26, 2019, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Who fits that description? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alford***

Mar 26, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Who fits that description? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My candidates would include Bobby Hurley, Hubert Davis,

Mar 26, 2019, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Who fits that description? ]

and Wojo.

Re: My candidates would include Bobby Hurley, Hubert Davis,

Mar 26, 2019, 3:17 PM

Wojo and Hurley make my stomach turn as candidates. Davis I could live with.

I hear ya, but supposedly they are really solid

Mar 26, 2019, 3:32 PM

high character guys.

I'd also look really hard at Christian Webster

Mar 26, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Who fits that description? ]

if we can't get a proven guy.

I think we can get a fairly proven guy if we're willing to throw some money. Which we already are paying Brownell on the higher end. So I think we'll easily pay the right guy 3 Million, which would put us in the Top 20 in the nation.

Re: Who fits that description?

Mar 26, 2019, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Who fits that description? ]

Thats not going to get us anywhere.

You're just going to say that person isn't qualified, available, right fit, etc.

Most of us didn't think Dabo was the right man for the job! The only question is:

Is BBown-L the right man for the job?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't think it is important to discuss

Mar 26, 2019, 3:37 PM

who we would want in our next coach?

Re: You don't think it is important to discuss

Mar 26, 2019, 4:40 PM

Nope. It’s a waste of time as I explained already.

Name a time when it was important for US to discuss who WE want as a fan base?

This is a trolls response to a troll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we need a young energetic charismatic coach that can recruit

Mar 26, 2019, 1:56 PM

Our basketball program is a dead horse?

We just lost two days ago and that sucker is already dead.

Yes. Our fans don't deserve a good basketball program.

Mar 26, 2019, 2:01 PM

Also, if you haven't done an exhaustive search, talking to your extensive contacts in the college basketball world and can't name someone that would fit your coach description how can you expect our $5 Million Dollar Athletic Director to come up with anybody.

Bottom line - Our fans need to lower their expectations and they need to better fans.

#triggered***

You have 30 posts in the last 4 hours and over a 100

Mar 26, 2019, 2:07 PM

in the last few days.

You might want to lay off the caffeine for awhile.

Hello....

Mar 26, 2019, 2:21 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic