Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
spent most of the day on Fridgidaire Gallery fridge repair.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

spent most of the day on Fridgidaire Gallery fridge repair.

Jul 26, 2020, 5:27 PM

the upper ice maker quit working on the in-the-door upper unit of my 2014 French Door Bottom Freezer. Per youtube vid's, it's common that they freeze up with excessive ice due to poor design, particularly insulation and sealing. So I took it apart, had excessive ice, but not as bad as video's, thawed the ice, and put it back together. Many comments said they've had a ton of repeated occurences, some said this ice removal lasted a couple years. Since mine was 6 yrs old before this happened, I'm hoping for the best. There a factory kit of redesigned gaskets and motor housing on e-bay for $30, that may be my next step. Seems like it should be free, but wut ev.

More irritating, and related to the poor design/insulation issue, is I realized the back of the fridge is rusting, due to condensation behind the upper ice maker. Apparently Fridgidaire offers a $500 big piece of foam to fix this. Right. Thanks to Youtube, used a leftover truck bed cap mounting roll of foam, 2 layers thick, and some good 3M aluminum duct tape good to -40 degrees, after removing the excess rust and a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer. A couple of dots of rusted through metal. On a fridge 6 yrs old.

We'll see how it works out.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Similar happened on my GE, design flaw.

Jul 26, 2020, 5:49 PM

I sweater got appliance makers must hire the dumbest engineers they can find. Its an ice box! How hard can that be?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Consumer Reports says don't buy ice & water in the door,

Jul 26, 2020, 6:02 PM

maybe not icemakers at all. It must be an insolvable engineering quagmire. Either that, or it costs $2.27 to make them better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was gonna respond with 15 yr old ice and water in the door

Jul 26, 2020, 8:26 PM

but didn't want to jinx myself

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last weekend I pulled out an ice cold beer from a

Jul 26, 2020, 6:17 PM

75 year old refrigerator.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PBR is good.******

Jul 26, 2020, 6:19 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, I have thought all day about all those white

Jul 26, 2020, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Last weekend I pulled out an ice cold beer from a ]

rounded-top fridges in garages or carports, that just won't die. America slipping away.

Hmm, I wonder what the cost breakdown is.

Jul 27, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Last weekend I pulled out an ice cold beer from a ]

You're paying a lot more in electricity...but not paying for a new fridge every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: spent most of the day on Fridgidaire Gallery fridge repair.

Jul 26, 2020, 9:41 PM

Just get a side by side. Not as hip as the bottom freezer, but you don’t have to make ice in the refrigerator portion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: spent most of the day on Fridgidaire Gallery fridge repair.

Jul 27, 2020, 12:01 AM

Do you have ample space behind and above the fridge? Look up fridge specs for clearance.

I have the Gallery side by side(freezer on left not bottom)

Jul 27, 2020, 7:31 AM

And haven't had an issue with either that i've bought. The only reason I had to buy a second one is we left the first that was 5-6 years old in the old house.

T & P's for your ice maker repair...

I think KeoweeIndians is right, the challenge is

Jul 27, 2020, 7:49 AM

carving out a little freezer space in the refrigerator.

have ice this am!***

Jul 27, 2020, 7:52 AM

Praise Be***

Jul 27, 2020, 7:56 AM

I have the same fridge (well, not the SAME because builder

Jul 27, 2020, 8:09 AM

made a small change to the kitchen and we had to get a smaller version which cost almost twice what yours did) and the matching stove. We replaced the stove already, it didn't make it 5 years. Our ice maker cannot keep up with the demand. We find ourselves buying ice occasionally. I assume it will die soon and I will just go buy ice every few days.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, ours came with extra icemaker in the lower freezer.

Jul 27, 2020, 9:05 AM

Which seemed odd to us, until we realized the upper one is pretty slow. It keeps up with 2 people OK, but not with extra people using big glasses of ice. The lower one works really well. We got the top, or near top matching gas stove and microwave w/ convection, both of those still going strong.

Just be aware that if yours does quit, ice build-up could be the cause and youtube is yo fran. Fixed mine for $0 because I had the stuff to fix the rusty spot & insulate laying around in the workshop.

When you have to get the smaller fridge/freezer, the

Jul 27, 2020, 9:18 AM

lower icemaker goes away. That sucked for us since we had already ordered the convection oven.

Our control board on the convection oven went out, BTW. Had someone look at it, $60 to tell me $350 to fix it. So at that time, I am $400 in. Then I read about that NOT fixing the problems all the time and it being wiring issues, which MIGHT need replacing. Well, Greenr just orders the part himself ($150) and goes to put it in. Boom, wires shot, terminals burned, would need a professional to fix it anyways, got a new oven for $470. It's not nearly as nice, but it works for now.

Appliances should last longer than 5 years.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

similar here...LG fridge with linear compressor...

Jul 27, 2020, 11:03 AM

and compressor has failed after 5 yrs.

Turns out LG has had big problems with this compressor.

They are covering parts and labor for compressor for 10 years...only catch is that it has to be the original owner. This fridge came with the house, so not original owner. About $1100 to replace compressor and dryer including labor...which is not a lot less than a brand new unit.

F&^%

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when I shopped for this fridge. There were no

Jul 27, 2020, 11:19 AM

models from any manufacturer that got good reviews. I'm not sure you can still buy a fridge that will last 10 years. I think I'm gonna try to convince Mrs No that we need a large top-freezer ol skool style fridge with/no ice/water in the door. We did dump our 20+ yr old side-by-side, which had become our extra fridge when we bought the Fridgidaire, and bought a smallish top-freezer w/o icemaker, which seems to have more useable freezer space than the much larger side-by-side w/ice& water in the door.

We have a Fridgidaire...and want to blow it up*****

Jul 27, 2020, 11:58 AM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic