Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I see people blaming "the media" for causing a "panic"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

I see people blaming "the media" for causing a "panic"

Mar 9, 2020, 11:12 AM

What are they saying that is causing people to panic. I don't watch "news" media on TV, but nothing I've seen online has seemed panick-y to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jeffery Dahmer ATE more Americans than CV-19 has killed

Mar 9, 2020, 11:15 AM

so far.

the good ole redneck american flu kills 10's of thousands of people annually.

the 24 hour hype is causing the panic.

... or maybe Italy?***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK. Do you have an answer for my question?***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Jeffery Dahmer ATE more Americans than CV-19 has killed ]

the 24 hour news cycle feeds the hype.

Mar 9, 2020, 12:18 PM

disasters drive viewership.

Viewership drives ad revenue.

So, would say it's not something specific being said

Mar 9, 2020, 1:02 PM

As much as it is the volume of what is being said?

Re: Jeffery Dahmer ATE more Americans than CV-19 has killed

Mar 9, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Jeffery Dahmer ATE more Americans than CV-19 has killed ]

So far the Coronavirus is over 30 times more deadly than the flu.

Re: Jeffery Dahmer ATE more Americans than CV-19 has killed

Mar 9, 2020, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Jeffery Dahmer ATE more Americans than CV-19 has killed ]

so far.

the good ole redneck american flu kills 10's of thousands of people annually.

the 24 hour hype is causing the panic.

You really think the 'hype' dropped the price of oil, shut the market down and Italy quarantined its entire country??? Really?

The fear is no one knows how bad this virus can get. And the Fox News thinking is that until it kills more people than the flu, it's just Dem/MSM hype. I never cease to be amazed at people willingness to replace fact with partisan ideology.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The price of oil dropped because of

Mar 9, 2020, 1:08 PM

Liberal elites want me to wash my hands?

Mar 9, 2020, 11:20 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In short, they are not. They are merely pointing out the

Mar 9, 2020, 11:29 AM

flaws in the administration's response to the virus. While S.Korea was testing thousand, the CDC had tested less than 500. There still aren't enough test kits. This, in the wealthiest country on earth.

Trump said today: "Fake News Media,' Democrats working to 'inflame the CoronaVirus situation' it's his only defense.

According to his logic, the stock market shut down this morning, automatically, after it dropped 7% just to make him look bad. Obviously, many of the investors are Republicans and could give a #### what the media says. But according to Trump, this is all because of the Dems and the fake news media. He is incompetent.

Italy has now shut down the whole country. 16 million people can't leave their homes. This just to make Trump look bad??

The fear of this virus is they don't know how bad it can get and there is no cure or vaccine. Will it continue to replicate 10x faster than the flue? Will it be resistant to known drugs? Can it morph into a more viral form?

I see the comparisons to the flu and find that ridiculous. More people get killed in car accidents so , as the logic goes, we should ignore a new virus that is spreading world wide.

The fear is that so much is unknown about this virus nor how bad it can get. According to Fox News, until it kills more people it's really not an issue. Mindless.

Is the administration doing something

Mar 9, 2020, 11:33 AM

that is causing a lack of test kits?

I haven't read any articles critical of the administration.

Re: Is the administration doing something

Mar 9, 2020, 11:37 AM

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21168087/cdc-coronavirus-test-kits-covid-19

Mar 9, 2020, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Is the administration doing something ]

that is causing a lack of test kits?

I haven't read any articles critical of the administration.

The CDC sent out test kits initially but they were flawed, one of the components of the test kit forced false negatives so they had to scrap them. The FDA declared an emergency and allowed hospital, labs, and universities to developed test kits if they could. The FDA waived oversight in order to try to get some kits together.

I'm amazed they don't just replicate or buy the kits that S. Korea has.

SOKO offered over a week ago to send 100k tests... Declined.***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SOKO offered over a week ago to send 100k tests... Declined.***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:41 AM

Why decline?

Re: SOKO offered over a week ago to send 100k tests... Declined.***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:44 AM

Maybe -

https://shero.substack.com/p/trump-could-profit-from-coronavirus

Mar 9, 2020, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Is the administration doing something ]

I can’t find the source now but I read last week that the US rejected the WHO kits in favor of these defective ones.

Plus the Administration dissolved the CDC’s pandemic response task force about 18 months ago.

Just because you hear it doesn't make it true.

Mar 9, 2020, 11:53 AM

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/democrats-misleading-coronavirus-claims/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/feb/28/michael-bloomberg/did-donald-trump-fire-pandemic-officials-defund-cd/

I get that it's a good talking point, and he did propose to make cuts to the CDC budget..

I realize that everything is a political team sport now, but this particular stump speech just isn't true.

I'm not even a real fan of the President, but it'd be great if people did even a cursory fact check sometimes.

GO TIGERS!!

Good find - didn’t come up when I googled

Mar 9, 2020, 12:12 PM

mea Culpa

Wasn't a "knock" on you personally.

Mar 9, 2020, 12:43 PM

See what I did there?

GO TIGERS!!

What would you want anyone to say about these?

Mar 9, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to In short, they are not. They are merely pointing out the ]

"Will it continue to replicate 10x faster than the flue? Will it be resistant to known drugs? Can it morph into a more viral form?"

If you know someone that can tell the future, I'd love to know the winning powerball numbers for Wed night.

Anyone blaming this market drop with a virus scare is...

Mar 9, 2020, 2:26 PM [ in reply to In short, they are not. They are merely pointing out the ]

ignoring what the oil producers did over the weekend. The virus has played a small part but imo, most of the drop was from OPEC refusing to decrease production.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good grief. thats like asking a bunch of witnesses to a

Mar 9, 2020, 11:38 AM

murder to describe the killer.

You'll get about 30 different answers.
I have a suggestion. Look for yourself and make your own judgements

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Slow played to protect the economy by The Narcissist...

Fusterclucked from the start...

ok, I'm assuming that post was meant for someone else b/c

Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 AM

it has nothing to do with my post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the 30 different answers...***

Mar 9, 2020, 12:00 PM

ahhhhhh***

Mar 9, 2020, 1:05 PM

a lot of “breaking news” sites and twitters

Mar 9, 2020, 11:40 AM

Are revealing every new case in every country like it’s the end of the world. “BREAKING: 5 new cases in Poland!” Etc etc. it creates a perception that things are going off the rails

Thank you for your answer.***

I think this could be a reason why it seems like

Mar 9, 2020, 11:46 AM

people are reacting worse to this outbreak than the swine flu one from a decade ago. (Which, honestly I don't even remember.) Everything is so immediate now with social media. The news cycle is measured in minutes, not days. There's a constant effort to put new information out, to satisfy the craving of us consumers.

16 Million to self-quarantine in Italy. Yep, "off the rails"***

Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to a lot of “breaking news” sites and twitters ]

What I don't understand is some of the panic buying

The hand sanitizer binge buying I get. Binge buying the soap? I kind of get it, but were you not using soap before? Does everyone in the US wash their hands like my 9 year old does?

Toilet paper? Bottled water? I don't understand the doomsday purchasing of these things. I don't recall seeing the screaming ##### in the symptom list. And no one has claimed the virus is water-borne, and if it were, boiling the water (should) kill it. I don't get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

I haven't noticed that.

Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 AM

I bought water Saturday and toilet paper yesterday...I didn't notice any difference in normal quantity on the shelves.

My wife is in pharma and spends a lot of time in Dr's

Mar 9, 2020, 11:44 AM

offices. She asked me to get her some hand sanitizer last week.

I can definitively say there's none to be had in greater Nashville or the 5 or so places I checked in Knoxville on Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't looked for that.

Mar 9, 2020, 11:47 AM

Don't even know what aisle that would be on, lol.

Try hand sanitizer, nitrile gloves, and Lysol spray...

Mar 9, 2020, 11:46 AM [ in reply to I haven't noticed that. ]

About 15', 6-8 shelves high in total, and all empty at a local Kroger...

Re: I haven't noticed that.

Mar 9, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to I haven't noticed that. ]

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/story/2020-03-06/ebay-bans-n95-masks-hand-sanitizer-coronavirus-price-gouging

It sort of boggles the mind what a bunch of simple-minded

Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to What I don't understand is some of the panic buying ]

easily manipulated lemmings we are. I absolutely include myself in that statement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whatever They are saying is working

Mar 9, 2020, 1:17 PM

I just got my first cancellation of an event from it.

SXSW is cancelled

Our other offices are having things cancel too.

Best sports weeks of the year coming up...

Mar 9, 2020, 1:28 PM

NCAA tournament, Masters, MLB opening day

It will be very interesting to see how this goes, just in that context.

Heck yeah, Opening F1 weekend! I just hope the

Mar 9, 2020, 1:30 PM

Australians allow the Ferrari team into the country. Can you imagine the travesty that would be the Australian Grand Prix without Ferrari in the paddock?

Masters sent an email last week saying the show will go on

Mar 9, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Best sports weeks of the year coming up... ]

Would be my luck that the one time I win the lottery, it will be cancelled for a random disease.

Luckily, not many Asians go to the Masters.

Mar 9, 2020, 1:32 PM

LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL

My flight to LA was 2/3 full

Mar 9, 2020, 5:59 PM [ in reply to whatever They are saying is working ]

This is the first time I can remember since coming back from a job interview my senior year 20 years ago that a plane wasn't jammed full.

ATL to LAX is one of the heaviest passenger legs that Delta runs. I had the 2-seat exit row all to myself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Imagine flying Southwest

Mar 9, 2020, 6:03 PM

If you get on early, grab a window, and just start coughing like it's your job every time someone looks at your row, you pretty much should have all three seats.

The 24hour news cycle can be to blame

Mar 9, 2020, 2:05 PM

Shows need to earn money by adding viewers. So much focus and 24/7 coverage. It's a big issue right now, but has the rest of the news just stopped? It's all coronavirus or politics.

We need fewer 'news' channels and to eliminate all the 'opinion' shows that pretend to be 'news'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The 24hour news cycle can be to blame

Mar 9, 2020, 2:36 PM

They're just giving the people what they want.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The 24hour news cycle can be to blame

Mar 9, 2020, 2:42 PM

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic