Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hero Of the Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,921

Hero Of the Game

Sep 9, 2015, 12:18 PM

My dad was the 94 year old WWII vet who was honored at the game Saturday. I just wanted to thank Clemson University the Athletic department and event staff, especially Caitlin Hartley for selecting him and for making it such a successful honor for him. It meant a lot to him also, that my daughter and nephews, all Clemson Alumni, were allowed to help him around and make sure he was okay.
My dad is reluctant to be labeled as a hero. He feels his service, while unique to him, is really a microcosm of the other hundred of thousands who served and sacrificed at that time. Several years ago he began to speak to schools, civic clubs and church groups. He had never spoken before an audience and my brother and I were blown away by his skill and the focus of the audience. He did this because he is aware that the numbers of WWII service members are thinning rapidly every day. He just wanted to do a small part to try and keep the history of the war in front of as many as possible. When he was on that field Saturday he preferred to be a representative of all his brethren who served.
Lastly I wanted to thank the members of Tiger Nation who honored him with a roaring standing ovation. To hear that brought a tear to my eye. He is very hard of hearing and I asked him if the crowd was loud. He said "Hell yes. I could not only hear it but thought I could feel it. It was one of the most incredible experiences I ever had. That is why I gave my Army salute to all four corners of the Stadium."
That ovation represents what being a Clemson Tiger is all about. That is why I wear my ring proudly every day. There is definitely "Something in These Hills".
Thanks to everyone.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was the loudest I cheered the entire game.

Sep 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

I thank him for his service.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Sep 9, 2015, 12:37 PM

God bless your dad, who is indeed a hero.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Your dad is a hero and I want his autograph***

Sep 9, 2015, 12:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

They truly were "The Greatest Generation"

Sep 9, 2015, 12:41 PM

your Dad's a special individual. Our thanks

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hero Of the Game

Sep 9, 2015, 12:41 PM

Thank you, Hartwell-Laker. I cheered loudly for your father and you can bet I had a tear in my eye! God Bless him and all men and women who faithfully serve in the United States' Armed Forces!! In my opinion, your father represents the greatest generation of Americans - and does so honorably!!!

Yep, I was cheering and clapping too! Point for you and

Sep 9, 2015, 1:22 PM

thank you to your Dad for his service!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing him with Tiger Nation!

Sep 9, 2015, 1:24 PM

nm

Sep 9, 2015, 2:08 PM

We were in the West End Zone and could see your father smiling as he saluted to each of the four corners of the stadium. We are proud of your dad and thank him for his service.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO SIR--

Sep 9, 2015, 2:09 PM

Thank You to your Dad!

I am the son of an Army Colonel. I know what your Dad means to you and should mean to everyone else.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank your dad for his service and story ...***

Sep 9, 2015, 2:16 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2015, 2:23 PM

That was a special moment Saturday. Thanks to your Dad!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't thank your dad enough

Sep 9, 2015, 3:00 PM

God bless him.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

The greatest generation......

Sep 9, 2015, 3:05 PM

Thank him for his service.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me your Dad is more than just a Hero of the game. He is

Sep 9, 2015, 3:13 PM

an American Hero for his sacrifices during WW II. I have study WW I and WW II in great depth. IMO it should be a subject all to itself for high school and college students. Since studying both wars as well as the Korean and Vietnam wars I have a new respect for all current and previous veterans.

My prayers and thanks go out to your father. It was great that he was honored at the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hero and legend in my book!!!

Sep 9, 2015, 4:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

terrific post..guess i'm officially an old phart,

Sep 9, 2015, 5:15 PM

pharts prefer pawsitive posts!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

My Dad is still kicking. 91 yr old former B-17G pilot.

Sep 9, 2015, 5:27 PM

Those guys were cut from a different cloth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just awesome! It was the highlight of my day

Sep 9, 2015, 5:41 PM

As my 5 yr old started asking all kinds of questions about who your father was and why we all cheered so loud.

Very special! Thank you and your father!

I loved that part of the game.

Sep 9, 2015, 5:43 PM

Also that the announcer said he had 1 child and 3 grandchildren who attended CU.

Both my Grandfathers were WW2 vets, one Air Force and the other a officer in the army. He told me his whole story before he passed which I wrote down. Sleeping in the trenches at the battle of Anzio and picking up his buddies body parts every morning after the night shellings.

These men fought for the future of our great country!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May I use your handkerchief "hartwell-laker"?!

Sep 9, 2015, 5:52 PM

GeeZ...wish I'd seen & experienced this great life moment..especially at DV.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I salute him and The Greatest Generation. Ooh Rah!***

Sep 10, 2015, 8:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,921
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic