Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Never liked the name NUK but wouldn’t think of asking for it to be banished.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Never liked the name NUK but wouldn’t think of asking for it to be banished.

Jun 15, 2020, 9:52 AM

Saying..

But with the banishment of two influential & historical SC names, guess this Nuk Guy can now say the bad Clemson word freely whenever he wants to in public.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but freedom of thought is another!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are embarassing yourself

Jun 15, 2020, 9:56 AM

Please post less sir

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are embarassing yourself

Jun 15, 2020, 10:16 AM

Hope you are holding other posters to this standard. The ignore feature is your friend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point

Jun 15, 2020, 8:19 PM

Thanks

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are embarassing yourself

Jun 15, 2020, 11:25 AM [ in reply to You are embarassing yourself ]

Hopkins has had an interesting history since he left Clemson. Many people have been bothered by him using Daniel High School in his introductions. How much if it was because of the current explanation is tough to say, but it does make him a controversial messenger for the issue. Read carefully that LBB calls them influential and historical. Though there is less evidence of that for Tillman, nobody could argue that Calhoun fits that description. LBB does not defend any of their actions.

I think the point should be, do you ignore all of somebody's contributions because you don't like a small portion of what they did? For some people certain issues are absolute. For others like myself and possibly Bill there is more gray area, especially when referring to a name that most do not know the historical context of. I don't think that we should be criticized because we see this as a deeper issue than those who see it as a binary question.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS!

Jun 15, 2020, 11:26 AM

I don't understand why people can't appreciate the good someone does, even if the bad things they have done are things we disagree with.

It's a good thing Jesus doesn't hold our sins against us, to the point that nothing good we do (including accepting him as our personal savior) is acknowledged.

Both Calhoun and Tillman were very key figures in Clemson University's formation. That is why their names are on campus, not because they were for slavery.

And my final point, which seems to get lost in these discussions: times were different in those days. Slavery was very common, not just in the south, but most everywhere. As wrong as that was, it was the only way of life many people knew then. Judging someone then based on today's standards for behavior and "rightness" seems silly to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: THIS!

Jun 15, 2020, 12:23 PM

Jesus fully acknowledges our sins. "Go and sin no more." Not, "Go and live your best life. Oh, and the stuff I'm saying? Just trying to sell movie rights!"

Re: THIS!

Jun 15, 2020, 1:21 PM [ in reply to THIS! ]

It’s not a matter of Calhoun and Tillman being slave owners. It’s a matter of the statements they made about the black race, how unintelligent they were, how they didn’t deserve freedom. They did not want the black man to be free, because the black man would “lust after white women”. John Calhoun was a staunch secessionist and would have gladly seen the United States ripped in two to keep slavery.
Ben Tillman took part in lynchings and executions. The Hamburg Massacre. He literally had blood on his hands. Men like this are a part of history, unfortunately, also Clemson history. But do they deserve to have a prominent building on our campus named after them? Do they deserve to have to have our Honors College named after them? BTW, Tillman was originally Main Hall, not Tillman Hall. Honors College was not Calhoun Honors until 1980’s.
With your logic, Hitler built the Audubon, so he deserves some recognition. That was a good thing...

Tillman was a mass murderer

Jun 15, 2020, 7:27 PM [ in reply to THIS! ]

Pretty sure that’s been seen as bad ever since Cain killed Abel

To be clear lbb added that influential and historical part

Jun 15, 2020, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: You are embarassing yourself ]

After that reply

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never liked the name NUK but wouldn’t think of asking for it to be banished.

Jun 15, 2020, 9:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

OK not to like a name

Jun 15, 2020, 10:03 AM

It's probably more the actions that would get a name "banned"

LBB-noticed you added to your message after I posted mine. Originally you basically said you didn’t like his name and then added the influential stuff later. Jus’ sayin’ no ones names got banned because the names weren’t liked. From there, I’ll agree that everyone has the right to think for themselves.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Well, Nuk Hopkins is a product of SC public schools.***

Jun 15, 2020, 10:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

So am I, and I suspect a large portion of Tnetters are as

Jun 15, 2020, 12:19 PM

well. Although, I suspect the public school system has changed, and not for the better, since those days when I had to hike twenty miles uphill both ways in the snow to get there. :) But, I will say this. Public school, private school, high school, college, or tech school, will only grant you the learning that you are willing to absorb. Meaning, you will get out of it what you put into it. When it comes to college especially, teachers will tell you real quick that they are not there to spoon feed you, it's up to you to learn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pro tip - delete your post bill***

Jun 15, 2020, 10:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Never liked the name NUK but wouldn’t think of asking for it to be banished.

Jun 15, 2020, 10:40 AM

I don't personally care for the statue of Lenin, which has remained remarkably unscathed through all of this, in Seattle. However I wouldn't be in favor of an angry mob of all the people descended from those whose deaths he caused ripping it down in the middle of the night. That's the difference between the left and the rest of us.

Jun 15, 2020, 10:53 AM

Nuk was never a tyrant or a slaver and therefore his name should elicit no anger from anyone. Your comment is dim, lightbulb.

America is a free country and we should not celebrate those that did enslave their fellow man in our country’s darkest days.

Jun 15, 2020, 12:17 PM

Who do you celebrate? It will be a short list of historical figures for sure. There were very few non slave owners prior to the war of northern aggression. And I sure hope you don't celebrate anyone in the last 60 years. No one there to be an example to follow.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:11 PM

I don’t live in the past. All pieces of the past that relate to people who championed, benefitted, or otherwise approved of the enslavement of other humans need not be celebrated. Change the bills, buildings, and knock down any statues.

Put yourself in someone else’s discriminated skin.

Just reread Dabo’s and our team leaders’comments.

Jun 15, 2020, 10:57 AM

Excellent wording and most importantly established proper context.

Coach Swinney and our team leaders are directionally aligned with my positions _ I will just default to what they said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never considered that...

Jun 15, 2020, 11:00 AM

thankfully

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"this Nuk Guy", his name is DeAndre Hopkins and he's done

Jun 15, 2020, 11:50 AM

more for Clemson and the surrounding community than you, I, and most on this bored ever will.

Why not cool it on these posts? You're quickly losing fans. You've bashed the peaceful protests and the 3000 that attended, you seemed to be waiting with gleeful anticipation for some kind of violence to start with your Clemson Cam posts. Are you going to start bashing DW4, TLaw, Dabo, Clements, BOT next?

LBB you're better than this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "this Nuk Guy", his name is DeAndre Hopkins and he's done

Jun 15, 2020, 12:22 PM

I don't live in the upstate so I have no idea what Nuk(e)'s contributions to Clemson and the surrounding communities happens to be but I would love to hear some of them. Maybe now that he has gotten what he asked for he can acknowledge Clemson as being the place that gave him the opportunity to play professional football.

His lack of saying "Clemson University" on Monday Night

Jun 15, 2020, 12:32 PM

Football does not translate to not acknowledging opportunities at Clemson.

Here are some examples. He's done MUCH more than this in Houston.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/texans-deandre-hopkins-donates-helmets-to-clemson-area-youth-football-program-C677ZWaZtU-aZC1M1gI5EQ

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2015/05/15/clemsons-deandre-hopkins-jarvis-jenkins-bring-youth-camp-hometown/27381875/

https://twitter.com/deandrehopkins/status/751837922144448512?lang=en

Re: His lack of saying "Clemson University" on Monday Night

Jun 15, 2020, 12:44 PM

Isn't he from the area? That's his home. Why wouldn't he help out in his home town. That's nice to know he does that. I've just never understood why he blows Clemson off other than the poop storm he started about changing building and program names. So now that he has accomplished that I think he should acknowledge the university that gave him his opportunity. He never has. And it's not just MNF.

Did you even look at the links?

Jun 15, 2020, 1:28 PM

All in Clemson/Central. I'm thinking you are a not very good troll.

Doesn't acknowledge Clemson? That's just patently false.

Discussion started back in 2003 among those that wanted names changed. Sorry it doesn't jive with your agenda.

Re: Did you even look at the links?

Jun 15, 2020, 1:51 PM

Donating materials related to football is not what is needed. The guy should be building and staffing a school for black youth if he really wanted to help. These tiny donations are probably using money he wiped his butt with...Also, giving backpacks is the same as federal welfare - breeds dependence, but gives you good tweet material.

These guys with millions of dollars of disposable income should be smarter with their money and invest in something that will last, like education.

Sheez man, REALLY?

Jun 15, 2020, 2:16 PM

He can do whatever he wants with his money. Just like you can with yours. How he chooses to spread goodwill should be taken for just that, goodwill.

I'm sure not everything he does with his money is public, but that concept may be hard for some to understand.

Pretty sure there are already staffed schools where he's from AND where he lives for all youths.

Re: His lack of saying "Clemson University" on Monday Night

Jun 15, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: His lack of saying "Clemson University" on Monday Night ]

BigPurdy said:

Isn't he from the area? That's his home. Why wouldn't he help out in his home town. That's nice to know he does that. I've just never understood why he blows Clemson off other than the poop storm he started about changing building and program names. So now that he has accomplished that I think he should acknowledge the university that gave him his opportunity. He never has. And it's not just MNF.

Clemson didn't "give" him anything. Stop with that nonsense. It was a mutually beneficial relationship. Hopkins earned his opportunity by becoming a high school standout and HE CHOSE Clemson to continue his education and possible NFL career. He earned his NFL opportunity by standing out in college. This idea that keeps getting thrown out like he was some charity case with no opportunities except Clemson doing his some sort of favor is pretty dispicable. Clemson needed him as much as he needed Clemson. Maybe more.

Hopkins big play against LSU has been cited by many as the play that turned around the program. That doesn't happen without Hopkins.

Nuk is a great athlete with a 100 lb chip on his shoulder

Jun 15, 2020, 1:56 PM

Bill, my view about Nuk is simple: he was dedicated

Jun 15, 2020, 4:18 PM

to Clemson and an outstanding contributor to our football program.

I respect his right to his opinions and bear no ill will. As to his NFL introduction, frankly, that he has opted to say Daniel High hasn't been an iota of concern either...in fact, I view that as rather insignificant.

As a Clemson brethren, I enjoy watching him play and will continue to do so.

I admire any man, regardless of circumstance or age, for his willingness to speak his heart and mind. Nuk and DW4 both did, and I salute them for their honesty and bravery in doing so.

well said***

Jun 15, 2020, 4:47 PM

Why do you not like the name NUK?***

Jun 15, 2020, 5:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stick to shagging/ jet boat posts you old crank.***

Jun 15, 2020, 7:08 PM

Jun 15, 2020, 7:24 PM

I bet you were cheering his name when he caught the pass on 4th and 16.

Jun 15, 2020, 8:02 PM

I don't think this message went the way Bill planned it. If you can't support our players outside of their uniform don't support them with it on. The entire team is on board. You're welcome to find another team to pull for. We don't tear ours down.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic