Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
stoudt vs boyd
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,567

stoudt vs boyd

Aug 21, 2014, 8:58 AM

I hate it for Boyd that he is struggling in the NFL. He is one of my favorite Clemson players in recent memory.

I'm starting to think because of this, he actually wasn't as good as his stats entailed. It makes me think that in this offense, you can simply plug players in and get similar production.

Again, I really hate that he is not doing well, but it definitely makes me feel better about Cole Stoudt running the offense. Early in camp I thought Stoudt would do well, but was just not as talented as Boyd. Now I'm starting to think he may have similar passing stats that Boyd had last year.

I think that Stoudt could be a better pocket passer than Boyd, but he also won't have a Sammy Watkins or Deandre Hopkins in his only year. I'm confident that Stoudt will have a good game against Georgia. We shall see in 9 days!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do not want to go down this road.

Aug 21, 2014, 9:13 AM

It's a long way back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: stoudt vs boyd

Aug 21, 2014, 9:14 AM

You hit it on the head. Boyd should not be struggling like this. Which leads me to believe as you said, cole will be better.

We shall see. I'm going to argue that Coles pre snap read is better than Boyd's.

It's the battle between the appealing player and the best player. A lot of times, appealing can be confused for best.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 9:22 AM

Boyd had a big arm, he could get the ball downfield quickly. That skill in addition to Nuke, Watkins, and others allowed our offense to stretch the defense. That ability is spread the opposing D and subsequently take advantage of it is what I fear we will be lacking.

Boyd was not just a system QB, there are going to be times

Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM

when we wish we still had him. I think Cole has a chance to be good but we will have to see. Personally, I think it's insane to knock on Tajh after he did so many great things. So he made a few mistakes now and then, all players do. I thank Tajh for the victories over LSU, Ohio State and Georgia.

Re: Boyd was not just a system QB, there are going to be times

Aug 21, 2014, 9:46 AM

I wasn't knocking Boyd. He was a great Clemson qb and one of my favorite players. He definitely put the team on his shoulders multiple times, especially the LSU game. I also can't think of another college qb that had a better deep ball. I just think that his struggles in the NFL are indicative of having a great offensive system for quarterbacks.

Re: Boyd was not just a system QB, there are going to be times

Aug 21, 2014, 12:05 PM

Consider Manziel, he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off last year because his oline didnt protect the way it should. He had a few good receivers to pass too, but other than that he did really well. However, his debut in the pros didnt go quite so well either. It is a lot different when every athlete on the field is a former all american and one of the best of the best at their respective positions. Plus he didnt have much time to learn the system yet.

your handle makes me want to TD every post you make.***

Aug 21, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: stoudt vs boyd ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: your handle makes me want to TD every post you make.***

Aug 21, 2014, 9:41 AM

It's for Appalachian state!! Couldn't afford out of state tuition at Clemson, but most of my family went to Clemson.

do you even message bored bro? that wasn't a response

Aug 21, 2014, 9:42 AM

to you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: your handle makes me want to TD every post you make.***

Aug 21, 2014, 9:41 AM [ in reply to your handle makes me want to TD every post you make.*** ]

It's for Appalachian state!! Couldn't afford out of state tuition at Clemson, but most of my family went to Clemson.

Aug 21, 2014, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: stoudt vs boyd ]

I'm not ready to say he will be better than Boyd, but with Boyd's NFL showing it is definitely a possibility. I thought Boyd outplayed many qb's that are rookies in the league this year. But Logan freaking Thomas is performing better than him now. Logan Thomas was one of the worst starting college qb's that got drafted in the NFL in quite some time.

I just hate seeing one of our greatest players ever

Aug 21, 2014, 9:48 AM

get criticized so much. I don't think you were criticizing so much as see it on here so much I think any post like this usually ends up with somebody downplaying his abilities and achievements. He was also a great guy and put everything he had into it.

Tajh was better than cole but cole isn't prone to breakdowns

Aug 21, 2014, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: stoudt vs boyd ]

can manage the game better than tajh. Tajh made some throws I'm not sure the best qbs in the country could make, 4th and 16 for example, some people don't realize how incredible of a throw that was I don't see how anything but a robot could make that calculated of throw but tajh did.

Aug 21, 2014, 9:49 AM

Actually Mountaineer, I think it has more to do with Boyd's amazing COLLEGE talents do not always translate to the NFL, and not necessarily with the system that we run.

That said - I have been a Cole supporter for 2-3 years and am thrilled to see him get his chance to shine. Cole has some amazing talents on his own. He has great touch on the ball, makes his reads quickly, gets rid of the ball to OPEN receivers, and PROTECTS THE BALL as well as anyone. So IMO - we will be fine.

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON BOYD'S TALENTS!!!!! Get over it already.

Garrett Gilbert

Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM

Was one of Morris' QB's in high school who was very successful and I believe a five star QB to sign with the Longhorns and you see what happened to him w/o this system.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 10:50 AM

The OP has a point. He is not hating on Boyd but making the point that maybe CM's system has a bigger influence on our success at QB than some thought.

I still think Tajh is a very good QB. He throws a great deep ball and can be laser accurate - for example, that throw to Nuke against LSU won the game.

The West Coast Offense the Jets run is an adjustment for him but he is a smart guy and will learn their system or someone else's.

My only knock on Tajh (which is no different than many other QBs) is that he is prone to throwing to his favorite target instead of taking the best read. The throw to Nuke is an example. It ended well for us but he had a much easier throw to a wide open to Adam H.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,567
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic